FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Red zone" flight: Offer to rebook for free if flight is full
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:26 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I did receive an e-mail as recently as October 22nd, for travel on the 23rd, but it's unclear to me exactly what triggers the e-mail. I've been on close to 70 flights since they initiated this policy, and I think I've only ever received it once for a mainline flight. On many of those, loads were light, but a few days ago, I was on a mainline flight that was 90% full and no e-mail was received.

I have more consistently received these e-mails on Jazz-operated flights, but even then, I think I've been on a couple that were fairly full and yet no e-mail.

They've also done a couple of last-minute downgauges (~24 hours out, 788 -> 321, 320 ->319, DH4 -> DH3) that resulted in much fuller flights and did not result in an e-mail.

If you're really interested in trying to change your flight, the advice to call in is probably best.