Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do married segments apply to Aeroplan awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador

Hi,

I recently booked CMB-SIN (SQ J), SIN-AUH (EY F), AUH-JFK (EY F), in retrospect I would like to have booked CMB-AUH (EY J) AUH-JFK (EY F). Aeroplan is stating that the SIN-AUH, AUH-JFK are now married and I can not cancel AUH-SIN without AUH-JFK cancelling (which I do not want to do as do not want to lose AUH-JFK in F). Does anyone know if agent is mistaken or its not possible to cancel just one segment.

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: *$ Green
Yeah it's possible.

What the agent could try to do is to cancel with segments without saving the PNR (this is important), and then rebook the F segment by itself by direct booking it.

Because the segment is cancelled but not saved, the PNR is kind of still holding the F inventory because it's not confirmed cancel yet (so an agent can attempt a change and reprice without losing inventory etc.), so direct booking it back (usually) works.

You'd then be able to tack on the extra segment.

But it's really important that you tell the agent to cancel the segment but do not save the PNR. If the agent cancels and the OAL doesn't return the inventory back, you're SOL.

Have fun.

​​​​​
NB_Falcon and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, WJ Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Ambassador
Thanks will give this a try, hopefully get a helpful agent.

Edit: Apparently not possible with the new system, agent said was possible under previous system.

Last edited by NB_Falcon; Jul 11, 2020 at 2:40 pm
Old May 22, 2023, 5:28 am

I just got hit with the same thing. I had an Aeroplan award booked USA-Istanbul-Dubai (all Turkish metal, one-way), and wanted to make what I thought was a very simple change to USA-Istanbul-Pakistan (keeping the same first segment).

But apparently things are married and I need space to fully exist instead of just swapping out the last segment like ...fffff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.