Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC rules out 'colossal failure' of government stake for aid; bailout debate thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC rules out 'colossal failure' of government stake for aid; bailout debate thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2021, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by yulred
Guess the only question is: would it have been cheaper to refund that $1.2B from their own pocket? Or did it make sense to use government funds and pay interest on it.
I would assume that they were banking on not having to pay out refunds at all unless pushed to, and only did so when it wasnt possible to hold out any longer, and other bailout money was dependant on it.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:16 pm

Guess the only question is: would it have been cheaper to refund that $1.2B from their own pocket? Or did it make sense to use government funds and pay interest on it.
The taxpayer backed interest rate was cheaper than the institutional rate.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Maybe (although as tracon pointed out, if the company had needed to borrow at that point of time they likely would have paid significantly higher rates) based on giving up equity, but at the time the length of time for recovery was uncertain and this served as a valuable backstop.

WS made it work going the other route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.