Wiki Posts
Search

Eup credits for Signature routes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Eup credits for Signature routes

Considering AC charges more for, say domestic and TB lay flat seats and also for signature routes, why doesn't the airline charge more eup credits?

Also, for revenue flights and thus equipment swaps they have to deal with refunds accordingly so they could do the same with eup credits?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by meltedmarshmellow
Considering AC charges more for, say domestic and TB lay flat seats and also for signature routes, why doesn't the airline charge more eup credits?

Also, for revenue flights and thus equipment swaps they have to deal with refunds accordingly so they could do the same with eup credits?
Why dont they charge fewer credits for non-Signature routes?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plumber
Because the credits required haven't changed since pre those routes

Just like fares.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:18 am

Because the credits required haven't changed since pre those routes

Just like fares.
LOL... I know...

You are wondering why they dont increase the credits required for Signature routes (just like the fares).

I am suggesting maybe the Signature routes should be the baseline and if they like your general idea, then they should DECREASE the credits required for non-Signature routes...

Just changing your proposed baseline.
D582 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan

Ssssshhhhh.... don’t give them any ideas
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
This is the better idea.
42000ft and D582 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE
AC's eupgrade program is already a candidate for the most complicated upgrade program given the combination of branded fares, fare classes, distances, and co-pays. If you buy a Flex fare for a YYZ-YVR, there could be 3 different eupgrade levels depending on the fare class. If you buy a given fare class, there could be 3 different eupgrade requirements depending on whether it's Standard, Flex, or Comfort, and potential co-pay amounts. Plus, there's the "regular" requirements, and then the promotional requirements, even though the "promotional" levels had become the norm for the past few years via an ongoing "promotion."

If anything, AC needs to simplify the program and not make it more complex. I know each incremental change had a rationale, but when you add them all up, it's created a program that frontline AC employees don't even understand.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcashin
AC's eupgrade program is already a candidate for the most complicated upgrade program given the combination of branded fares, fare classes, distances, and co-pays. If you buy a Flex fare for a YYZ-YVR, there could be 3 different eupgrade levels depending on the fare class. If you buy a given fare class, there could be 3 different eupgrade requirements depending on whether it's Standard, Flex, or Comfort, and potential co-pay amounts. Plus, there's the "regular" requirements, and then the promotional requirements, even though the "promotional" levels had become the norm for the past few years via an ongoing "promotion."

If anything, AC needs to simplify the program and not make it more complex. I know each incremental change had a rationale, but when you add them all up, it's created a program that frontline AC employees don't even understand.
It's because you don't work at the airport.
dr_torch and Plumber like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
I would argue they kind of do as the signature routes also have PE cabins which you could argue is fairly similar (soft product needs some work) to non PLH/Signature J at a fraction of the eups.

As a frequent traveller of LAX-YYZ, I always pick the wide body flight but often only bother to try and upgrade into PE which is 2-6 EUPS instead of 8-11.
canadiancow, D582 and Plumber like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
I would argue they kind of do as the signature routes also have PE cabins which you could argue is fairly similar (soft product needs some work) to non PLH/Signature J at a fraction of the eups.

As a frequent traveller of LAX-YYZ, I always pick the wide body flight but often only bother to try and upgrade into PE which is 2-6 EUPS instead of 8-11.
I travel YOW-YVR all the time to connect Asia... no such PE exists on these direct flights... still need to pay J credits.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: AC SE
It's because you don't work at the airport.
I've been around enough to know most of the details of the program, but a few gems from the eupgrade experts who do work at the airport:
"It's not possible to upgrade someone traveling on the same flight unless they're on the same PNR." (This was pre-Amadeus at the airport)
"It's not possible to request an eupgrade for an Aeroplan (X) reward ticket on a domestic flight." (Also pre-Amadeus at the airport)
"The resource desk says it should be 11 credits" despite that the 3 year ongoing promo where the eupgrade charts says 8. Apparently the resource desk was looking at the "regular" eupgrade charts, and not the semi-permanent promotion chart.

So yeah, even those who work at the airport sometimes don't understand the details. ;-)
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcashin
I've been around enough to know most of the details of the program, but a few gems from the eupgrade experts who do work at the airport:
"It's not possible to upgrade someone traveling on the same flight unless they're on the same PNR." (This was pre-Amadeus at the airport)
"It's not possible to request an eupgrade for an Aeroplan (X) reward ticket on a domestic flight." (Also pre-Amadeus at the airport)
"The resource desk says it should be 11 credits" despite that the 3 year ongoing promo where the eupgrade charts says 8. Apparently the resource desk was looking at the "regular" eupgrade charts, and not the semi-permanent promotion chart.

So yeah, even those who work at the airport sometimes don't understand the details. ;-)
Yeah it was a joke. Just today three Air Canada agents at the airport told me things that were not correct. This is on top of my inability to reach anyone at Air Canada by phone.

I need to stop spending money with this airline.
dr_torch and gcashin like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
I travel YOW-YVR all the time to connect Asia... no such PE exists on these direct flights... still need to pay J credits.
It might be worthwhile connecting in YYZ to create the opportunity then. I travel a lot between LAX and YOW and strategically pick the wide body flights for the upgrade opportunities forcing a YYZ connection instead of YUL or YYC.

Though if your Asia trips are in PE then a direct YOW-YVR flight would map to B and be a cheap upgrade to J.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Though if your Asia trips are in PE then a direct YOW-YVR flight would map to B and be a cheap upgrade to J.
Bingo! That's what I do :-) Sure YOW-YVR is (usually) an A321 but for the duration of the flight and the fact that I don't want to be sleeping anyway it works.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:38 am

The majority are in Paid J... On these, I prefer to connect though YYZ only when I can so I can use the SS.

But many MRs in the past two years have been booked in PE to get the DOM portion booked into B for immediate upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.