Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, this is the correct thread.

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

For information on claiming compensation under EU rules (a.k.a. EU261 or EC261), please see: Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 12:19 pm

Just an update on my experience.

Received a response from AC at the 11th hour of their extension request. I will try to summarize it, but obviously I'm not an airline professional, just pissed at my nearly 4 hour delay. Seems like they're holding their ground no compensation owed. They provided a long response document that has a bunch of info, many of which is not legible and left me more confused.

AC800 - YYZ-DUB delayed departure by 3:50 delayed arrival 3:27 on 12/30-12/1
text messages I received first told me there were delays due to maintenance, later delays because they were swapping the aircraft

The response from AC walked through my first leg of the flight (that wasn't delayed) then had various reports on AC140/AC801 that talked about a defect in the intercom system having a high pitch squeal eventually replacing some part. 3:50 minutes after first reported. The next report outlines the same repairs starting at 00:23 and finishing at 03:43 (when we were in the air on what I believe is a different plane than originally planned based on their communication).

Their reasoning for denying the claim is because it was an unforeseen safety issue and out of their control and they outlined it had to be fixed before we could leave.

Either way, super confusing, they probably spent more time than the $400 I requested fighting this and left me even more confused/never flying AC again if it's within my control.

Guess at this point it's in the hands of the CTC to review and decide if they were in the wrong or not.
Old May 9, 2024, 10:25 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have been given a compensation promotion code of 15% off a base fare.
Can I use this for a business class fare too?
Hopefully someone can respond urgently as trying to buying a ticket.

Thank you
Old May 9, 2024, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd

Thank you
You should be able to. But remember its off the Base fare which excludes any surcharges, so it won't be 15% off the published fare. e.g a $1,900 one way TATL J fare may be $800 base fare, $800 in surcharges plus fees & taxes. So the 15% off base is $120 reduction.
Old May 9, 2024, 11:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE

Thank you
You should be able to, but often the e-mail that sent it to you includes the terms and conditions. But also... why not just try it on the website and see if the discount is applied to business class fares?
billdokes and kalderlake like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 10:54 am

It is a promo code and it is not letting me enter it at all. it is asking for a pin and I never got it either.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:10 pm

It is a promo code and it is not letting me enter it at all. it is asking for a pin and I never got it either.
A promo code shouldn't need a pin? (Assuming you are entering it on the page where you first select your origin/destination and dates.)

Also, I have a similar code and have noticed that if I apply the code, some flight options disappear (I'm searching NA-EU so I think there's something with some LH group flights where the code is not applicable?)
Old May 11, 2024, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
A promo code shouldn't need a pin? (Assuming you are entering it on the page where you first select your origin/destination and dates.)

Also, I have a similar code and have noticed that if I apply the code, some flight options disappear (I'm searching NA-EU so I think there's something with some LH group flights where the code is not applicable?)
It is a compensation code and it says 15% off the basic fare. On the website it is not showing where to enter but I am not in Canada so unable to get a call in to find out. I have bought my ticket so would try again next time after calling them.
Old May 11, 2024, 9:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Heyden
Looking for some insight into the process regarding a cancelled flight.

On April 8, I was booked on AC1661 from Tampa to Toronto at 20:30. I was informed by text message at 18:51 that the flight was cancelled because of "crew scheduling issues." Air Canada informed me a few minutes later I was rebooked on AC1991 on April 9 departing at 14:00.
An update on the above: I submitted a claim to Air Canada on April 10 for expenses incurred due to the last minute cancellation. I received a message from them on May 11 saying I would be compensated $1,000 for the disruption with a security answer for an e-Transfer that would arrive in 5 to 10 business days.

Easy peasy so far.
Old May 11, 2024, 3:34 pm

It is a compensation code and it says 15% off the basic fare. On the website it is not showing where to enter but I am not in Canada so unable to get a call in to find out. I have bought my ticket so would try again next time after calling them.
The x% off codes get entered here:
Attached Images  
YYC009 and Davvidd like this.
Old May 18, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Heyden
On April 8, I was booked on AC1661 from Tampa to Toronto at 20:30. I was informed by text message at 18:51 that the flight was cancelled because of "crew scheduling issues." Air Canada informed me a few minutes later I was rebooked on AC1991 on April 9 departing at 14:00.
Final update: I received two payments from Air Canada this week. The first was a payment of expenses due to the cancellation and a second payment of $1,000 in compensation. I hadn't specifically requested the compensation but had submitted receipts for car rental and two meals.
Old May 18, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
Is it a new thing on the contact us page that the delayed or cancelled flight claim asks for a ticket number and name, and if it does not find an internal valid claim for that flight, it prevents you from contacting them further? I have yet to meet a flight delay Air Canada found it was at fault for.
Old May 21, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: Air Canada 35K, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Compensation offered

Originally Posted by pete_coach
Hey, OK.
You were offered an early morning flight and you said ""Let me sleep please" (Hotel and food vouchers provided in YYC)
Agent moved me onto AC 217 departing at 2pm.".
I wish you good luck with your claim.

I guess 3 months later update on my claim.

Submitted claim via APPR and got an email this morning from Air Canada in regards to my claim.

Offered $1,000 with no questions asked via e-transfer. Yet to receive this transfer but have a case number in regards to this.

They did oddly ask me to email APPR and cancel my claim after payment
Old May 22, 2024, 8:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
AC033 has been canceled for May 5th. Paid extra for PY flex award as there was R space when I booked and I was confirmed in J. They rebooked me on an earlier flight in J but on a 321 instead of a 777. I put in a claim and they denied the claim as they say they got me home earlier. So $0 no coupon either. Disappointed even though I guess technically they got me home on time.
Old May 22, 2024, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Rundosrun
Is it a new thing on the contact us page that the delayed or cancelled flight claim asks for a ticket number and name, and if it does not find an internal valid claim for that flight, it prevents you from contacting them further? I have yet to meet a flight delay Air Canada found it was at fault for.
Mine did ask for ticket number and the system wouldnt let me contact them again. But AC found itself at fault in 2/2 of my delay claims.
Old May 22, 2024, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smilee
AC033 has been canceled for May 5th. Paid extra for PY flex award as there was R space when I booked and I was confirmed in J. They rebooked me on an earlier flight in J but on a 321 instead of a 777. I put in a claim and they denied the claim as they say they got me home earlier. So $0 no coupon either. Disappointed even though I guess technically they got me home on time.
You paid for PY and flew J, and arrived on time.

I'm honestly not sure what you were expecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.