Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

B.C. women say they experienced racial discrimination while flying with Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B.C. women say they experienced racial discrimination while flying with Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
They have the power to grab the boarding pass out of your hand and rip it up? That'd be assault.
Needs not actually be physically ripping it off. Just voiding it and denying boarding. They do have the authority to do that. Let' not get caught up in rhetorics.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Have you heard of privacy legislation?
Nope. You have a link to a law?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Needs not actually be physically ripping it off. Just voiding it and denying boarding. They do have the authority to do that. Let' not get caught up in rhetorics.
The scenario I was thinking of was something like this:

Pax - takes a picture of employee and asks for their name
Employee - asks to see Boarding Pass
Pax - hands over boarding pass
Employee - rips up boarding pass and says "you won't be travelling today."

Regardless of how different people may see this, at no point did the poster say/imply that the BP would be forcibly removed from the pax. To accuse the poster of condoning/advocating violence was, IMHO, unwarranted and inappropriate.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
The scenario I was thinking of was something like this:

Pax - takes a picture of employee and asks for their name
Employee - asks to see Boarding Pass
Pax - hands over boarding pass
Employee - rips up boarding pass and says "you won't be travelling today."

Regardless of how different people may see this, at no point did the poster say/imply that the BP would be forcibly removed from the pax. To accuse the poster of condoning/advocating violence was, IMHO, unwarranted and inappropriate.
So how does your scenario work with an e-boarding pass?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:36 pm

So how does your scenario work with an e-boarding pass?
Irrelevant since you can’t rip one up, which implies paper, and ripping a BP was the comment that caused accusation of condoning violence.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Irrelevant since you can’t rip one up, which implies paper, and ripping a BP was the comment that caused accusation of condoning violence.
So how do you "void" the boarding pass of someone who has a mobile one?
A lot harder, right? Which should be the case always. It shouldn't be one person's decision. That is an abuse of power, basically.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 26, 2020 at 9:05 pm Reason: Argumentative
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:27 pm

A lot harder, right? Which should be the case always. It shouldn't be one person's decision. That is an abuse of power, basically.
AFAIK a GA can easily void a BP with a few keystrokes in their computer. They don’t need to access someone’s smartphone. Abuse of power? Perhaps, depending on the circumstances, but non-violent.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
If an employee is granted the power to make that decision based on the information they have at hand, why can't they make that decision?

I don't know about the internal process behind Air Canada, but I would hope that they would have some type of thorough review process with the GA and the passenger for all of these incidents where a passenger had their BP voided because there is a high probability that they may be disruptive on the flight, and if the GA can adequately justify the decision they made with the information at hand, I honestly don't see how it is considered abuse of power.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
My mother spent a couple of years in bank teller training, and I've taken discreet math classes. Accordingly, I cross through empty spots in forms and write my t's with very big tails. And when I deal with physical paper, reports and tickets or coupons, once invalid I rip them.

GAs and others should not trust a physical or electronic boarding pass (but often do... Lounges...), but validate them against the computer record. So why voiding them by ripping them up?

First, habit, knowing or being trained by someone who grew up when "do not fold, spindle or mutilate" meant something.
But second and most important, cogitative load. Have you seen behind a typical podium when it's busy? Scrooge McDuck could swim in the piles of paper they have. An intact paper BP or app screenshot are suspicious, but a ripped one is unquestionably not worth considering.
​​​​​​
An overt and almost ceremonial destruction is clarity for all and harkens back to a different time. It's no more violent than calling someone who works for a living "Sir".
​​​​​
​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.