Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC launches flights to Doha (DOH); codeshare with Qatar Airways (QR)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC launches flights to Doha (DOH); codeshare with Qatar Airways (QR)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Anyone have experience how QR codeshare flight operated by AC in R class is mapped to AC? P I guess?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Just flew YYZ-DOH and then back 3 weeks later as part of the ORD-CPT FT deal on AC/QR

Both flights left with empty J seats. On the return there were only 12/29 booked in J (although they filled it up with 10 staff), about the same situation on the outbound.
PY was half empty both ways, and even Y had most middles empty.

I dont know how AC makes this route work, given the far superior standard of the competition, and the fact they have to put up the crew for 3 nights in DOH.
The crew both ways was very senior, one FA said this is a very desirable route for them due to the nice long warm poolside layover.
Add to it parking costs at DOH for 17 hours.

The transfer situation in DOH from AC to QR is unnecessarily long and frustrating, as all pax are herded to a QR reissuing counter to get their QR boarding passes for onward flights (even if you already have an AC issued one), and the process takes a while for some reason. However it allows an easy switch of frequent flyer numbers from Star to OneWorld by the agent.

On the way back connecting from QR to AC (talk about a downgrade!), it was easier to just enter ff# using AC OLCI than finding a competent agent to do it as noone handling the flight has a clue how to use the AC system apparently.

The Oryx lounge used for AC is not *that* bad, but knowing what the lounge around the corner from the bear for QR J customers is frustrating.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Just flew YYZ-DOH and then back 3 weeks later as part of the ORD-CPT FT deal on AC/QR

Both flights left with empty J seats. On the return there were only 12/29 booked in J (although they filled it up with 10 staff), about the same situation on the outbound.
PY was half empty both ways, and even Y had most middles empty.

I dont know how AC makes this route work, given the far superior standard of the competition, and the fact they have to put up the crew for 3 nights in DOH.
The crew both ways was very senior, one FA said this is a very desirable route for them due to the nice long warm poolside layover.
Add to it parking costs at DOH for 17 hours.

The transfer situation in DOH from AC to QR is unnecessarily long and frustrating, as all pax are herded to a QR reissuing counter to get their QR boarding passes for onward flights (even if you already have an AC issued one), and the process takes a while for some reason. However it allows an easy switch of frequent flyer numbers from Star to OneWorld by the agent.

On the way back connecting from QR to AC (talk about a downgrade!), it was easier to just enter ff# using AC OLCI than finding a competent agent to do it as noone handling the flight has a clue how to use the AC system apparently.

The Oryx lounge used for AC is not *that* bad, but knowing what the lounge around the corner from the bear for QR J customers is frustrating.
They must have known you were coming . This flight is always packed to the rafters. Always. The Oryx lounge is decent - usually very crowded. QR buys a substantial block of seats in J & Y on this flight.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
. This flight is always packed to the rafters. Always. .
10/30 and 11/1 coming up. Rafters indeed (and yes I understand most of Y is unassigned at this point with basic/standard fares,but the empties in the front cabins are more telling anyway)
Obviously I imagined the empty cabin this week, and the app lied saying 12/29 booked in J.

I do understand how AC filled this flight in 2021, where there were less options and capacity on the competition.

Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
So because the flight is under-performing (empty) it is about to be up gauged to a 777-300.

You of all people should know that empty seats don't equate to load factors, and particularly on this flight where QR controls a large capacity of the seats, advance seat charts are even more inaccurate up until the time that the flight is under AC airport control.

QR purchases a sizeable number of J and Y seats but none in PY.

So you had a lighter than usual flight? Bonus. More Chips and more Kit Kats for you. Cheers!
CPYVR, ChrisA330, D582 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Oct 27, 2022 at 2:33 pm
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Does the QR purchase of seats affect the way that they might process upgrades/allocate R space?

I'm booked on this in 10 days or so, and the flight has been J9C9D9Z9P9R0 for months, with only 5 seats taken in business (I know, not reliable, but still). I'm on a cash latitude fare, SE, so I would have guessed it would have cleared by now.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ywgckp
Does the QR purchase of seats affect the way that they might process upgrades/allocate R space?
10 seats are reserved for QR to sell until the flight closes.

I'm on a cash latitude fare, SE, so I would have guessed it would have cleared by now.
I'm not even going to quote the bit about the seat map because it's irrelevant. No idea why you think an upgrade should clear. SE and Latitude or not, if they think they can sell the J seats, they're not going to clear upgrades. You also don't know how many people may be ahead of you on the waitlist and how many upgrades they may already have cleared.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

I'm not even going to quote the bit about the seat map because it's irrelevant. No idea why you think an upgrade should clear. SE and Latitude or not, if they think they can sell the J seats, they're not going to clear upgrades. You also don't know how many people may be ahead of you on the waitlist and how many upgrades they may already have cleared.
Thanks for the info re: the 10 seats for QR.

I am just basing my question on having flown latitude flight passes for years - and I think this is the first situation I've seen where the flight has been J9C9D9Z9P9 and the upgrade hasn't cleared in advance. So I found it a bit surprising, and wondered if the QR relationship had something to do with how AC releases R space.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Just noticed that the DOH-YYZ has been retimed to a 1:35am departure, arriving into YYZ at 9am.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think the upgauge to the 77W has increased QR’s allocation to 14 J seats.
D582 likes this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Nov 2, 2022 at 7:39 pm
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:06 pm

QR / AC flight

I bought a business class ticket YYZ-DOH-BKK on QR5508. I understand it will be on AC metal, so do I check in at AC or QR at Pearson?

Do I get to use the AC Signature lounge too?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by spideysense
I bought a business class ticket YYZ-DOH-BKK on QR5508. I understand it will be on AC metal, so do I check in at AC or QR at Pearson?
You always check in with the carrier operating the first segment on your day of travel, regardless of who sold you the ticket. So you check in with AC at YYZ. If this is a round trip, you check in with QR at BKK for the return.

Please consult the lounge access thread.
spideysense likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by spideysense

always check in with the operating carrier. i.e. AC also qr does not serve toronto

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 22, 2022 at 3:56 pm Reason: Remove off topic content
Old Nov 23, 2022, 9:38 am

Quite a change from a few years back when there was a dogfight between North American carriers and the UAE3. In preparation for increased cooperation, looks like capacity/frequency restrictions have been liberated. & or lifted.

DXB going daily on the big bird, and potentially more DOH as well.

QR briefly popped into YYZ amidst much fanfare but don't know where that stands.

DOH-YYZ (AC59) has also switched to a midnight operation from the hellishly long day flight. Now 0135/0800

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Nov 23, 2022 at 9:46 am
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
do you get priority security, customs etc.. if flying AC J?

trying to see if i can get from Al Bayt stadium to DOH in time to catch the sunday 135am flight when it is a 10pm kick off?

thank you
Old Nov 29, 2022, 4:15 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
do you get priority security, customs etc.. if flying AC J?

trying to see if i can get from Al Bayt stadium to DOH in time to catch the sunday 135am flight when it is a 10pm kick off?

thank you
Even if you have no luggage to check it might be cutting it too close. It takes a good 15-20 mins to get to the taxi/uber stands at the stadiums & same thing with the metro, although everything is super well organized. If you leave at half time you might have a shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.