Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm pleasantly surprised to see the miles from my ticket refund in my Aeroplan account today. Took approximately 1 week, which seems quicker than most, as crazy as that sounds.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
I cancelled my reward booking on Friday. Aeroplan promised that AC will send a separate email with taxes/fees refund confirmation - never received that. However, something strange is happening on my TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa that was used to pay the reward taxes/fees. Since Monday, my Visa balance has lowered by the amount of the taxes/fees, however there has yet to be a refund posted as a transaction to the account. There is no negative pending transaction either as I've seen before having a refund or cancellation of an authorization. It's very strange, and I thought the transaction would show by now since the balance has been affected for the past few days.
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I learned something new today.

With how many (refundable) bookings I've cancelled, I basically snooze the cancellation email week after week until a refund shows up on my credit card, then I archive the email.

I had a lot of these emails, so I decided to drill into an Aeroplan booking I cancelled in July. I pulled the ticket on Saudia and the coupon statuses were all "void" (instead of "refunded"). I called Aeroplan, and the agent said this happens when you cancel before they process the charge, so usually if it's within the same day. No charge, so no refund.

In hindsight, I've definitely experienced this before, I've just never been tracking so many refunds for it to be an issue.

I found some similar voided revenue tickets that I was never charged for.

So if you're waiting for a refund, make sure you're actually waiting for a refund.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Maybe my experience is buried in this thread and I missed it, but I had a surprisingly positive experience today.
Last October I cancelled the return leg of a flown outbound itinerary and got a $450 credit to use by October 5 this year. With no flying for me in the immediate future I thought it would be lost. I called in on the off-chance. After 40 minutes chasing down the ticket (the PNR had changed as expected with the Amadeus switch, but so had the ticket number for some reason) I was offered a future credit, or the voucher option which I took as its more flexible.
This was way pre-COVID which is why I hadn't been expecting it.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:12 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Well, almost 11 weeks after I submitted my request, I got the first one of my travel vouchers.

One down, two to go.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Well, almost 11 weeks after I submitted my request, I got the first one of my travel vouchers.

One down, two to go.
Received mine earlier this week. When I go to use it, this error is received:
It appears that the value of your Air Canada Gift Card/Travel Voucher/eCoupon is depleted. Please choose another form of payment or contact Air Canada Reservations Opens in a new window<\/span><\/a> for assistance

Clicked on the link - I'm directed to the AC customer support page
  •  
    • Flight Info and Reservations

1-888-247-2262

Toll free 24hrs/7days within Canada and the U.S.
    • Missing or Damaged Baggage

1 888 689-BAGS (2247)

If it is more than 5 days ago please click here
    • Customer Relations

Send us an email
    • Do you have a travel related concern or compliment you would like to submit?

Ummm, ok I guess I'll call Flight Info and Reservations:
- Hi, I'm receiving such and such error
- Agent: Wow this is so unusual, did anyone enter or access your email and use those funds?
- No...
- Agent: Please reach out to customer solutions
- Ok, what is there number?
- Agent: Um, I don't know, did you check your email for a number or can you reply to the email with the voucher?
- No, it says DO NOT REPLY
- Agent: Let me ask the help desk
**** 5 minutes pass****
- Agent: Hello sir, please reach out to customer solutions, this is so weird, we can't do anything on our end

I thanked them and disconnected. Air Canada is an abonimation of a business.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:56 pm

Follow-up to my prior post - Received emails Sunday - 5 business days have passed, still not functional. No idea why
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by guessaaa
I cancelled my reward booking on Friday. Aeroplan promised that AC will send a separate email with taxes/fees refund confirmation - never received that. However, something strange is happening on my TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa that was used to pay the reward taxes/fees. Since Monday, my Visa balance has lowered by the amount of the taxes/fees, however there has yet to be a refund posted as a transaction to the account. There is no negative pending transaction either as I've seen before having a refund or cancellation of an authorization. It's very strange, and I thought the transaction would show by now since the balance has been affected for the past few days.
look back at the date of the original purchase the credits backdate to purchase date, the credit will likely show back there.
guessaaa likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

One down, two to go.
mine have started trickling in as well the last few days. I have 3 of 10.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
look back at the date of the original purchase the credits backdate to purchase date, the credit will likely show back there.
You're right. It only shows in online banking and does not show on the TD mobile app which is what I was looking at. Online it shows transaction date July 1, posted August 31.
yyzgigi likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 4:13 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by PHXFFLYER
Follow-up to my prior post - Received emails Sunday - 5 business days have passed, still not functional. No idea why
Nice. Now that is adding insult to injury.

Or is that adding incompetence to insult to injury? I can't keep track.
Adam Smith and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by PHXFFLYER
Received mine earlier this week. When I go to use it, this error is received:
It appears that the value of your Air Canada Gift Card/Travel Voucher/eCoupon is depleted. Please choose another form of payment or contact Air Canada Reservations Opens in a new window<\/span><\/a> for assistance

Clicked on the link - I'm directed to the AC customer support page
  •  
    • Flight Info and Reservations

1-888-247-2262

• Missing or Damaged Baggage

1 888 689-BAGS (2247)

If it is more than 5 days ago please click here
    • Customer Relations

Send us an email
    • Do you have a travel related concern or compliment you would like to submit?

Ummm, ok I guess I'll call Flight Info and Reservations:
- Hi, I'm receiving such and such error
- Agent: Wow this is so unusual, did anyone enter or access your email and use those funds?
- No...
- Agent: Please reach out to customer solutions
- Ok, what is there number?
- Agent: Um, I don't know, did you check your email for a number or can you reply to the email with the voucher?
- No, it says DO NOT REPLY
- Agent: Let me ask the help desk
**** 5 minutes pass****
- Agent: Hello sir, please reach out to customer solutions, this is so weird, we can't do anything on our end

I thanked them and disconnected. Air Canada is an abonimation of a business.
there was a pull down box for GIFT CARD inquiries. I emailed them and they got back to me in under an hour stating that the cards needed 72 hours to be activated once you receive them. Posted this somewhere up thread. Was impressed by the response time.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So why not just wait 72 hours before emailing it to you?
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
So why not just wait 72 hours before emailing it to you?
no sh*t. But asking me this is pointless.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC 75k
So fed up of AC BS. Today had 3 flights changed "due to Government travel advisory". Each case was cancelling the morning flight out and bumping to the PM which then cancelled YYZ connection with new schedules not desirable. Missed that new advisory that Airlines flying more than once YXS-YVR in a mid week day or maybe flying before noon increased the risk of Covid transmission. I can get that flights might be cancelled when under filled, but stop lying through your teeth that a Government agency told you to do it.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.