Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
CGK-AUH-FRA-HEL stopover HEL-MUC-ZRH-ORD-RDU class: J all on partners (ey, lh, lx, ua)

The representative is quoting ~200,000 points and saying that it "cant" be done as a "one way" with a stopover. It has to be two one ways.

My reading of the chart shows it should be 100,000 miles plus the stopover fee as this is a single direction award from pacific to north america
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I see no reason that shouldn't be permitted, but I've run into similar things where they seem to want to do two one-ways, even when I just want a connection rather than a stopover.
You can only have a maximum of six segments per one-way bound, so the above itinerary wouldn't be bookable.

But otherwise, I see no reason why this shouldn't price as a one-way bound (+5000 miles for the stopover).
Old May 27, 2021, 8:08 pm

Book the first six for 105k + 5k, then the final leg for 10k?
Old May 27, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
You can only have a maximum of six segments per one-way bound, so the above itinerary wouldn't be bookable.
Do you have a link to this? I don't doubt it, I'm just on a mission to read all the things.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Do you have a link to this? I don't doubt it, I'm just on a mission to read all the things.
I believe Mark Nasr confirmed this during one of the calls with bloggers.

Several bloggers have mentioned this rule (though they probably copy info from each other), e.g.
https://princeoftravel.com/blog/new-aeroplan-minirtw/
Old May 28, 2021, 11:03 am

Man, don't even start me on those bloggers.
Old May 28, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Man, don't even start me on those bloggers.
Aren't you one of those??
Old May 28, 2021, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
Aren't you one of those??
Old May 30, 2021, 5:54 am

I want to book a partner award (Etihad) with a stopover (AMM-AUH-MCT) with a two day stopover in AUH. From what I understand, this should be possible for the cost of the first award (AMM-AUH) + 5000 miles. I've spoken numerous times with Aeroplan agents who insist it must be booked as two awards and that to use the stopover benefit I can't travel within a single region but must cross into it. I didn't think that was the case. Am I mistaken or should keep calling? Thank you for any help you can offer!
Old May 30, 2021, 11:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CedarSwampThing
I want to book a partner award (Etihad) with a stopover (AMM-AUH-MCT) with a two day stopover in AUH. From what I understand, this should be possible for the cost of the first award (AMM-AUH) + 5000 miles. I've spoken numerous times with Aeroplan agents who insist it must be booked as two awards and that to use the stopover benefit I can't travel within a single region but must cross into it. I didn't think that was the case. Am I mistaken or should keep calling? Thank you for any help you can offer!
Wouldn't be much point to paying the 5K points for a stopover if you have to book it as two one-ways...

This article suggests that a stopover is permitted in the same zone, using the example of LHR-FRA (stop)-MAD. But I don't know that Aeroplan as published anything on it.

This route doesn't violate the 100% rule mentioned in the article, as AMM-AUH-MCT is only 0.4% longer than the non-stop AMM-MCT distance.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by CedarSwampThing
HUCA? This should be bookable as far as I understand the rules...
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:10 am

I know this isnt a helpful reply but in my recent experience the new aeroplan system is terrible. Agents stating the award chart is for "informational purposes only" and they are holding fast to this printed confirmation on the chart. There is little value. Every time I try to use the stopover feature the agent breaks the flight into two seperate one ways. I guess onto the next program.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I think agents are being instructed to treat stopovers as two one-ways, or at least they aren't being shown how to book them as stopovers with only the 5K surchage. That is the sense I got from the agent I spoke to yesterday who said something about the two segments I wanted to combine with a stopover as being in different fare categories, although both were entirely with partners and the award costs given on the AC website were what is on the award chart. She quoted me as a cost the price of the two one-ways PLUS the 5K stopover charge.

I'm curious, when this happens to others do you simply HUCA or do you try and ask if a supervisor can look into it? I hate asking for the supervisor, but I've found in the past I've never been able to get anything other than a standard booking done unless a supervisor got involved.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: AE
If they are doing a stopover option or a multi city option, they should be booking from availability rather than using the lowest price option. This should then price the applicable points if the itinerary/route does allow a stopover and it fits within the guidelines of a stopover.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
In reference to my original post and the posts that came after, it is my understanding that dynamic pricing only applies to flights on AC. For partner airlines the award price is fixed, is it not? Therefore if a legal itinerary with a stopover is all on other carriers and there is availability on the Aeroplan site, they shouldn't be charging more than an extra 5K should they?

The itinerary I want is YYZ-EWR-IST-DAR stopover in DAR and then DAR-ADD-VFA. I already booked the first leg one-way (YYZ-EWR-IST-DAR) and want to add the second leg (DAR-ADD-VFA) to the itinerary. There is availability showing on the Aeroplan site for DAR-ADD-VFA. I did the math and the entire itinerary doesn't seem to go over the allowed mileage. Am I missing something?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gspurr
In reference to my original post and the posts that came after, it is my understanding that dynamic pricing only applies to flights on AC. For partner airlines the award price is fixed, is it not? Therefore if a legal itinerary with a stopover is all on other carriers and there is availability on the Aeroplan site, they shouldn't be charging more than an extra 5K should they?
Assuming YYZ-EWR is operated by UA and not AC, that's 100% correct.

Originally Posted by gspurr
The itinerary I want is YYZ-EWR-IST-DAR stopover in DAR and then DAR-ADD-VFA. I already booked the first leg one-way (YYZ-EWR-IST-DAR) and want to add the second leg (DAR-ADD-VFA) to the itinerary. There is availability showing on the Aeroplan site for DAR-ADD-VFA. I did the math and the entire itinerary doesn't seem to go over the allowed mileage. Am I missing something?
I'd tend to agree 100% with you. The only question is whether there are any system limitations that would prevent an agent from adding the DAR-ADD-VFA part when the YYZ-EWR-IST-DAR part has already been booked / is no longer available. In theory my answer would be "it shouldn't matter", but I have limited datapoints since the launch of the new AE program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.