Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude Program Overview 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Altitude Program Overview 2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by andrewlawton
I'm just noting it doesn't appear as a benefit.
It did when I looked a few hours ago.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It did when I looked a few hours ago.
Not in the PDF as far as I could see.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not in the PDF as far as I could see.
On the web page it did. And I just checked, it's there. And it says to February 2021.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Plumber likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
I have no idea if you're showing last year's or this year's, which was the whole point of the question.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I have no idea if you're showing last year's or this year's, which was the whole point of the question.
Seriously?

I logged into my Altitude page, and on the top of the page where it shows:

....I took this screen shot from the right side of the page.

Why would I post something from last year - even if it looks the same? Defeats the purpose of me posting.

Diabeetus and Bartolo like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:41 pm

Seriously?

Why would I post something from last year - even if it looks the same? Defeats the purpose of me posting.

Sorry, I forgot that no one has ever done any non-purpose posting.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by andrewlawton
I'm just noting it doesn't appear as a benefit.
Originally Posted by Plumber
I think this came up in 2019 and access was indeed still there in 2019. I assume its the same thing, but who knows?
Seriously?

I see what 24L sees.

As an aside, I kept my status through parental leave.

The original email from AC states that my status and privilege selection would not be manually set up until sometime in March 2020. It looks like they figured out how let me select privileges right away.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by YYT82
It is also worth noting that frequent flier programs, like any customer loyalty program, are designed to encourage incremental spending that would not have otherwise gone to the vendor. If a person already spends $50K a year flying only 40K miles and 16 segments, there is no point, from AC's perspective, to give this person anything more than E35K status since the said person already demonstrated willingness to spend that kind of money without much incentive.
Well UA, AA (and myself) obviously disagree with you. I will give AC more of my $ when they provide a spend based qualification option.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Air Canada
Originally Posted by BrotherBranwell
Well UA, AA (and myself) obviously disagree with you. I will give AC more of my $ when they provide a spend based qualification option.
I concur, I've spent over $20K and only reach 50K Elite due to AQMs @ 58K, would be nice for AQDs to help elevate the status level. At the end of the day, bottom line (no matter KPIs they set, based on flight capacity or miles flown), should be taken into consideration here.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MastaAds
I concur, I've spent over $20K and only reach 50K Elite due to AQMs @ 58K, would be nice for AQDs to help elevate the status level. At the end of the day, bottom line (no matter KPIs they set, based on flight capacity or miles flown), should be taken into consideration here.
If you really want to talk about bottom line, a lot of people here who complain about high spend and low status may not be nearly as profitable as they think they are. Generally CPM gets lower as (a) planes get bigger and (b) flights get longer. For instance, Jazz's CASM, back when they published it, was nearly 2x AC's.

So people who rack up a lot of dollars flying YYZ-YAM, YYZ-YUL, and so on, also likely cost AC a lot more, per mile, to fly around than those doing more long-haul travel. Hence they may be high-spending without being terribly profitable.

Of course, measuring each flyer's individual profitability would be so complex as to not be worth it, but it would be nice if people around here at least acknowledged that top line and bottom line aren't the same thing.

If AC does introduce a spend-only qualification, you should be prepared for it to take more than $20K to make SE. AA and US both have a significant revenue premium for the spend-only status. So if it takes $25K to make SE, will that satisfy you, or are you just going to moan about how the spend threshold is too high?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
If you really want to talk about bottom line, a lot of people here who complain about high spend and low status may not be nearly as profitable as they think they are. Generally CPM gets lower as (a) planes get bigger and (b) flights get longer. For instance, Jazz's CASM, back when they published it, was nearly 2x AC's.

So people who rack up a lot of dollars flying YYZ-YAM, YYZ-YUL, and so on, also likely cost AC a lot more, per mile, to fly around than those doing more long-haul travel. Hence they may be high-spending without being terribly profitable.

Of course, measuring each flyer's individual profitability would be so complex as to not be worth it, but it would be nice if people around here at least acknowledged that top line and bottom line aren't the same thing.

If AC does introduce a spend-only qualification, you should be prepared for it to take more than $20K to make SE. AA and US both have a significant revenue premium for the spend-only status. So if it takes $25K to make SE, will that satisfy you, or are you just going to moan about how the spend threshold is too high?
30+ when going from USD to CAD

So I think to answer to your final question is "yes".
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Of course the spend threshold for SE would go up from $20k if they went to a spend-only model.

Today they say, AT MINIMUM, that one must spend $20k AND fly 100k AQMs. People seem to forget that this is the absolute minimum. It's like coming last in the race - but hey, you finished, so we have to list your name in the results.

If they want to go spend only, that's fine with me. I can't imagine I wouldn't qualify no matter what changes they make - and I'm still a bottom-feeder dime-a-dozen unlike some of you crazy folk here with your 400k miles a year.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by MastaAds
Further to Adam Smith's reply above, you spent over $20K only reaching E50K status, yet you still fly with AC. So you see how, from AC's perspective, they don't really need to give you any higher status since they can get away with it? Because really, if you didn't like it, you would have taken your spend elsewhere already.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYT82
Further to Adam Smith's reply above, you spent over $20K only reaching E50K status, yet you still fly with AC. So you see how, from AC's perspective, they don't really need to give you any higher status since they can get away with it? Because really, if you didn't like it, you would have taken your spend elsewhere already.
However they could have another alternative in addition to the current ones, say 50k miles, and something like $40k or $50k, also giving SE status. Not sure the previous poster would be too happy with that though. But some would. I don't quite see why they have not done that at this point.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.