Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Key points of AC COVID change/cancellation policy [as of December 10, 2021]:
(see this page under "Changes and cancellations")

Unlimited changes. No change fees. – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your flight, we'll waive the change fee. After December 31, 2021, you can make one change at no extra charge. If your new fare has a higher price, you only need to pay the difference from your original fare.

If Air Canada changes the time of your flight, you make a change for free.*
*Within 3 days for North American destinations and 7 days for international and sun destinations.

If your flight is cancelled, you get a refund – If your flight is cancelled for any reason and we don’t rebook you on another flight that departs or arrives within three hours of your original departure or arrival time, or if we add a connection to your itinerary, you can request a refund.

Need to cancel? Save the value for future travel – If you need to cancel a booking, the full value can be transferred to an Air Canada Travel Voucher, which never expires and is fully transferrable, or converted into Aeroplan points with a 65% bonus. Refundable tickets are always refundable.

Flexibility with Aeroplan bookings – Until December 31, 2021, if you want to change your Aeroplan flight reward, we'll waive all change fees. After December 31, 2021, you can still make one change without a fee.
Print Wikipost

Master thread COVID-19/Coronavirus; travel waivers, route changes, AC impacts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by tracon
My understanding is you buy through the OTA, you deal with the OTA.
Not really. I've had United and Delta directly refund OTA tickets without hassles this summer for which they cancelled flights.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: AC E75K
CBC: EU removes Canadians from list of approved travellers because of COVID-19

Curious to see if this means more TATL schedule changes for AC.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Originally Posted by capedreamer

Flying YYZ - FRA in two weeks. Have a EU passport so not affected by this. Based on the seat map (not the best of indicators I know) the passenger loads are pretty non-existent already. With the quarantine requirements upon returning to Canada I have a feeling there isn't too much travel to Europe as it is. Still a bit nervous though given the large amount of changes to my domestic connecting flight as well as my connecting flight in Europe.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
I had foolishly booked AC flights to KOA a couple of weeks ago, which were promptly cancelled a week later, as at least one of you on here had predicted.

Before I make another bonehead move, I thought I'd get you all's input about PLS - Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. AC is already flying there once a week. Turns out every time I looked at their schedule on my phone, it saved a copy of that particular week's pdf. I've reproduced the evolution of the frequency from YYZ over the past few weeks. So the plan was to start flying once a week in October, which they are doing, and then daily in November. Then, the most recent one shows a marked change. Basically, they intend to fly once a week through November, and starting December, 5 days a week X Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

The YUL - PLS schedule was slashed as well, going from twice a week starting November 1 to just once a week starting December 20 and then twice a week in mid-January.

We know and love Barbados, but as of this Friday, they consider Canada a high-risk country, making a complicated covid-19 protocol even more cumbersome. Turks and Caicos also require a pre-flight test, but T-5 days, which might mean our "free" provincial testing could do the trick.

Expert Flyer shows the following availability for some of the days I am looking at:
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P7 R1 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L9 A9 K0 F0
Westjet during the same time period:
W7 O6 R3 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 N7 S7 X3 T0 K0 L0 E7

I may be foolish to look at these tea leaves but any of your sage advice and prognostications would be most welcome.
I spoke to an AC agent on the phone and he said that the recent (not this week but last week, effective Oct 22, last in the image above) was a major overhaul of the schedule and he felt that AC will stick to it. The YYZ-PLS timetable hasn't changed in the most recent update.

Could that be the actual winter schedule they will fly to the Caribbean?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Looks like the weekly YVR-PEK in November is gone as well this week. Curious if AC just could not get the approval to get it going.

Between China and Canada, there are five airlines operating six routes. Canadian airlines is only operating 2 out of 10 weekly flights from Canada to mainland China, despite skyrocketed plane tickets.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:58 am

@SweFlyer: EU passport and EU Travel Restriction

Originally Posted by SweFlyer
Flying YYZ - FRA in two weeks. Have a EU passport so not affected by this. Based on the seat map (not the best of indicators I know) the passenger loads are pretty non-existent already. With the quarantine requirements upon returning to Canada I have a feeling there isn't too much travel to Europe as it is. Still a bit nervous though given the large amount of changes to my domestic connecting flight as well as my connecting flight in Europe.
@SweFlyer:
Will having EU Passport allow you to enter EU even with COVID restriction if you live in Canada?
We are in process of obtaining EU Passports, but we are Canadian Citizens also and have trip planned for summer. If restrictions still in place, could we use EU Passports to enter any countries that may have COVID restrictions for Canadian travellers?

I thought customs would ask where you live upon entry to EU, and could deny entry?

Thanks for any information on this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ols_flyer
@SweFlyer:
Will having EU Passport allow you to enter EU even with COVID restriction if you live in Canada?
We are in process of obtaining EU Passports, but we are Canadian Citizens also and have trip planned for summer. If restrictions still in place, could we use EU Passports to enter any countries that may have COVID restrictions for Canadian travellers?

I thought customs would ask where you live upon entry to EU, and could deny entry?

