Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Red zone" flight: Offer to rebook for free if flight is full

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2020, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold

I was told once by an AC phone agent that if a flight has more than 60% capacity, AC could kindly rebook you to another flight free of charge because of COVID. Does anyone have similar experiences? I thought it was only a thing back in the inception of the COVID crisis, but seems like it's still running now.

Last edited by tobiashenry; Oct 27, 2020 at 8:50 pm
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC SE
I'm not sure of the exact threshold, but I'd be surprised if it was as low as 60%. My understanding is that AC does send customers an e-mail around T-24 hours if the flight is expected to be above a certain threshold. I received one email for a flight that was 100% full at boarding, and another that went out about 95% full after the e-mail offer to change flights. So I think the current policy is that you're only eligible to change if you receive the "your flight is fairly full" e-mail the day before your flight.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

I was told by the agent that it's like 60%, 70% -80% or sth. I can't remember the %. She told me if I don't receive an email, I can always call and ask. The thing is that I prefer to travel a day earlier! I will report later if it's possible to change my flight!

Last edited by tobiashenry; Oct 27, 2020 at 10:58 pm
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
I was told by the agent that it's like 60%, 70% -80% or sth. I can't remember the %. She told me if I don't receive an email, I can always call and ask. The thing is that I prefer to travel a day earlier! I will report later if it's possible to change my flight!
I have been told 70% by multiple agents.
reggiekush and tobiashenry like this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I did receive an e-mail as recently as October 22nd, for travel on the 23rd, but it's unclear to me exactly what triggers the e-mail. I've been on close to 70 flights since they initiated this policy, and I think I've only ever received it once for a mainline flight. On many of those, loads were light, but a few days ago, I was on a mainline flight that was 90% full and no e-mail was received.

I have more consistently received these e-mails on Jazz-operated flights, but even then, I think I've been on a couple that were fairly full and yet no e-mail.

They've also done a couple of last-minute downgauges (~24 hours out, 788 -> 321, 320 ->319, DH4 -> DH3) that resulted in much fuller flights and did not result in an e-mail.

If you're really interested in trying to change your flight, the advice to call in is probably best.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:48 pm

Adam, perhaps the e-mails with "your flight is fairly full" may only go out to pax traveling in Y, so if you're usually in J on mainline, you wouldn't the e-mails? I guess the logic is that the seat spacing in J already allows for better distancing vs. a packed row of Y seats.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gcashin
Adam, perhaps the e-mails with "your flight is fairly full" may only go out to pax traveling in Y, so if you're usually in J on mainline, you wouldn't the e-mails? I guess the logic is that the seat spacing in J already allows for better distancing vs. a packed row of Y seats.
An interesting theory, but I did receive at least one notification for a mainline flight where I was confirmed in J, so I'm not sure that's the explanation.
gcashin likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
An interesting theory, but I did receive at least one notification for a mainline flight where I was confirmed in J, so I'm not sure that's the explanation.
I'll revert to my original theory of AC just being consistently inconsistent then ;-)
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Just asking if such email to offer to rebook on other AC flights also applies with flights redeemed by Star Alliance Award by non-AC.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:05 pm

Just asking if such email to offer to rebook on other AC flights also applies with flights redeemed by Star Alliance Award by non-AC.
The policy, as posted to the AC website, does not distinguish between tickets booked directly with AC vs other channels. The description is quite brief (see this page, under FAQ), but nothing to indicate that you wouldn't be eligible.

The first thing to do would be to make sure AC has your e-mail - use your booking reference on the AC website to check the contact info on the booking and make sure that it has transferred over from the carrier you booked with; they definitely can't send you an e-mail if they don't have your address
tobiashenry likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
did the agent refer to this as red zone?
reminds me of EYW trips with AC Red Alerts during lightning

/there is no parking in the red zone
//the white zone is for immediate loading and unloading only

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 17, 2020 at 11:03 pm
Old Dec 18, 2020, 1:32 am
Original Poster

In fact the agent told me back in November that there are three classification: green, yellow and red.

In order to qualify as red, it must be reaching 70% of the capacity.

I will have one flight with a layover in YVR - let's see what will happen in couple of days.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Just called AC and they said the flight is full but as the flight is on award booking they can’t do it.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:06 pm

Just called AC and they said the flight is full but as the flight is on award booking they can’t do it.
Because it's an award booking, or because it's an award booking from another airline's program?

I got the e-mail offering to change several times this summer on Aeroplan tickets.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Because it's an award booking, or because it's an award booking from another airline's program?

I got the e-mail offering to change several times this summer on Aeroplan tickets.
They told me to call Aeroplan - but it was redeemed by Turkish Airlines and they cant do anything.

Of course, I called Turkish, they are unable to help and ask me to call AC and write a feedback form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.