Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Flying out of ICN and the AC flight is delayed and will misconnect in Canada as a result. Found an alternate routing from GMP on a *A carrier, but AC says that's an airport change despite it being a sister airport and can't ticket it. Is this legit or should I HUACA?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
AC Award Invol Change

I have an AC award redemption for this week. It’s for a simple UA round trip flight. UA changed the flight time by 12 hours and it’s a once daily flight so my option was to take the earlier flight same day, the next day, or cancel the outbound. I decided to cancel the outbound. However, the pnr still reflects I have an outbound leg on both ac and ua website when I look it up and it even lets me change seat assignments. And I wasn’t refunded the miles so I called back to see if there was a mistake. I was told for these types of changes I have to call back after the journey is finished to get the miles and taxes+fees for the cancelled segment credited back. Is that really the process with AC? Never had that experience with other airlines. I’m worried that the original outbound still shows up and says I should be checking in on the AC app and that if I don’t show, I’ll be a no show and have the return leg of this reservation cancelled.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
I have an AC award redemption for this week. It’s for a simple UA round trip flight. UA changed the flight time by 12 hours and it’s a once daily flight so my option was to take the earlier flight same day, the next day, or cancel the outbound. I decided to cancel the outbound. However, the pnr still reflects I have an outbound leg on both ac and ua website when I look it up and it even lets me change seat assignments. And I wasn’t refunded the miles so I called back to see if there was a mistake. I was told for these types of changes I have to call back after the journey is finished to get the miles and taxes+fees for the cancelled segment credited back. Is that really the process with AC? Never had that experience with other airlines. I’m worried that the original outbound still shows up and says I should be checking in on the AC app and that if I don’t show, I’ll be a no show and have the return leg of this reservation cancelled.
If they processed it as an involuntary change, they wouldn't have repriced this, so I suppose I can see that happening. But if it's still showing on the PNR, that really suggests that it wasn't cancelled.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 6:05 pm

Read the recent posts here on equipment change when booked on an award ticket. Adam Smith had a pretty good run down on this but is there a consensus on this or ymmv. Just found out my yyz-yvr flight got downgraded from a789 to a max8 and we were booked in J. Trying to figure out my options.

On a side note noticing a lot of 789/777 dissappearing on this route.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 6:39 pm

I purchased a revenue P fare and one leg was single cabin so booked as M in economy. There is now a business cabin due to a schedule change and aircraft swap.
Is there a magic phrase I should use to get into business for this leg? Because the phone agent claims that I can't be booked into business because I am booked in M (with underlying P fare basis)...
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I had the same experience recently. Original flight was with AC, HKG-YVR-HKG. The departure time changed by 15 minutes, so AC sent an email with "ACTION REQUIRED: Your AC flight has changed". I ignored it due to the small time difference, but then I eventually clicked on the link in the email and I was given an option to select CX non-stop, with no cost to accept the change.

Did you get a answer to your questions? I didn't see a reply to your post and I'm wondering the same. I think I knew the answer at one time (pre-COVID) but now I'm not so sure any more. Anyways, I think it used to be a 1 hr change was required and then you'd be eligible for a free change, if award inventory is available. Also, only allowed to change the outbound if the schedule changed on the outbound (inbound cannot be changed without a fee, unless it also changed by an hour or more).

Looking to see if this is still how it works. I am certain that my memory isn't as good as it used to be, 3 years ago. 😄
​​​​​​​Back in November there was a trivial 20 minute time change for my YVR-NRT flight and the system allowed me to change both the outbound and inbound flights, +1/-1 day both ways and I had a list of about 10-15 flights to choose from. I was on an award ticket.

It was weird because the option to change was only available in the Air Canada App. But the process was surprisingly very simple and not what I expected out of Air Canada.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:38 am

I booked a speculative YVR trip in May. SFO-YVR was cancelled, and I was rebooked from Jazz to mainline departing 30 minutes later.

The only tool is offering me SFO-YYZ-YVR.

