Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Can you force an overnight connection on an AE search?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Can you force an overnight connection on an AE search?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Can you force an overnight connection on an AE search?

i'd like to fly an early afternoon flight on LH out of LAX. I'd like to get from YVR to LAX the evening before to avoid any potential for missing the flight.

It seems that aeroplan searches only show same day connections even when there is availability for a flight the day before. I am also assuming that i am allowed a layover of up to 24 hours since it's an international itinerary. I can't use multi-city since it will be a one-way award.

do any of you know if there is there a way to force aeroplan.com to show me this itinerary or must i call in?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise
i'd like to fly an early afternoon flight on LH out of LAX. I'd like to get from YVR to LAX the evening before to avoid any potential for missing the flight.

It seems that aeroplan searches only show same day connections even when there is availability for a flight the day before. I am also assuming that i am allowed a layover of up to 24 hours since it's an international itinerary. I can't use multi-city since it will be a one-way award.

do any of you know if there is there a way to force aeroplan.com to show me this itinerary or must i call in?
You would need to phone in and tell them the individual segments you want.

Easy to do, but pay the fee, you must.
WannabeSE likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Sometimes you get lucky and searching the day before will show you what you want, but I agree calling in is often necessary.
Adam Smith and Twickenham like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You need to call and pay the $30++ booking fee.

So is this how unreliable AC OTP is now? People book overnights because they have no faith AC will get them to their destination?
asovse1 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Sometimes you get lucky and searching the day before will show you what you want, but I agree calling in is often necessary.
It's a miracle if AP shows me the route I want if it isn't on AC or LH and has a layover outside LHR, MUC or FRA when searching online...

You can also do a multi-segment booking and force the dates / connection for one direction (if you're booking RT) and you can get the routing directly bookable on the return.

AP website would be much easier if they allowed you to do 4 segments in the multi-segment page!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

thank you all for confirming my suspicions. it isn't so much the $30 fee as much as it is holding for a long time before i get to an agent.

as i mentioned, i cannot use multi-city because i'll be booking a one-way. i wouldn't have to book a one way if aeroplan didn't price the entire trip as first when only one leg is in first.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: AC*SE
Make sure to try Google flights search as well. I usually can find the overnight or 3+ segment oneway flights there that aren't available on AC's site, but the downside is you won't be able to use any coupon or promo codes.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by timriley12
Make sure to try Google flights search as well. I usually can find the overnight or 3+ segment oneway flights there that aren't available on AC's site, but the downside is you won't be able to use any coupon or promo codes.
How is this going to help on a one way award ticket?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
thank you all for confirming my suspicions. it isn't so much the $30 fee as much as it is holding for a long time before i get to an agent.

as i mentioned, i cannot use multi-city because i'll be booking a one-way. i wouldn't have to book a one way if aeroplan didn't price the entire trip as first when only one leg is in first.
I have not had problems with wait times in the contact centre for a long time...is this an issue again?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:09 pm

I was able to do just that with Aeroplan this week.
No OSL-YYJ availability, but if I break it down into OSL-YUL, YUL-YYJ, I get what I want. The last segment to YYJ is the next morning, but I'll deal with that by either standing by for an earlier YUL-YVR and taking the ferry or something else.
$30 fee was charged, and Supervisor assistance was needed, but it ticketed.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TOR27
I have not had problems with wait times in the contact centre for a long time...is this an issue again?
i had to call a couple of weeks ago for a different issue and hung up after half-an-hour. IIRC, the recording said that there were long wait times due to an update or something like that.

does your status give you priority? i'm just a lowly bottom dwelling flyer.

Originally Posted by cedric
I was able to do just that with Aeroplan this week.
No OSL-YYJ availability, but if I break it down into OSL-YUL, YUL-YYJ, I get what I want. The last segment to YYJ is the next morning, but I'll deal with that by either standing by for an earlier YUL-YVR and taking the ferry or something else.
$30 fee was charged, and Supervisor assistance was needed, but it ticketed.
thanks for the data point, neighbor. good to know.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:58 pm

For my own experience I called last Wednesday evening around 7:25pm Pacific. Was on hold for about 20-25 minutes. Then took just over half an hour to ticket due to need for supervisor involvement. Total call time 1 hour.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
i had to call a couple of weeks ago for a different issue and hung up after half-an-hour. IIRC, the recording said that there were long wait times due to an update or something like that.
They were exceptionally busy Labor Day weekend due to the changes.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Called to add an infant yesterday morning before work, it was 45min+, I had to leave for work and had to let my wife finish the call.

Called AC today and it was ~30 minutes but they have a call-back option that actually worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.