znke252
King Chung Huang
kraftdinner_
gcashin
recreationaltimetraveller
Nitehawk

Tentative Schedule of Events

Friday, July 31
1900 NDT to 2300 NDT - Drinks/appetizers at a local pub or brewery (for those of you who can't make it for Friday evening, the main Do is Saturday! This is just a primer, as we say here on the rock!)
2300 NDT to 0300 NDT - George Street Festival (for those interested in a later night)

Saturday, August 1
POTENTIAL activities for the day:
- Whale watching with O'Brien's Boat Tours
- Bus tour with stops at all the local breweries
- Hike on North Head Trail on Signal Hill
- Etc.

1900 NDT to 2300 NDT - Dinner/drinks at a local restaurant (The Fish Exchange would be a good option)
2300 NDT to 0300 NDT - George Street Festival (again, for those interested in a later night)

Air Canada Promo Code for travel to YYT from any destination served by AC:
Your promotion code: FXDVBHJ1

The travel period begins Friday, July 24, 2020 and ends Saturday, August 08, 2020.

As the official airline of this AC DO, by using the above-noted promo code the following discounts should apply: 5% discounts will apply to standard fares, 10% flex fares & up for North America travel. 10% discounts apply on standard fares & up for International travel. 12% discounts apply to Business class fares (exception 5% on Business Class lowest for North America)

Popular Frequent Flyer Hotels
Delta by Marriott St. John's - closest major hotel to George street, partially renovated in the past year, many rooms have harbour views, club lounge
Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland - close to Signal Hill, but a bit further from George Street; panoramic views (best for views) and has a club lounge, but the hotel is very dated and long overdue for a renovation, and elevators are slow/unreliable
Courtyard by Marriott Downtown - good location near the Sheraton, good views, but typical Courtyard spec/amenities
Alt Hotel - new hotel, central downtown location, affiliated with Le Germain Group
Hilton Garden Inn - newer hotel, located near the Delta
Several local boutique options including the Jag, Blue, or Murray Premises for those wanting something with more local character

Print Wikipost

YYT DO - July 31 to August 1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Bummer, no AE availability
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Bummer, no AE availability
Yeah we ate it all up during the do last night
marke190 and codfather like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah we ate it all up during the do last night
Come on man! You gotta give those of us without IKK a heads up
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Will there be icebergs?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
Will there be icebergs?
You aren't the only one to ask this question! traacs mentioned it in the Do last night also. Unfortunately the iceberg season is usually over by early July at the latest.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I have to decline as I plan on being in Europe that weekend.

codfather , a couple of suggestions for you:
1. I have created an "event" with Air Canada for anybody traveling to St. John's (from any destination) arriving from July 24th and departing by August 8th. "5% discounts will apply to standard fares, 10% flex fares & up for North America travel. 10% discounts apply on standard fares & up for International travel. 12% discounts apply to Business class fares ( exception 5% on Business Class lowest for North America)". AC is now the "official airline of this Flyertalk DO. The discount code will be added to the wiki.
2. Poll people on which hotel chains the prefer and then agree on one hotel and get a group rate. I should think hotels will be hungry for business

Have fun everyone
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: status-free
Hmm, the following Wednesday is Regatta Day (North America's only weather-dependent statutory holiday!), so anybody wanting a longer NL experience would be coming on a good week.
gcashin likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by The Lev
I have to decline as I plan on being in Europe that weekend.

codfather , a couple of suggestions for you:
1. I have created an "event" with Air Canada for anybody traveling to St. John's (from any destination) arriving from July 24th and departing by August 8th. "5% discounts will apply to standard fares, 10% flex fares & up for North America travel. 10% discounts apply on standard fares & up for International travel. 12% discounts apply to Business class fares ( exception 5% on Business Class lowest for North America)". AC is now the "official airline of this Flyertalk DO. The discount code will be added to the wiki.
2. Poll people on which hotel chains the prefer and then agree on one hotel and get a group rate. I should think hotels will be hungry for business

Have fun everyone
The Lev this is amazing! Thank you so much.

I will post a poll with hotel locations later tonight!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by codfather
You aren't the only one to ask this question! traacs mentioned it in the Do last night also. Unfortunately the iceberg season is usually over by early July at the latest.
On the plus side, probably the best time for seeing whales after they’ve just spent weeks filling their bellies they love to play for you. Took my kids on the boat tour last year at start of August and it was the best I had ever seen.
canadiancow and gcashin like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:58 pm

I can't believe how expensive fares are.

SFO-YYT r/t in Comfort priced out at $1600 CAD. J was stupid more.

As much as I appreciate free coupon codes, I'm sticking with Aeroplan for this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC SE
I've added some options/comments on hotels in the wiki as a starting point. I've stayed at all 3 of the downtown Marriott brand options many times, and I'd give the Delta a slight edge over the Sheraton out of the Marriott branded options, as the Sheraton has a great view, but has gone downhill and is in dire need of a major renovation. But there's also plenty of newer options like the Alt, but I haven't personally stayed there.

Feel free to edit the comments, as it’s my thoughts on the options and can be subjective.

Last edited by gcashin; Mar 30, 2020 at 10:16 pm
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:39 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The Delta has been recently renovated? I stayed there in July 2018 and June 2019 and both times found the rooms old and tired. Especially the one we had in 2019. Perhaps it has been renovated since my last stay?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:41 pm

Delta isn't showing any availability for Fri/Sat with any of the corporate codes for the herd. But the regular rate is reasonable. And I guess with forex, it's decent.

But the Hilton with my corp rate is 40% cheaper.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The Delta has been recently renovated? I stayed there in July 2018 and June 2019 and both times found the rooms old and tired. Especially the one we had in 2019. Perhaps it has been renovated since my last stay?
Yeah, not a full reno, but was partially renovated around 2019. They renovated the lobby and common areas and then some parts of the rooms and replaced furniture. But not a full Reno. I originally wrote partial renovation but removed it for simplicity, but for accuracy, it was a partial job. But still in better shape than the Sheraton which is long overdue for any type of Reno.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gcashin
Yeah, not a full reno, but was partially renovated around 2019. They renovated the lobby and common areas and then some parts of the rooms and replaced furniture. But not a full Reno. I originally wrote partial renovation but removed it for simplicity, but for accuracy, it was a partial job. But still in better shape than the Sheraton which is long overdue for any type of Reno.
Ah, okay. Yes, the lobby was undergoing work while we were there last year. But the rooms were what really needed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.