I really wish I'd booked this with a FP now...
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The only tool is offering me SFO-YYZ-YVR.
I'd fly that for the bonus SQM.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:27 am

Oh I left out the important part. It was an Aeroplan booking.
so no SQM.
ffsim and vancouver25k like this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
I have a flight booked in late May to PHX. The original booking was YYC-YVR-PHX-YVR-YYC and was booked back in January. Of course there has been a sched change. When I look online, it is now offering YYC-YYZ-PHX as an option and the reverse for the return. The times worked for me and I liked the free SQM. When I select the option, it comes up with a notice the itinerary could not be confirmed and to call in. I called in and after 15 minutes or sop, they say they can't do it as it would need to be 2 separate bookings each way to go through YYZ and would cost me money. I understand I can't normally book that routing on a single ticket, but AC changed the flights and AC offered (and continues to offer) the routing on their website. Any ideas on how I can get this routing?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I have a flight from YYZ to YVR booked for June. Two tickets & seats on the flight ... one booked with cash, one with an AP reward. The tickets were both booked in PY (on a 789, I believe). Yesterday AC seems to have removed almost all of the widebodies from the YYZ-YVR route for June ... the two widebodies that are left are at the ends of the day (one early, one late), and not at all useful for me. So it seems that my only options are going to be Y or J.

I'm not really happy about having to fly in Y, although it seems unlikely that I'll be able convince AC to give me J for no additional cost. Do we have any precedent for what sort of refund I can ask for, if I do need to accept a Y ticket?
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If they processed it as an involuntary change, they wouldn't have repriced this, so I suppose I can see that happening. But if it's still showing on the PNR, that really suggests that it wasn't cancelled.
They sent me an email with my electronic ticket receipt. It says Invol Reroute under endorsements. Pulling up the ticket on AC and UA still show the outbound despite the ticket they emailed me only shows the return. Really wish I had booked this as two one ways. I normally do but figured my plans were solid and why go through the effort and paying $39 booking fee twice. Didn’t account for them changing schedule.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by canopus27
I have a flight from YYZ to YVR booked for June. Two tickets & seats on the flight ... one booked with cash, one with an AP reward. The tickets were both booked in PY (on a 789, I believe). Yesterday AC seems to have removed almost all of the widebodies from the YYZ-YVR route for June ... the two widebodies that are left are at the ends of the day (one early, one late), and not at all useful for me. So it seems that my only options are going to be Y or J.

I'm not really happy about having to fly in Y, although it seems unlikely that I'll be able convince AC to give me J for no additional cost. Do we have any precedent for what sort of refund I can ask for, if I do need to accept a Y ticket?
I just had similar: YVR-YYC-YYZ-onward in PY (not YVR-YYC as it's a 7M8 obviously), YYC-YYZ downgauged last night to 320. Just spent 25 minutes on the phone but was able to replace YVR-YYC-YYZ with direct YVR-YYZ in PY.

In the past, I've had IRROP get my AC PY (SFO-Europe) rebooked on UA in Y. I wrote in after and received a $340 refund.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I have a cash ticket PHL-YUL-NCE round trip for travel in a couple months, all on Air Canada/Express metal. The outbound PHL-YUL flight has been cancelled and the itinerary is now showing just YUL-NCE. There's a much earlier flight PHL-YUL that would result in over a 10 hour layover (was originally 3 hours), so not a great option anyway, however it is zeroed out in economy and only offering business class seats for sale. As it stands the only currently available AC flights would all involve adding another leg. Will AC rebook on other *A carriers in this circumstance? UA has PHL-EWR-NCE with decent timings. But they are not codeshared, they are only UA prime.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 10:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
Will AC rebook on other *A carriers in this circumstance? UA has PHL-EWR-NCE with decent timings. But they are not codeshared, they are only UA prime.
Possibly. Their preference is to keep you on AC metal on long-haul flights, but avoiding an extra connection or a very long layover might be a good reason. Your first stop should be checking the app or website to see if it offers you re-booking options. Often it has some pretty good choices, possibly including the flights you're hoping for.

If it's not yet offering re-booking options, give it a few days, it sometimes takes a while for the system to catch up. It might not offer you re-booking options until it has recognized the PHL-YUL cancellation and put you on an alternate routing.
ffsim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.