Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Feeding of flight segments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Feeding of flight segments

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AEROPLAN, ALASKA
Feeding of flight segments

I heard that manual feeding of flight segments by calling in to the call center will not work after mid November, when the new Amadeus system rolls in. Is this true?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:21 pm

For AP or for normal revenue tickets? Last time I called to book an AP ticket, I tried to feed them the exact segments I wanted on the phone, and the lady insisted that I just give city pairings. In the end, we came to the same itinerary, but it was unduly difficult.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
If true, what a downgrade.

Almost makes me wish the transition to Amadeus is delayed further.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
For AP or for normal revenue tickets? Last time I called to book an AP ticket, I tried to feed them the exact segments I wanted on the phone, and the lady insisted that I just give city pairings. In the end, we came to the same itinerary, but it was unduly difficult.
For an AP ticket. I booked a trip in September and I was able to feed segments. Now I worried about making a change after Nov.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This isn't the first time we've been "warned" about this, but I have two thoughts:

1. I've been unable to feed segments in the past. It's highly agent-dependent. In one case, she wouldn't do anything but what came in search results for SIN-SFO, which capped out at 3 segments, including SIN-TYO in Y. I found SIN-xxx-TYO in J. She just flat-out refused. Luckily I had a stopover left, so I told her I wanted to fly to YVR on the 8th instead. Then she asked when I wanted to go to SFO, and I said "the 8th". I got exactly what I wanted. Definitely harder to do this with one fewer stopover, but "I can't do it" coming from a front-line agent is NOT new.

2. What kind of search results will the new system give us? If it gives the options we want, it may all be a moot point, even if it's true.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
This isn't the first time we've been "warned" about this, but I have two thoughts:

1. I've been unable to feed segments in the past. It's highly agent-dependent. In one case, she wouldn't do anything but what came in search results for SIN-SFO, which capped out at 3 segments, including SIN-TYO in Y. I found SIN-xxx-TYO in J. She just flat-out refused. Luckily I had a stopover left, so I told her I wanted to fly to YVR on the 8th instead. Then she asked when I wanted to go to SFO, and I said "the 8th". I got exactly what I wanted. Definitely harder to do this with one fewer stopover, but "I can't do it" coming from a front-line agent is NOT new.

2. What kind of search results will the new system give us? If it gives the options we want, it may all be a moot point, even if it's true.
Fair point about agents.
Regarding search results, I am betting that it will be "optimized" for AC and LH flights
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by arvindhraman
Fair point about agents.
Regarding search results, I am betting that it will be "optimized" for AC and LH flights
It will be optimized the way it is right now. Shortest duration and fewest segments (though those are fairly highly correlated).

Based in SFO, I regularly get UA itineraries when I want AC because AC always adds a connection.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE

Well, most of the international tickets I have bought required feeding segment by segment because I often exceeded three segments each way, plus stopovers, plus other airlines, plus codeshares sometimes. I get that I may be a special case in that not many people book the way I do, but still...

Perhaps I need to find ways to hack Amadeus then.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: na
where did you hear this?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

It will be optimized the way it is right now. Shortest duration and fewest segments (though those are fairly highly correlated).

Based in SFO, I regularly get UA itineraries when I want AC because AC always adds a connection.
I have been trying to get a routing from SFO with UA, AP still shows routing through YVR.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYT82
Well, most of the international tickets I have bought required feeding segment by segment because I often exceeded three segments each way, plus stopovers, plus other airlines, plus codeshares sometimes. I get that I may be a special case in that not many people book the way I do, but still...

Perhaps I need to find ways to hack Amadeus then.
I have always had trips with a minimum of 13 segments and 2 stopovers. This is possible only by feeding them segments.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by arvindhraman
I have been trying to get a routing from SFO with UA, AP still shows routing through YVR.
That happens when the AC routing is the shortest with space available.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prettyflyforawifi
where did you hear this?
From another forum where a member tried to book a ticket on first week of October by feeding segments to the agent. Agent then said about the upcoming changes mid November.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

That happens when the AC routing is the shortest with space available.
For a mixed itinerary also?? To SE Asia? I was looking for J space and every routing is a mix of J and Y. With Y over the Pacific. So I was surprised it did not show UA.

On a side note, is PER-AKL NZ route an unicorn interms of J award space?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:11 pm

Interesting topic.

Out of curiosity as it currently stands it is possible for me to call Aeroplan and have them book a *A award ticket so long as there's Saver availability on ExpertFlyer? The reason I ask is I've got an upcoming flight to MAN I'd like to book using points (on AC/UA metal) that I doesn't appear on the website but does appear on ExpertFlyer.

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.