Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canceling flight booked with eCoupon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K

Hi all-

I had an eCoupon issued last December for an issue I had on my flight (NOT a travel voucher). In seeking to burn it before it expires at the end of the year, I booked a flight for next year using it in combination with the Cyber Monday code.

What happens if I cancel the flight after the eCoupon would have expired- does the $$ vanish into thin air? Have Air Canada been extending the validity of such eCoupons in the current circumstances?

Does anyone have experience with canceling their flight within the first 24h paid with an eCoupon? Does it credit back immediately (i.e. I can use it immediately after to book a different flight) or does it take a while?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 2:55 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yamanote8
What happens if I cancel the flight after the eCoupon would have expired- does the $$ vanish into thin air? Have Air Canada been extending the validity of such eCoupons in the current circumstances?
You can now cancel bookings for a travel voucher that never expires, regardless of how you paid for the ticket originally. This is effectively a new eCoupon with no expiry date. So I think the question is essentially moot.
yamanote8 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You can now cancel bookings for a travel voucher that never expires, regardless of how you paid for the ticket originally. This is effectively a new eCoupon with no expiry date. So I think the question is essentially moot.
Thank you - very good to know - I wasn't sure if this applied to bookings made with an eCoupon.

Do you have any insight on how long the refunds to the new travel voucher have been taking lately? I know earlier in the year it was taking several weeks for the refund vouchers to process. Wondering if that has sped up a little bit in case I do end up changing my travel plans.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
To add to this question....

Does anyone know if it makes any difference if the flight booked is cancelled within 24 hours or after 24 hours of booking?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber
To add to this question....

Does anyone know if it makes any difference if the flight booked is cancelled within 24 hours or after 24 hours of booking?
Would like to know this as well, wondering if it makes any difference now canceling within 24h or do you just get a voucher for full amt regardless?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
If you cancel within 24 hours, you have the option of getting a full refund to the original form of payment. That would include an eCoupon. What's unknown is how long it might take them to process that refund to the eCoupon, which is likely to be manual, and could therefore take a while. But I don't think anyone here has actually tested it to see.

Unfortunately I burned up pretty much all my DeflateGate eCoupons in 2019 and earlier in 2020. If I still had a bunch, I'd happily do a test run of this to see how it worked out.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
If you cancel within 24 hours, you have the option of getting a full refund to the original form of payment. That would include an eCoupon. What's unknown is how long it might take them to process that refund to the eCoupon, which is likely to be manual, and could therefore take a while. But I don't think anyone here has actually tested it to see.

Unfortunately I burned up pretty much all my DeflateGate eCoupons in 2019 and earlier in 2020. If I still had a bunch, I'd happily do a test run of this to see how it worked out.
Not the fully the same scenario but I cancelled a Latitude ticket outside of the 24 hour window a few months ago where the payment included an eCoupon. The money, including the value of the eCoupon was refunded within 48 hours according to my Amex statement.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by SweFlyer
Not the fully the same scenario but I cancelled a Latitude ticket outside of the 24 hour window a few months ago where the payment included an eCoupon. The money, including the value of the eCoupon was refunded within 48 hours according to my Amex statement.
Did you check that the eCoupon available to use again right away?
Old Dec 1, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Did you check that the eCoupon available to use again right away?
The value of the eCoupon was included in the 3000$ refund I got. 2700$ was charged on my Amex and 300$ for my eCoupon. Was surprised to see that as I was expecting them to re-issue me an eCoupon rather than refunding the 300$ to my credit card.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
If I still had a bunch, I'd happily do a test run of this to see how it worked out.
Just did this...

Used 2 X eCoupon to buy a one-way Comfort fare and also 2 X eCoupon to buy another Comfort fare... both for flights about 10 and 12 days out.

Cancelled both...

Cancelled one within 24 hours:
The system said that I will receive a refund to the original form of payment (eCoupon i guess) and that it will take a minimum of three weeks to be processed.

Cancelled the other one > 24 hours after booking:
I was given 4 options:
1) Refund in Aeroplan Miles (with bonus)
2) Refund to original form of payment (maybe only an option as it was Comfort, and this refundable)
3) Refund to an Air Canada Travel Voucher.
4) Keep the booking and keep the full value as a form of credit on this booking.

I chose # 3 and opted for an Air Canada Travel Voucher- Once chosen, it indicated it will take up to 6 weeks to issue this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Plumber
3) Refund to an Air Canada Travel Voucher.
4) Keep the booking and keep the full value as a form of credit on this booking.
Given all the changes to expiry dates in the last few months, what is currently the functional difference between these two? Does the PNR expire and the voucher doesn't?
Plumber likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Given all the changes to expiry dates in the last few months, what is currently the functional difference between these two? Does the PNR expire and the voucher doesn't?
Yes, PNRs expire. And when you rebook, it doesn't count as a new booking for promotions, etc.
Plumber and Adam Smith like this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 2:34 pm

Of course, the travel voucher will arrive who knows when, but the travel credit on the PNR can be used again right away. So if one has flights to book and take very soon, leaving it as a travel credit may be preferable to waiting months for a voucher.
Plumber and YOWgary like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 1, 2020 at 8:53 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
talked with a AC rep last night about travel vouchers and they said there currently over 8 weeks behind for processing of them so takes a while
Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
I had two e-coupons with an expiry date, Now I have one coupon with no expirty date and lost less than 5% of the value. Actually I paid nothing so lost nothing.

Thank you Flyertalk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.