Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, and 2020 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The HOA
As George C says, BEEP BEEP BEEEP.

Why would you put yourself through that?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
As George C says, BEEP BEEP BEEEP.

Why would you put yourself through that?
Because there is no property in a desirable area of SF, in my price range, without an HOA?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:32 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I had to look up HOA. Now I understand.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:36 pm

I don't even know how you'd have a condo without an HOA. How are shared spaces maintained?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I don't even know how you'd have a condo without an HOA. How are shared spaces maintained?
Perhaps @Bohemian1 just needed to look up the term, as "condo board" is the term used here. I also thought it was the one used mostly in the US; I thought HOA was the term they used when it was detached houses, e.g. a gated community. (I've assumed you're buying something in an apartment-style building?)

Either way, the answer to your question is that you can't have a condo without some kind of board to make the decisions.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Either way, the answer to your question is that you can't have a condo without some kind of board to make the decisions.
Yeah, my general intolerance for fools is another reason I don't live in a condo.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Yeah, my general intolerance for fools is another reason I don't live in a condo.
Having lived in a condo for many years, I certainly hear that.

Of course, there's no free lunch. Living in a house has its own drawbacks, having to deal with clearing snow (not that Vancouverites know anything about that ) and leaves (or having to hire people to do it), and deal with every problem with the roof or furnace or anything else that goes wrong.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 2:13 pm

Yo Ho Ho and Fifteen Bottles of Rum ...

No fancy presentation, no accompanying charcuterie, but the bottles have arrived for our upcoming Virtual (and blind) Rum Tasting:

Very exciting!

A quick sniff test leads me to believe that at least one of them is a Spanish rum.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Having lived in a condo for many years, I certainly hear that.

Of course, there's no free lunch. Living in a house has its own drawbacks, having to deal with clearing snow (not that Vancouverites know anything about that ) and leaves (or having to hire people to do it), and deal with every problem with the roof or furnace or anything else that goes wrong.
The upside to being in a condo is that someone else maintains the common elements, the downside of being in a condo is that sometimes condo boards end up being an adult version of student politics with your six (or in Vancouver, seven) figure home as table stakes. With a freehold home you have the freedom to your own maintenance decisions, for better or for worse I suppose.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
.....having to deal with clearing snow (not that Vancouverites know anything about that ) and leaves (or having to hire people to do it), .....
That's what kids are for.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by smallmj
Sounds even more expensive than an HOA
smallmj likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 2:51 pm

Not really. $40 to a couple of enterprising young lads to clear all of my sidewalks. And I'm on corner lot.

For a couple of times a year ain't so bad.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
The upside to being in a condo is that someone else maintains the common elements, the downside of being in a condo is that sometimes condo boards end up being an adult version of student politics with your six (or in Vancouver, seven) figure home as table stakes. With a freehold home you have the freedom to your own maintenance decisions, for better or for worse I suppose.
That was kind of my point.

As for the pettiness, I'm well aware. My wife has sat on the condo board for most of the time we've owned this place. Our board has mostly been fairly good, but there have been some less pleasant times, and we've certainly heard some horror stories from other people.

Originally Posted by smallmj
Yeah, not only do you have to feed and clothe them, you need to buy more seats when you travel, bigger/more hotel rooms, bigger rental cars... The costs really pile up!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:52 pm

Perhaps @Bohemian1 just needed to look up the term, as "condo board" is the term used here. I also thought it was the one used mostly in the US; I thought HOA was the term they used when it was detached houses, e.g. a gated community. (I've assumed you're buying something in an apartment-style building?)

In BC the term is strata, rather than condo, but you are generally correct. This is not just about apartments or similar, though. It extends to "communities" that look like gated community HOAs in the US as well.

I've been on a strata board in BC and it sucked just as much as not being on the board, since you have almost as little impact . If you are in an area with shared spaces, then you don't have much choice, unfortunately.

I hope that your move-in date works out, but my $0.02 is to make sure that you know the full extent of the extra charge and anything that may be discovered after because of it. In my last strata we had a hefty charge that originally looked small, but turned out to be much bigger.

Looking forward to the anniversary do!
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:13 pm

I picked up a bottle of genepy yesterday. I haven't made anything with it yet, as I have some other, perishable, cocktail ingredients I'm trying to use up, but looking forward to using it, as it's very interesting.​​​
Bohemian1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.