Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2023, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by lesamuel
How much backtracking is too much backtracking?

Found some space for SFO-SIN and SIN-TYO, would really love to fly SFO-SIN-TYO on one award... won't let me book online... my gut tells me "computer says no, agent will say no" but maybe?
For ‘circuitous’ routings the total distance cannot exceed double the direct mileage.

SFO-HND (I picked HND, but NRT will be similar) is ~5100 miles non-stop, but via singapore is ~11000 miles. So it exceeds the double distance (and not allowed).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles
I am looking to book YYJ-DPs with a stopover in IST. The seach feature says no results, however, when I piece it YYJ-IST there is availability for 83.5 and then from IST-to DPS for 80K. Would this be bookable if I call in? it would be 6 segments. should it price at 120000 for J?
Thanks!

Last edited by triptastic; Apr 25, 2023 at 4:05 pm Reason: err
Old Apr 25, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by triptastic
I am looking to book YYJ-DPs with a stopover in IST. The seach feature says no results, however, when I piece it YYJ-IST there is availability for 83.5 and then from IST-to DPS for 80K. Would this be bookable if I call in? it would be 6 segments. should it price at 120000 for J?
Thanks!
Difficult to know without you describing the full routing and all 6x segments.
Correct on pricing for NA --> Asia with a stopover (in J) if all partner metal.
Originating YYJ with an AC segment may change that price.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Thanks!
Hi fellow Victorian!

Quick YYJ-DPS search next Mar is showing options going west (ie via TPE, SIN) for less than 90K so I'm thinking via IST might not work in a single bound...
Old Apr 25, 2023, 5:53 pm

Hello fellow Victorian! Those options were not coming up for me. I will look again. do yiu recall what days you saw?
Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2023, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Difficult to know without you describing the full routing and all 6x segments.
Correct on pricing for NA --> Asia with a stopover (in J) if all partner metal.
Originating YYJ with an AC segment may change that price.
Hi Canadian MIke,
It is partner from SEA-IST. It is AC to SEA. When I seach origination in SEA, the flight doesn't show!?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:00 pm

Hi Canadian MIke,
It is partner from SEA-IST. It is AC to SEA. When I seach origination in SEA, the flight doesn't show!?
so you're trying yyj-yvr-sea-ist-???-dps? for when?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
so you're trying yyj-yvr-sea-ist-???-dps? for when?
Ideally leaving anytime between March 14-17 2024
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:06 pm

Hello fellow Victorian! Those options were not coming up for me. I will look again. do yiu recall what days you saw?
Thanks!
I am assuming you are looking far in the future, so I tried for the first half of Mar 2024 just using yyj-dps for 1 seat with at least 80% in J

if you give people way more info, someone can prob help, but I don't think you can do yyj->ist->dps in a single bound (ist is completely in the opposite direction of yyj to dps), pretty sure it will price as two bounds so prob closer to 200k
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I am assuming you are looking far in the future, so I tried for the first half of Mar 2024 just using yyj-dps for 1 seat with at least 80% in J

if you give people way more info, someone can prob help, but I don't think you can do yyj->ist->dps in a single bound (ist is completely in the opposite direction of yyj to dps), pretty sure it will price as two bounds so prob closer to 200k
It should be fine distance-wise, YYJ-IST-DPS is less than double of YYJ-DPS. That's the hard limit.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
It should be fine distance-wise, YYJ-IST-DPS is less than double of YYJ-DPS. That's the hard limit.
Isn't there a rule that you can't go over the wrong ocean to get to your destination in a single bound? This would be North America to Pacific over Atlantic zone? Or is that not a thing?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:42 pm

Isn't there a rule that you can't go over the wrong ocean to get to your destination in a single bound? This would be North America to Pacific over Atlantic zone? Or is that not a thing?
It's in the T&C with India region being the exception. That said, it seems to be loosely (if at all) enforced, as I see many YYZ-China route options that goes through Europe & Middle East (e.g. YYZ-LHR-PEK/PVG, YYZ-CAI-PVG/HGH, YYZ-AUH/ADD-PKX/PVG/CAN), they are priced as one-way awards based on the NA-Pacific chart.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 2:41 pm

I've booked a few from NA-ME-SIN/BKK.

I think the western-most departure point was: YYC-FRA-IST-DAC-SIN.

So rules-wise YYJ-YVR-SEA-IST-SIN-DPS should be fine.

Mine were all-partner though, so the AC flights might complicate things.

Worth a call.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I feel that I should know the answers to these questions already ... but I haven't done this before, so I want to be sure.

Background: I have some one-way J reward flights booked for my parents, from AMS-YYZ. They are booked using PRs - I booked them as one-ways because the system was trying to charge me outlandishly higher rates when I booked them as part of a return. However, now they are booked as one-ways, it has suddenly occured to me that I should book an additional flight as part of the same PNR in order to keep the PNR (and PR) alive after the original flight, for use with future bookings.

So. Here's what I believe to be true ... but all of the following are actually questions. Are the following statements all correct?
  • I can only add an additional bound onto the tickets by calling in (not online).
  • If I add an additional bound, it will not cause the original bound to reprice
  • The additional bound can be for any date up to the PNR creation date + 350 days
  • There's no $30 phone service fee to add a bound, because the web site doesn't support that functionality
  • The additional bound doesn't even need to be a J segment ... any Y seat will be sufficient to keep the PNR alive
  • At any point before the ticket expires, I can call back in and add yet another new bound - and that new bound will benefit from the PR (and so be half price)

Is that all correct? Am I missing anything obvious?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 2:14 am

@CAPOnus

-true, can only add a bound by calling in
-false, adding the new flight will reprice the entire ticket at current rates
-true, can add up to a year later
-true, no fee
-true, can be Y or PY
-true...

However, depending on your current fare you may need to pay change fees. Also, you have AMS-YYZ. It may price if you book a flight now from YYZ to say CDG or TYO. but if you try and add something that makes no sense like BKK to TPE which has no connection with the first flight it may not price.

Another big issue is that priority rewards do expire so if you book it and then decide to change the flight again after expiry you won't be able to use it. Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.