Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I believe that schedule changes under 15 minutes get automatically accepted.

Maybe not instantly, but automatically.

A minor change isn't free rein to do whatever you want.
SilverChris likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
How long can one wait before accepting a suggested itinerary or self-accommodating to something different? I have a couple of flights in the autumn that had a schedule change and would rather wait until some deadline than just reschedule them now.
Don't commit early. You still have lots of time
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Booked AC 306 YVR-YUL on aeroplan points July 1 in PY. Just recently received notice that aircraft changed to 2 cabin 330 and I’m now in Y with same seat number. No offer for compensation given the higher amount of points spent to book PY.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
That's good to know. Just had flights from YYZ to MSY in December returning in January completely obliterated last night. The new suggested itinerary and flight times are pretty garbage and the flights are now Rouge from Jazz. Not pleased.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac/elite
Booked AC 306 YVR-YUL on aeroplan points July 1 in PY. Just recently received notice that aircraft changed to 2 cabin 330 and I’m now in Y with same seat number. No offer for compensation given the higher amount of points spent to book PY.

The web site does not offer an option to change your flight for free?
Old May 26, 2023, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
The web site does not offer an option to change your flight for free?
It does. However, I am connecting to another flight and this is the only one that works for me. I don’t mind flying Y, I mind flying Y while paying for PY in points.
Old May 26, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC 75K
It does. However, I am connecting to another flight and this is the only one that works for me. I don’t mind flying Y, I mind flying Y while paying for PY in points.
Looks like the new A330s are operating as J/Y within NA but PY/Y internationally. You’re due a refund of points…not sure how they calculate the refund though. Try calling or worst case apply for the refund after you complete the trip.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Last time this happened to me the agents refused to make a change because I waited too long after the change notification (2-3weeks) and told me I had 2-3 days to call them.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
I have a latitude booking that was changed, and although their suggested new itinerary is explicitly in latitude economy, none of the “alternative” options I can select instead say anything other than economy. Will these definitely be in latitude or is some sort of downfare possible? See pic - outbound is unchanged, inbound is my preferred alternative.

Old May 26, 2023, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you booked Latitude, and it screws up, you can call and get it fixed.
kalderlake and flyingcrooked like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Looks like the new A330s are operating as J/Y within NA but PY/Y internationally. You’re due a refund of points…not sure how they calculate the refund though. Try calling or worst case apply for the refund after you complete the trip.
Called and agent said there’s nothing they can do at this point, but that I should file a complaint after the flight and I’ll have some points refunded. They couldn’t tell me how many.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anorg90
Last time this happened to me the agents refused to make a change because I waited too long after the change notification (2-3weeks) and told me I had 2-3 days to call them.
Was the web site initially offering to check for alternate itineraries? Was it still at the time you called?

(Surely there is no such 2/3 days rule. But maybe the system did something. Or you inadvertently "accepted" the offered new itinerary.)
Old May 27, 2023, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called and agent said there’s nothing they can do at this point, but that I should file a complaint after the flight and I’ll have some points refunded. They couldn’t tell me how many.
Well, if you don't ant to switch to a different itineray, there is really nothing they can do. As to refunding you miles, that's with aeroplan. I doubt that an gent on the phone would be able to calculate what the refund should be. Probably should be based upon historic data, but them using later ones might actually work in your favor.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by anorg90
Well, if you don't ant to switch to a different itineray, there is really nothing they can do. As to refunding you miles, that's with aeroplan. I doubt that an gent on the phone would be able to calculate what the refund should be. Probably should be based upon historic data, but them using later ones might actually work in your favor.
I actually would have just cancelled and rebooked, but the cost in points has gone way up since I booked back in March and now economy is more than I paid for PY.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:29 am

Was the web site initially offering to check for alternate itineraries? Was it still at the time you called?

(Surely there is no such 2/3 days rule. But maybe the system did something. Or you inadvertently "accepted" the offered new itinerary.)
We never got any change notification, the flight just switched. I noticed it happened in January but never got the notification to accept anything. The actual “your flight has changed” email came mid-April and then they declined to make any changes a couple weeks after that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.