Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MKE to YYZ - Short Connection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

MKE to YYZ - Short Connection

I booked my first United business class award ticket on Air Canada going from MKE - YYZ - MUC for this coming March. However, the first leg from MKE - YYZ was just changed and I've gone from a 2 hour layover at YYZ to 8.5 hours. I'd like to avoid taking another 1/2 day vacation and the long layover, but it seems the only other option is a flight with a 1.25 hour layover at YYZ. Is this enough time to make my connecting flight to Munich or should I stick with the long layover? I've read that evening flights on this route don't have a great 'on time' track record.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:03 pm

I used to fly MKE-YYZ on an almost weekly basis. The 1:25 connection should be more than enough time, including a small buffer for slight delays.

If you misconnect in YYZ there may be other options to connect on later ex-YYZ flights (via other EU cities) that could get you in to MUC later than planned, but better than planning a 1/2 day in YYZ.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Truth be told, I have watched from my usual perch somewhere behind the gate agents (but totally out of the way) the amount of people from small stations who end up mis-connecting due to delays, etc.

Odds are, March weather will be fine...but it could also not be. You have a buffer and less chance of missing a day or the stress of a mis-connect.

I know it is a pain but I would vote to stay and get positioned earlier
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
1.25 is way more than enough, it's all about delays. When you get off coming in from the USA, you just head down the hallway, quick left at the end of the walkway for a passport check to the international gates, and then right back down to the international gates. Without running I've done it in under 10 minutes including a long walk.

It's really the delays that are your concerns here, not the cnx itself.
Symmetre and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Hopefully someone in the know can help out if there is a GDP due weather that day.......
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
The connection is pretty easy, but you'll have a long walk from the small jet area to International. Worst case if you mis-connect there is a later flight to FRA that they could accommodate you on.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
It's really the delays that are your concerns here, not the cnx itself.
This is 100% spot-on. AC is not exactly known for its OTP (it is, actually, but not in a good way).
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
It's about 15 minutes walk from where the MKE flight comes in to the international transit point. I have never seen a line in the international transit (in 100 or so flights the last couple years) then the walk to the MUC gate is maybe 10 minutes. If you are carrying on that's a regional jet, so you'll have a 10 minute wait for bags. About 50% of my flights have a 5 or 10 minute wait for the gate to be ready, regional jets included which account for many of my flights. So you have about 45 minutes likely "transit" activities. You have a buffer, but it's not great . . .

The MLL lounge you can get into in the international area on the business class award is not bad - OK food and views. If you want to take the long layover, you can catch a train called the UP Express from the terminal you arrive into (follow the signs for trains to the city) to downtown Toronto which takes about half an hour; it's like $13 each way or something for visitors. There is an aquarium, the hockey hall of fame, the CN tower, bunch of restaurants, a museum and art gallery within 15 minutes walk or subway from Union (the main downtown train station). I assume you are American so obviously no visa needed, just follow the signs to exit / baggage and fill out the customs form and write in transit to Munich for your address. In March the weather can still be pretty cool just like Milwaukee, so bring the little coat (probably don't need the big coat). Downtown Toronto is a bit of a wind tunnel some days, but everything can be accessed from the underground PATH and/or subway without much outside time, so you'll be fine.

Safe travels.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:56 pm

Do you need/want to fly AC?
Since this is a schedule change, you could call UA and ask to be put on UA if they have a schedule more to your liking.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I think we will roll the dice and go with the short layover. There are a handful of other flights to MUC departing 30 min. to 2 hours after ours - so we can try to catch one of those if delayed.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:33 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by granee65
There are a handful of other flights to MUC departing 30 min. to 2 hours after ours - so we can try to catch one of those if delayed.
Not sure I follow this, as there's only one direct from YYZ to MUC a day. Or are you referring to the option to get re-booked with an extra stop? FRA and LHR being your best options, but others also potentially being available (CDG, AMS, VIE come to mind as having late enough departures to potentially be available if you're too late for YYZ-MUC).

Originally Posted by tracon
Do you need/want to fly AC?
Since this is a schedule change, you could call UA and ask to be put on UA if they have a schedule more to your liking.
UA to ORD or EWR, but could then be UA, or LH, OS, SK, etc, if OP feels like hopping around a bit.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Our end destination is actually Venice (all on one itinerary), so there isn't anything direct later that day and we would be adding a stop or two. Not ideal, but we can make it work worst case scenario.

[QUOTE=Adam Smith;31831534]Welcome to FT!

Not sure I follow this, as there's only one direct from YYZ to MUC a day. Or are you referring to the option to get re-booked with an extra stop? FRA and LHR being your best options, but others also potentially being available (CDG, AMS, VIE come to mind as having late enough departures to potentially be available if you're too late for YYZ-MUC).
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The 1:25 connection time is, of course, within MCT but not SCT (Sensible Connection Time). Delays on micro-hauls are common and all it takes is a computer rebook or some airspace restriction for a few minutes and you will misconnect. IRROPS rebooking is likely possible, but it will take a chunk out of your time in VCE and likely mean lousy seats at the last minute.

Given the change, why not look at better routings MKE-VCE? UA can force space on any UA metal and it can rebook onto any *A carrier with award space or ask that space be opened. This far out, you may have a lot of good choices.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.