Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

impossible to book on AC from some foreign countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

impossible to book on AC from some foreign countries

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That costs like 20 cents per minute. PER MINUTE.

Have you ever had to deal with AC hold times?????

Most Canadian mobile carriers offer "roam like home" types of products that are relatively affordable. I spent more than an hour on hold with AC in while in London this summer (I think I had to call the non-toll free number, which was pretty easy to find).

The only problem was that I needed to go up and down between my room, the lobby and the Hilton executive lounge on one of the higher floors, and for fear of losing the signal in the elevator had to use the stairs.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Or... use Skype or something similar.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I'd avoid Expedia or many other TAs due to issues if it goes wrong later.

But I just downloaded Skype and use the wifi to call AC when I was in the US and didn't want to pay whatever my carrier wanted at the time ...
And that was from a hostel with free wifi.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Not sure if this is the point of this or not but here in Switzerland - I now find it completely impossible to access the Canadian site. It forces me to Switzerland - where I would never have my tickets issued. I try all angles but the site completely does not even give me a choice after it selects Switzerland to change to anything else.

AC if you are listening - this is crazy - - people need to be able to choose and the forced Geo-Location re-direct is completely not helpful. . . Trust me . . I will never book on your site unless I can re-direct to Canada - and ticket in CAD - which is the denomination of my credit card.
ridefar likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:51 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Just tried from the Netherlands. No problem accessing the Canadian site.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Not sure if this is the point of this or not but here in Switzerland - I now find it completely impossible to access the Canadian site. It forces me to Switzerland - where I would never have my tickets issued. I try all angles but the site completely does not even give me a choice after it selects Switzerland to change to anything else.

AC if you are listening - this is crazy - - people need to be able to choose and the forced Geo-Location re-direct is completely not helpful. . . Trust me . . I will never book on your site unless I can re-direct to Canada - and ticket in CAD - which is the denomination of my credit card.
I am in France at the moment and I have no problem accessing the Canadian site. Never had a problem either in Germany or Belgium, and I have a hard time believing Switzerland is any different. I suspect if you delete cookies and/or offload your browser and restart you will be able to access it. aircanada.com does weird things with their cookies and all that spyware crap. Geolocation does find I am in France, but the first page loaded allows me to pick another location.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
I just tried from Australia. WOW? ...? OK it works with VPN.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I can only thank most of you but the issue is in at least Brazil, one cannot access AC Reservations or even Altitude/....I could b0k throgh another engine but I have a creidit I want to use on AC Medal. Here in Brazil I cannot even log into my Altitude account for e-upgrade purposes on my return flight. AC flys here from both YYZ and now YUL to GRU.

must state this is not the first time I have experienced this problem as I come to Brazil at least 2 or 3 times a year but this problem started about 3 or 5 years ago so it is on going without any action by AC.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
as a long standing SE, I expect better service from my airline of choice.....air Canada consistently lets me down in cases like this. I realize I can use other engines, but why should I have to go to that trouble when AC is supposed to be my one and only airline? go figure!

Mr. 100k for 19 years as SUPERELITE is not pleased....25 yrs as Aeroplan member.

Last edited by 100,000miler; Oct 27, 2019 at 6:42 pm Reason: CLARIFICATION

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.