Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

OZ *G but only recognized as *S when flying AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold

As title. I've never had this issue flying other star alliance airlines but somehow, today, when I checked in at YVR, for an AC flight, I was only recognized as star silver and the lounge agent didn't even let me in even though my app is showing I'm indeed star gold. Anyone had experience with this and how should I resolve this?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How long have you been *G?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Half a year with OZ. Flew a number of flights on others airlines and it was never a problem.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
If you booked before you had gold status possibly showing your status at time of booking.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC 75K
What is your Asiana status? If it’s Gold, that’s equivalent to *S.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ailiton
Half a year with OZ. Flew a number of flights on others airlines and it was never a problem.
Hmm. I know some systems are slower than others, and UA certainly saw me as AC*S when I'd been gold for a few weeks, it certainly didn't take months.

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
If you booked before you had gold status possibly showing your status at time of booking.
When the flight moves to DCS (~4 days out), it fetches all that information again.

That said, it never hurts to try removing and re-adding the number.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As title. I've never had this issue flying other star alliance airlines but somehow, today, when I checked in at YVR, for an AC flight, I was only recognized as star silver and the lounge agent didn't even let me in even though my app is showing I'm indeed star gold. Anyone had experience with this and how should I resolve this?
Did you say something to the check in agent to try to get it fixed then? In some airports, status is useful for fast track scuurity/passport control before you get to the lounge.

I would have raised a fuss when being denied lounge access.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I would have raised a fuss when being denied lounge access.
That tends not to do much. If their system shows you as *S, and you don't have a physical *G card, you're not getting in. I experienced that many times on United as I rapidly went from E35K to E75K over the course of several weeks, so I had many UA flights where I was technically *G but didn't have a card yet and their system showed *S.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That tends not to do much. If their system shows you as *S, and you don't have a physical *G card, you're not getting in. I experienced that many times on United as I rapidly went from E35K to E75K over the course of several weeks, so I had many UA flights where I was technically *G but didn't have a card yet and their system showed *S.
But - Asiana Gold ( which = *A silver) or Asiana Diamond or Platinum (which = *A gold)??
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by lallied
But - Asiana Gold ( which = *A silver) or Asiana Diamond or Platinum (which = *A gold)??
Certainly a fair question (and stupid choice of tier names on OZ's part), but the thread title specifically says *G, and the OP says other airlines recognize the *G properly.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 9, 2019 at 10:23 am Reason: off topic
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:54 am
Original Poster

OP here. Just got into Frankfurt. No issue getting into LH lounge and they even reprinted my boarding pass and it said OZ*G.

For those who asked - I'm OZ Diamond.

When I got to YVR to check in, I asked both the check in agent and the lounge agent to help me fix it, both of which said they could not.

It would suck if I continue to be denied benefits when I fly AC.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:00 am

OP here. Just got into Frankfurt. No issue getting into LH lounge and they even reprinted my boarding pass and it said OZ*G.

For those who asked - I'm OZ Diamond.

When I got to YVR to check in, I asked both the check in agent and the lounge agent to help me fix it, both of which said they could not.

It would suck if I continue to be denied benefits when I fly AC.
So you should have access as everyone points out. Maybe they are over interpreting OZ*G. It’s usually LH who want a physical (not app card). Maybe she was having a bad day as seems odd. Write in and complain and ask for compensation 😊
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Certainly a fair question (and stupid choice of tier names on OZ's part), but the thread title specifically says *G, and the OP says other airlines recognize the *G properly.
Not everything folk write in FT is exactly what they intended to say esp when galloping through airports.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 9, 2019 at 10:24 am Reason: edit quote
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
What is your Asiana status? If it’s Gold, that’s equivalent to *S.
Your response is the only one that matters, because you are correct. Direct and to the point.
As per the *A website
Asiana Club Gold
We are delighted to confirm that your status equates to Star Alliance Silver. This status recognises that you are a frequent traveller on the Star Alliance network and have flown regularly with our member airlines. You are entitled to the Star Alliance Silver Status benefits. Keep flying and you could make it to Alliance Gold status soon!

Asiana DIAMOND is the equivalent of *A Gold and allows the lounge access.

Almost all of the *A member airlines have moved to a common Gold status standard. there are a few holdouts and Asiana is one of them. (Lufthansa Group & Turkish still use their confusing titles.)
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Your response is the only one that matters, because you are correct. Direct and to the point.
As per the *A website
Asiana Club Gold
We are delighted to confirm that your status equates to Star Alliance Silver. This status recognises that you are a frequent traveller on the Star Alliance network and have flown regularly with our member airlines. You are entitled to the Star Alliance Silver Status benefits. Keep flying and you could make it to Alliance Gold status soon!

Asiana DIAMOND is the equivalent of *A Gold and allows the lounge access.

Almost all of the *A member airlines have moved to a common Gold status standard. there are a few holdouts and Asiana is one of them. (Lufthansa Group & Turkish still use their confusing titles.)
Well OP has already responded and clarified that they are Diamond, so...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.