Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Virtual AC Do - Every Saturday until after COVID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Where: On your computing device. Anything with a Zoom client. https://zoom.us/download - You probably want "Zoom Client for Meetings" or "Zoom Mobile Apps".

When: Saturday April 13 2024 @ 1700 PDT / 2000 EDT / 2130 NDT - We will likely go quite late, typically ending after 0100 PDT.

The link will be the same every week. We don't need a list, many people will be here. Just add your name if you want the link PM'd to you around 1630 PDT before the do.

Suggestion: Please include your forum handle (and optionally your name) when logging onto Zoom.

Please send me the same link as last week:
canadiancalf
Print Wikipost

Virtual AC Do - Every Saturday until after COVID

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:04 am

ahhh FSX..... I downloaded a few mods including adding 773 w GE90 engine (AC/NZ skin), changed the CR7 to UA skin and the sound of Airbus 321 to be more like AC’s (believe it was called CFM engine mod or something).

Originally Posted by expert7700
Had to leave around 5AM to help install some new USB peripherals

Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I missed the last one, look forward to being back next week.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum
Count me in. I’m going through serious travel withdrawal.
painintheuk and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Does anyone know if it's possible to make the Zoom meeting start on its own, without the 40 minute limitation?

Not that I expect to be unavailable any Saturday in the foreseeable future, but I'd hate to fall asleep or something and have 15 people waiting for me to click a button.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Does anyone know if it's possible to make the Zoom meeting start on its own, without the 40 minute limitation?

Not that I expect to be unavailable any Saturday in the foreseeable future, but I'd hate to fall asleep or something and have 15 people waiting for me to click a button.
Maybe this page will help to setup auto start/stop Zoom meetings.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...2-f9a4410549d2
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mileageking
Maybe this page will help to setup auto start/stop Zoom meetings.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...2-f9a4410549d2
That's for Zoom Rooms. Those are like... physical office rooms with permanent video conferencing fixtures.

I've used Zoom at work for over a year, and I've played around with what I can find. "Enable join before host" is the only thing I've found that sounds reasonable, but it's not clear to me that it will inherit my subscription unless I actually join.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:11 pm

That's for Zoom Rooms. Those are like... physical office rooms with permanent video conferencing fixtures.

I've used Zoom at work for over a year, and I've played around with what I can find. "Enable join before host" is the only thing I've found that sounds reasonable, but it's not clear to me that it will inherit my subscription unless I actually join.
Got it. Not sure if following link, is also for zoom rooms, however talks about enabling few options that may be applicable.

https://devforum.zoom.us/t/how-to-cr...l-meeting/6384
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:13 pm

No idea, but can you give permissions to the other tech-savvy moderators? If they can let people in from the waiting room, hopefully they can start it too. Testing should be pretty easy between you.

Dr. PITUK
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by painintheuk
No idea, but can you give permissions to the other tech-savvy moderators? If they can let people in from the waiting room, hopefully they can start it too. Testing should be pretty easy between you.

Dr. PITUK
My experience with using Zoom where some people have pro accounts and some do not (my employer) is that when the pro account joins, "PRO USER has become the host", and the timer goes away. Likewise, when they leave, "FREE USER is now the host", and restrictions return.

They don't want me creating a meeting for my friend Steve, giving him full benefits of my pro account, but with no intention of me actually attending. But I also haven't seen any way to deal with this for personal accounts when multiple users have pro accounts. We have multiple attendees with pro accounts, but I can't seem to pool them together so that as long as one of us is around, it still works.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:48 pm
Suspended

I ideally would like to participate however I refuse to use Zoom given the security implications. I realize I'm no one here so feel free to completely ignore my tech platform comments.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
I ideally would like to participate however I refuse to use Zoom given the security implications. I realize I'm no one here so feel free to completely ignore my tech platform comments.
If it makes you feel better, the vast majority of the security issues don't apply to us.

Unless you trust every other attendee, nothing stops anyone from recording the entire thing and posting it online somewhere. And since we allow everyone to join (because we're friendly and because FT rules require it), there's always some kind of risk of a random person tuning in and listening/recording.

And because of that, whether or not it's E2E encrypted isn't really relevant, since the above is a much lower hanging fruit to attack than any kind of MITM attack on the encryption.

In a business or government setting, where the attendees are all trusted, and you may have hostile foreign governments, I might agree that Zoom has issues (though they've fixed a LOT in the past few weeks). But not here.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Is the bar set low enough for forum moderators to attend?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
In the context of security, I have much less concern about you than about half the other people who join.

But yes, everyone's welcome, even if I weren't afraid of the consequences of breaking rule 20.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tcook052
tcook052 I was hoping you'd join at some point! Looking forward to chatting with you.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: HH Silver
In the context of security, I have much less concern about you than about half the other people who join.
Thanks and I'll see if I can attend.

But yes, everyone's welcome, even if I weren't afraid of the consequences of breaking rule 20.
Until a precedent is set otherwise I believe Rule 20 applies only to in-person FT Do's and not online social hours such as this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.