Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Old Mar 2, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by exparagus
Could you elaborate on this? Does it mean I can book a flexible ticket for a few extra miles; keep changing the ticket until I'm satisfied with it for no change fees; then change the ticket type to non-flexible, and get refunded for the fare difference in points?
Yes. I've done it.

Originally Posted by exparagus
Do you know if AC has to "rebook" the entire itinerary? Sometimes there might not be any availability left, so I'm wondering if AC reps can just re-categorize the fare type, rather than having to cancel and rebook (cancelled segments esp. on partner airlines might not show up in inventory immediately after cancelling)
The agent can just change the ticket type without having to rebook anything. I've done it a few times recently.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Yes. I've done it.

The agent can just change the ticket type without having to rebook anything. I've done it a few times recently.
So you can just keep adjusting the current booking to another Flex award as long as there is Flex availablity? But you'd need to pay more points if higher, or you'll be refunded points if it's now lower, for the revised route/dates? And there are no change fees because it's a Flex Reward?

Then when you're satisfied you can downgrade to a Standard Reward, and get the difference in points (at that time) refunded to your account?

This can be handy for my planning, as right now I don't see availabilty for the dates that I prefer to travel (also, no guarantees it will ever come available).

Last edited by JJonahJ; Mar 2, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
So you can just keep adjusting the current booking to another Flex award as long as there is Flex availablity? But you'd need to pay more points if higher, or you'll be refunded points if it's now lower, for the revised route/dates? And there are no change fees because it's a Flex Reward?

Then when you're satisfied you can downgrade to a Standard Reward, and get the difference in points (at that time) refunded to your account?

This can be handy for my planning, as right now I don't see availabilty for the dates that I prefer to travel (also, no guarantees it will ever come available).
Yes. The only difficult part is having to wait on hold for hours each time you call and the possibility of getting a clueless agent.
Watch Commander likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:15 pm

Long long time lurker. Owe so many thanks to everyone here! After reviewing this thread for the last hour wanted to make sure I came to the right conclusion and ask a few questions.

Planning ahead with the goal of booking the following in April 2024: ORD-FRA-LHR-AUH-BOM/DEL-KTM as a oneway award without stopovers. It's a dumb routing given EY has a nonstop ORD-AUH, but LH F in the nose of the 747 together with the return of the EY A380 on LHR-AUH makes it all worth it. My question is if this even possible to book or would it run into issues with backtracking? The total milage is well within the limits of whats allowed, but when I tried to test it out today to make sure it would price the agent couldn't get to to price even in Y. Was this just an issue with the agent and HUCA, or is there something problematic with the routing I'm going for here?

My second question was pretty much answered already by others here, but to confirm, with the goal of scoring last minute LH F, book in J/F flex, then when changing the LH leg, or whenever I have my perfect itinerary locked in, change it to F low?
Old Mar 3, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Was there availability for all the legs in Y as specified? Backtracking isn't really a thing any more. Your search might be too far out (355 days is when award is generally released).
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:12 pm

It's definitely too far out at the moment, was more asking about the hypothetical bookability because I was seeing space in Y on cowtool but they were unable to price. Also noticed the same close in problem at others have with ORD to LHR via FRA in LH F being bookable online but the individual LH F segment from ORD to FRA was not coming up.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by propmeup
Was this just an issue with the agent and HUCA, or is there something problematic with the routing I'm going for here?
Seems like agent error? If the agent found every segment you provided, then it should price, whether as a one-way or multi-city.
propmeup likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:49 pm

I'm trying to book BKK-ORD with the following routing in J: BKK-AUH-CAI stopover CAI-VIE-ORD. When I call, the agents say it's pricing out at 150k. Is there anything I need to tell the agent so it'll price out correctly at 92.5k (87.5k + 5k stopover)?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by Dude
I'm trying to book BKK-ORD with the following routing in J: BKK-AUH-CAI stopover CAI-VIE-ORD. When I call, the agents say it's pricing out at 150k. Is there anything I need to tell the agent so it'll price out correctly at 92.5k (87.5k + 5k stopover)?
I usually just try firmly but politely clarifying to them that per Aeroplan's Reward Chart that is a routing < 11,000 PAC - NA and quote the price.
If not, HUCA - call again, different agent.
Dude likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
I usually just try firmly but politely clarifying to them that per Aeroplan's Reward Chart that is a routing < 11,000 PAC - NA and quote the price.
I'm trying to determine how the value of 150K would be reached. Since BKK-AUH-CAI is Pacific to Atlantic, a partner award for this range would be 60K. And then CAI-VIE-ORD would be Atlantic to NA, so on partner award this route would be 90K, and so that adds up to 150K. Is this correct? So they agent is not treating this as a stopover and instead pricing it up as two separate award bookings?