Thanks for any information on this.
Yes, with my EU passport I can enter Europe at any time

*some countries will/may require on arrival quarantine
*some countries will also allow spouses/dependents of said EU citizens
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:36 am

Entry to EU

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes, with my EU passport I can enter Europe at any time

*some countries will/may require on arrival quarantine
*some countries will also allow spouses/dependents of said EU citizens
Thanks so much for this information
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by capedreamer

The irony...

Surprisingly enough, YYZ-ZRH has been upgraded to 5x weekly (still on 789) even though Canadians have to self-isolate upon entry in Switzerland.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Albertans, rejoice.

Impact on AC?

https://www.alberta.ca/international...t-project.aspx
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I guess we can go to sun destinations? I would have hoped this would mean AC bringing back YYC-LHR/FRA, but now that Canadians are on the EU blacklist again, I don't think that's terribly likely.

But presumably Mexico and some of the Caribbean will be desperate enough for our tourist dollars to let us in.

I wonder whether this will lead to AC putting on some more sun flights out of YYC, a market that it has mostly left to WS for quite a while.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AC 35k
AC has tried a number of times to restart YYC-FRA/LHR, but keeps pushing it back. I don't think that's going to happen with the EU blacklist but I can see some sun service being added back instead of routing via YVR.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I guess we can go to sun destinations? I would have hoped this would mean AC bringing back YYC-LHR/FRA, but now that Canadians are on the EU blacklist again, I don't think that's terribly likely.

But presumably Mexico and some of the Caribbean will be desperate enough for our tourist dollars to let us in.

I wonder whether this will lead to AC putting on some more sun flights out of YYC, a market that it has mostly left to WS for quite a while.
It looks like you cant continue to other provinces. So it's just Albertans.
So Westjet can call it more of a win than AC.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
It looks like you cant continue to other provinces. So it's just Albertans.
So Westjet can call it more of a win than AC.
Per the CBC, I don't think that's true "It will be available for foreign essential workers — truckers, health-care workers and other workers who are exempt from the current federal travel ban — and any Canadian citizens returning to the country through Alberta."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/alb...ilot-1.5772637

EDIT: nvm - appears that CBC Is wrong... Per Alberta Health "In-eligible candidates: returning Canadians proceeding to other provinces (participants must stay in Alberta for 14 days after entering Canada)"
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Air Canada Welcomes the Announcement of Alberta COVID-19 Testing Initiative Aimed at Easing Mandatory 14-Day Quarantine

MONTREAL, Oct. 22, 2020 /CNW/ - Air Canada is pleased that the federal government and the Province of Alberta have announced a joint initiative for a pilot project to test international and transborder travellers arriving in Alberta for COVID-19. Air Canada has been a leader and a strong advocate of the use of rapid testing to protect customers and employees. Earlier this year, Air Canada partnered with McMaster HealthLabs (MHL) and the Greater Toronto Airports Authority for a study on testing that continues to yield results that demonstrate the validity of testing as a means to ease travel restrictions and quarantine requirements.

"We know Canadians expect the rich data from these test results to lead to a loosening of the federal government's quarantine requirements immediately, which will allow families to reunite and the economy to resume. Our customer surveys clearly show that Canadians favour safe and science-based alternatives to blanket quarantines. The results from the McMaster study at Toronto-Pearson were instrumental in guiding the federal government and public health agencies to add the easing of quarantine to this latest testing initiative. I have personally heard from numerous business leaders in Canada and from other countries who are very anxious to see the quarantine requirements safely abridged as soon as possible," said Calin Rovinescu, President and Chief Executive Officer at Air Canada.

"The preliminary results from the MHL study provide evidence that testing passengers on arrival into Canada may be an effective way to screen for COVID-19. The data has provided the federal government and the government of Alberta with the confidence to move forward with this new testing initiative. In fact, today Alberta Premier Jason Kenney thanked Air Canada for helping advocate for measures to safely reduce quarantine, which is an encouraging step in the continued push for a secure resumption of air travel. Rapid testing is also a means to enable governments to relax current blanket travel restrictions and quarantines in a measured way while still safeguarding the health and safety of the public," said Dr. Jim Chung, Air Canada's Chief Medical Officer.

Since the Toronto-Pearson study began September 3, MHL has conducted over 28,000 tests of arriving travellers who volunteered to participate. As our interim report noted, more than 99% have tested negative for COVID-19 with less than 1% having indicated COVID-19. For more information on the MHL study see https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020...nal-Travellers

On October 1, Air Canada announced that it was finalizing an initial order for 25,000 ID NOW rapid COVID-19 test kits from Abbott as part of its ongoing evaluation of COVID-19 testing technology and protocols.

Air Canada has been at the forefront of the airline industry in responding to COVID-19, including being among the first carriers globally to require customer face coverings onboard and the first airline in the Americas to take customers' temperatures prior to boarding. In May it introduced a comprehensive program, Air Canada CleanCare+, to apply industry leading biosafety measures at each stage of the journey.

Air Canada has undertaken several medical collaborations to further advance biosafety across its business, including with Cleveland Clinic Canada for medical advisory services, Ottawa-based Spartan Bioscience to explore portable COVID-19 testing technology and, since 2019, with Toronto-based BlueDot for real-time infectious disease global monitoring. It continues to explore other potential partnerships with technology and medical companies to further strengthen its biosafety protocols.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.