Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 10:45 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Quebec government will be pushing for refunds from AC (and others) in the Fall using the province's consumer protection laws (which have been given some teeth by the courts here). Only found this article in french

https://www.lapresse.ca/voyage/2020-...e-solution.php
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Quebec government will be pushing for refunds from AC (and others) in the Fall using the province's consumer protection laws (which have been given some teeth by the courts here). Only found this article in french

https://www.lapresse.ca/voyage/2020-...e-solution.php
Report about the same news in English:
https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...quebec-pledges
Admiral Ackbar and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by dr_torch
Well I have both, but this one was cancelled and I chose a gift card (via the manual form).

My other one is a conversion. That one is 8 weeks now. That did not require the manual form.
submitted 2020/7/7 for a cancelled-in-May flight
still waiting here (and cannot use voucher for the 25% off sale, DUH)
Old Aug 19, 2020, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 11:19 am
Old Aug 20, 2020, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I purchased an AC ticket from the USA to Japan using my Citi Thank You points. The flight has now been cancelled and I obviously want a refund. AC says "voucher only." This is obviously in direct violation of US DOT regulations which state: "Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged." AC now seems to have a "dead letter" policy regarding handling these matters. There's no one you can actually talk to about. They say you can send them an email, and they'll get back to you sometime.

I'm trying to lean on Citi's travel agency to refund me the money. Is it reasonable to assume that they are ALSO in violation of the law by refusing to refund me the ticket price? I assume the law does not allow them to say "well, we're just following the airline's guidelines." Does anyone have a strategy how to proceed here? I mean, I can file a DOT complaint. It doesn't seem like this has helped anyone yet, though. Maybe a small claims case would help, with AC and Citi as defendants? What a needless PITA, though.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
So how long does it take to receive the Aeroplan miles when choosing to convert an Air Canada ticket to Aeroplan miles?

I was hoping it would be instant so I can book a ticket immediately, but the website says it may take up to four weeks, which is unacceptable! Anyone have any DPs on how long it took to receive the miles?
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by zeer0
So how long does it take to receive the Aeroplan miles when choosing to convert an Air Canada ticket to Aeroplan miles?

I was hoping it would be instant so I can book a ticket immediately, but the website says it may take up to four weeks, which is unacceptable! Anyone have any DPs on how long it took to receive the miles?
If you take a look around on this thread you will see that people have been waiting over 10 weeks now. Getting an update also seems to be impossible.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC SE

If you check post #889 upthread, there's one data point with a 5 week turnaround for Aeroplan points. So it seems like these are marginally faster than the 6-10+ weeks that many people have been waiting for gift cards. But it's nowhere close to instant.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
So I purchased an AC ticket from the USA to Japan using my Citi Thank You points. The flight has now been cancelled and I obviously want a refund. AC says "voucher only." This is obviously in direct violation of US DOT regulations which state: "Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged." AC now seems to have a "dead letter" policy regarding handling these matters. There's no one you can actually talk to about. They say you can send them an email, and they'll get back to you sometime.

I'm trying to lean on Citi's travel agency to refund me the money. Is it reasonable to assume that they are ALSO in violation of the law by refusing to refund me the ticket price? I assume the law does not allow them to say "well, we're just following the airline's guidelines." Does anyone have a strategy how to proceed here? I mean, I can file a DOT complaint. It doesn't seem like this has helped anyone yet, though. Maybe a small claims case would help, with AC and Citi as defendants? What a needless PITA, though.
  1. call Citi cards (more than once if necessary) and try to reach a competent agent in the disputes department.
  2. Ask to dispute the purchase transaction under the reason code services not received (code 13.1 for Visa, 4853 for Mastercard)
  3. Make sure to provide the DOT policy to support your dispute and emphasize that it supersedes Air Canada's policies
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

lol if you think four weeks is unacceptable, try four months.
If you indeed get these points in 4 weeks, you ll be the first.
tshirt likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
  1. call Citi cards (more than once if necessary) and try to reach a competent agent in the disputes department.
  2. Ask to dispute the purchase transaction under the reason code services not received (code 13.1 for Visa, 4853 for Mastercard)
  3. Make sure to provide the DOT policy to support your dispute and emphasize that it supersedes Air Canada's policies
No need to mention DoT. VISA/MC’s own chargeback rules already provide a refund for services not received and cancelled by merchant.

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/global...q-covid-19.pdf

https://www.mastercard.com/content/d...05.01.2020.pdf
Old Aug 20, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
lol if you think four weeks is unacceptable, try four months.
If you indeed get these points in 4 weeks, you ll be the first.
Ughhh I guess Lifemiles it is then. SO annoying because US-Europe will be going up with Aeroplan by the next time I need to book it. The 65% bonus looked to be a nice incentive but it really isn't.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
But is there a way to do this if I used Thank You points and not cash? I have no credit card charge.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:50 pm

So finally received the AC gift cards from two canceled flights that were booked with credit back in June.

Value stated correctly in the email but when trying to use both gift cards I get an error message stating that "this card is depleted." So they are worthless.

Either they weren't loaded correctly, or something behind the scenes messed up due to being originally booked on credits.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by bakersdozen
So finally received the AC gift cards from two canceled flights that were booked with credit back in June.

Value stated correctly in the email but when trying to use both gift cards I get an error message stating that "this card is depleted." So they are worthless.

Either they weren't loaded correctly, or something behind the scenes messed up due to being originally booked on credits.
Great. It must be a very complicated technical challenge to issue a gift card. I'm just amazed I can walk into a mall and walk out with a gift card, on the same day. And when I go and use it at a point of sale, it just works like magic.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.