But a partner award from BKK to ORD is Pacific to NA, so it should be treated as 87.5K, plus a 5K charge for adding the stopover? Thanks for your patience to help me understand.
Dude likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I'm trying to determine how the value of 150K would be reached. Since BKK-AUH-CAI is Pacific to Atlantic, a partner award for this range would be 60K. And then CAI-VIE-ORD would be Atlantic to NA, so on partner award this route would be 90K, and so that adds up to 150K. Is this correct? So they agent is not treating this as a stopover and instead pricing it up as two separate award bookings?

But a partner award from BKK to ORD is Pacific to NA, so it should be treated as 87.5K, plus a 5K charge for adding the stopover? Thanks for your patience to help me understand.
Yeah, agents are very bad if you tell them "I'd like to book a flight from A to B and then B to C". Even before the stopover program was introduced, agents got it wrong. Now, even more so. You have to be very clear AND hope you get an agents who knows the program. If they refuse, hang up call again.

You're interpreting what's happening correctly, JJonahJ.
Dude and JJonahJ like this.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
I've had such bad experiences... I gave up for a while. Even without a stopover, I've had them quote me nonsense for changing all-partner flights, quoting me the sum of the segments. I found they're "better" now, but still not great.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Even before the stopover program was introduced
I've been using Aeroplan stopovers extensively since 2013. What exactly do you mean?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:30 pm

Exclamation Who is right Aeroplan or me?

I think the call center is pricing an award incorrectly, but want to make check with the experts here.

It is a one-way Pacific Zone to North America with a stopover:
Route: BKK-SIN-BAH-CAI <Stopover> CAI-VIE-BRU-IAD
Total Distance: 11,949 mi (less than double BKK-IAD distance)
Class: Business (all segments)
Airlines: SQ; GF; MS; OS; SN; SN
Connection Time: All less than 24 hours, except the stopover.

The call center is pricing it at 150K + 5k stopover. I believe it should be 115k + 5k based off the award chart. I think there are charging the international first price from the award chart, but all segments are in business.

Update: Look like the issue is that the GF flight is a triangle flight on some days. Not the day I am flying but that threw off the system. I was able to use another flight.

Last edited by IAD_flyer; Mar 6, 2023 at 7:38 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've had such bad experiences... I gave up for a while. Even without a stopover, I've had them quote me nonsense for changing all-partner flights, quoting me the sum of the segments. I found they're "better" now, but still not great.

I've been using Aeroplan stopovers extensively since 2013. What exactly do you mean?
The "5k per stopover" part of the program.

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
I think the call center is pricing an award incorrectly, but want to make check with the experts here.

It is a one-way Pacific Zone to North America with a stopover:
Route: BKK-SIN-BAH-CAI <Stopover> CAI-VIE-BRU-IAD
Total Distance: 11,949 mi (less than double BKK-IAD distance)
Class: Business (all segments)
Airlines: SQ; GF; MS; OS; SN; SN
Connection Time: All less than 24 hours, except the stopover.

The call center is pricing it at 150K + 5k stopover. I believe it should be 115k + 5k based off the award chart. I think there are charging the international first price from the award chart, but all segments are in business.
Funny, you guys should get in touch. Either way, read the couple posts above yours. Same issue.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 7:57 pm

Yeah, agents are very bad if you tell them "I'd like to book a flight from A to B and then B to C". Even before the stopover program was introduced, agents got it wrong. Now, even more so. You have to be very clear AND hope you get an agents who knows the program. If they refuse, hang up call again.

You're interpreting what's happening correctly, JJonahJ.
Thanks Smiley. I wonder if it would help to start the conversation with "I'd like to book a flight from A to C", and then infill the segments in between and mention that there will be a stopover at B. I remember having to start my chats with the Aeroplan reps this way when I was booking mini-RTW trips in the olden days. A number of times the agents were a bit peeved with me, saying "You should just say you want to go from here to here, instead of rambling off all the segment by segment info".
Funny, you guys should get in touch. Either way, read the couple posts above yours. Same issue.
I wonder though. Their itineraries in general are similar, but in Dude 's scenario the agent quoted 150K, which appears to be 2 separate itineraries. Whereas in for IAD_flyer the agent is quoting 150K + 5K, which does seem like it's pricing as First instead of Biz class.
IAD_flyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.