Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

'Sneak peek' at the new Aeroplan, July 28

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Sneak peek' at the new Aeroplan, July 28

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Quite so. Not even sure if it's kosher to comment on specifically when the embargo lifts, apart from saying it's a coupla weeks away. I'd not be surprised for details to leak out in the meantime, albeit not from those who've signed an NDA but from others who pick up things here and there. No doubt there'll be some fervid speculation, with the rumour mill generating some hits and some misses, so I'd humbly suggest trying to avoid hitting the panic button every time something floats by and waiting instead for the bigger picture, the whole picture.

[What happens if you break an NDA? Well, there's the possibility of actual penalties, but also one would be declared [i]persona non grata – I've seen journos break an NDA and they were not only were removed from all future briefings but they could kiss goodbye to invites for launches, press trips, even access to execs for interviews – it can be as harsh and crippling as a company or their PR agency wishes. And it's a small industry, people move around and word gets around, so that 'taint' can end up extending to other vendors in the same field, owing to the same reasons of breach of trust.]
Amusingly, I was trying to get into the event. I was unsuccessful. As such, I'm not bound by any legal documents. Though I know things that I'm not sure even you do, that I'm not willing to post. I also want to make it clear I know much much less than you do. But this entire thread amuses me.

Also amusingly, I tend to find out about things before the public, putting me in a situation where I may know stuff before the embargo date, and AC easily could have given me an NDA, but chose not to.

But as you said, revealing anything would be burning bridges.

Originally Posted by djsflynn
I asked for and was told the specific embargo lift date & time before signing the NDA, but it was in an email exchange related to signing that NDA, so it's sorta in a grey region where I'd rather not breach trust.
That's totally fair.

To anyone asking about what to do with miles, no one who signed any document is going to tell you anything. Or hint at anything. And a PM to anyone isn't going to change that.

You'll just have to wait "a coupla weeks".
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

To anyone asking about what to do with miles, no one who signed any document is going to tell you anything. Or hint at anything. And a PM to anyone isn't going to change that.

You'll just have to wait "a coupla weeks".
Ok. What if your mother were going to close an Amex MR account and need to transfer the miles out to a partner. Would you let Momma transfer them to Aeroplan?

:-) Here's hoping to a long runway before the change.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
Ok. What if your mother were going to close an Amex MR account and need to transfer the miles out to a partner. Would you let Momma transfer them to Aeroplan?

:-) Here's hoping to a long runway before the change.
My mother doesn't have an Amex MR account, nor does she want one.

My father closed his a month or so ago, transferring everything to Aeroplan.

I've stated my opinions on the new program for at least a year.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:05 pm

In any case, Aeroplan will have to provide advance notice of at least 60 days for any major modifications, as per Quebec's consumer protection act
djsflynn likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
In any case, Aeroplan will have to provide advance notice of at least 60 days for any major modifications, as per Quebec's consumer protection act
You sure it's air-tight? Or maybe AC will find a loophole?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lsquare
New AC rules take effect immediately for all members NOT residing in Quebec?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
New AC rules take effect immediately for all members NOT residing in Quebec?
Would that even be legal?
Old Aug 1, 2020, 3:49 am

I won't discuss the loopholes since AC's henchmen and spies lurk in this forum
Old Aug 6, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
jordypoints in today's daily question thread for /r/churningcanada posted this regarding credit cards.
Infinite , platinum and privilege cards will add Mobile Device Insurance , and Hotel / Motel Burglary insurance. Aeroplan "points" will never expire if you're holding one of these cards.Privilege will give you 1,000 AQM or 1 segment toward altitude status for every $5,000 you spend ; $10,000 on infinite.
It looks like we may be able to accrue AQM towards Altitude status in the new Aeroplan. He also says this will be revealed on August 11 in the same post.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
jordypoints in today's daily question thread for /r/churningcanada posted this regarding credit cards.

It looks like we may be able to accrue AQM towards Altitude status in the new Aeroplan. He also says this will be revealed on August 11 in the same post.
I've heard August 11 from several places now, I'm pretty comfortable accepting it as fact that that's the date we'll get more news.

As a total outsider who is just reading into all the rumors/hints that I've gathered so far, my predictions are:
  • Embargo lifts on August 11, and that's the day we'll get the full details about the structure of the new program.
  • New program comes into effect some time in November, and will coincide with the launch of the new credit card offers from TD/CIBC/Amex with new perks as hinted by the guy on Reddit.
  • Redemptions for flights on AC metal within NA will be devalued to a market-fare model.
  • Redemptions for overseas travel, especially on partner airlines, will still have a published fixed-fare award chart, though this could be drastically different from the current chart and could be distance-based rather than zone-based.
  • The ability to have two stopovers or one stopover/one open-jaw on long-haul round-trips will be restored.
  • There will be positive changes to fuel surcharges (either reduced or eliminated).
Anyone feel free to add to the list or confirm/deny anything on my list. I know nothing is for sure until we get official news but it's fun to speculate 🙂
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
There will be positive changes to fuel surcharges (either reduced or eliminated).

Anyone feel free to add to the list or confirm/deny anything on my list. I know nothing is for sure until we get official news but it's fun to speculate 🙂
Reddit seems to speculate that YQ will remain (if not blanket increase to all partners), something about it being listed in he credit card literature.

I dont see AC giving this up as a source of revenue.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Reddit seems to speculate that YQ will remain (if not blanket increase to all partners), something about it being listed in he credit card literature.
I really hope they don't introduce YQ on all partners...that will be the worst case scenario for the new program.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. Maybe they'll consider it for their super elites.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold

clearly AC will not give up YQ revenue.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I agree. Maybe they'll consider it for their super elites.
I would hope so - why would they want to upset SEs in these times by taking away no YQ on AC flights for them?

*of course those flights will now also all be dynamic pricing for AC metal....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.