Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Excessive number of cancellations for AC Jazz flights within Ontario

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS

I was supposed to fly YYZ-YZR tonight, but my flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues with the DH1. It seems that a lot of the short flights around Ontario get cancelled very frequently! Tonight alone, the flights to Kingston, Windsor, and Sarnia were all cancelled. Reliability on these flights seems absurdly low given the frequency of cancellations!

Does anybody have a clue as to why this occurs so frequently? Could it be problems with the ageing DH1s and DH3s?

Thankfully in my case, I ended up getting on a flight to YXU instead, so no overnighting at Pearson!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by codfather
I was supposed to fly YYZ-YZR tonight, but my flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues with the DH1. It seems that a lot of the short flights around Ontario get cancelled very frequently! Tonight alone, the flights to Kingston, Windsor, and Sarnia were all cancelled. Reliability on these flights seems absurdly low given the frequency of cancellations!

Does anybody have a clue as to why this occurs so frequently? Could it be problems with the ageing DH1s and DH3s?

Thankfully in my case, I ended up getting on a flight to YXU instead, so no overnighting at Pearson!
I have been told they are old, planned for going out of service, lots of mechanical issues and when a mechanical those airports with alternate transportation available are lowest on the list when there is rescheduling. YGK just revamped their airport and runway at great cost though why escapes me given cancellations most days and so moving probably 120 passengers a day. Given the number travelling (with Queens and RM. etc) seems likely virtually everyone goes to YUL, YOW or SYR , drives to YYZ.

It may not be true.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
After my last experience flying in/out of YGK, I vowed to always take the train/ fly into YUL/YOW instead. This seemed to be the attitude of most locals and Queens students.

I'm confused as to how the intra Ontario commuter flights have historically been so unreliable whereas flying AC Express within BC is relatively dependable, unless you're flying into YCG "Cancelgar"!!
codfather likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Of course, the flight to Sarnia this morning was delayed also! I am just hoping that my flight on the way back is not delayed or my segment run will be at risk! Just need to get to YYZ...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
While I haven't noticed an excessive number of cancelled flights myself, If you were trying to fly within Southern Ontario last night, major thunderstorms were an issue depending on the time. That would most likely explain cancellations for Windsor and Sarnia, and London. The storm moved through those areas around 10-11pm last night.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
While I haven't noticed an excessive number of cancelled flights myself, If you were trying to fly within Southern Ontario last night, major thunderstorms were an issue depending on the time. That would most likely explain cancellations for Windsor and Sarnia, and London. The storm moved through those areas around 10-11pm last night.
@ygk_flights for eg on Twitter tracks the YGK cancellations. Some weather but lots of mechs and scheds. Usually every 2-3 days which is a lot for an airport with limited service
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marke190
After my last experience flying in/out of YGK, I vowed to always take the train/ fly into YUL/YOW instead. This seemed to be the attitude of most locals and Queens students.

I'm confused as to how the intra Ontario commuter flights have historically been so unreliable whereas flying AC Express within BC is relatively dependable, unless you're flying into YCG "Cancelgar"!!
I've only had one issue with YGK, and it was due to YYZ runway construction (or something). I haven't done it in a while, but coming from SFO, making a train connection is not even remotely as easy as flying.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've only had one issue with YGK, and it was due to YYZ runway construction (or something). I haven't done it in a while, but coming from SFO, making a train connection is not even remotely as easy as flying.
Flying is the best for sure if the plane isn’t hours delayed or cancelled. With YGK current on time rate, frequent cancellations and terrible schedule ( some days out is 5.45 or 14.30) most folk have given up at least on outbound and take a more reliable form of transport (unless it doesn’t matter / lots of alternatives if misconnect) as far as I can tell. Inbound - well, haven’t had less than an hour delay or cancellation all year but I personally still take the plane if it actually goes.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
This is the same reason I connect in YYZ 90% of the time and YUL 10% ... too many YOW-YUL flights are on DH1/3/4s and you've got a) mechanical issues with the ageing DH1/3s and b) small planes being the first ones to be cut when there are slot restrictions due to IRROPS (well, and c) better frequency YOW-YYZ, which is not really relevant to this discussion). As a percentage of flights, YOW-YUL is cancelled way more often than YOW-YYZ, which is all E190/A320/767.

I'm typing this on the train from YUL to YOW, FWIW ;-)
canadiancow, lallied and codfather like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lallied
YGK just revamped their airport and runway at great cost though why escapes me given cancellations most days and so moving probably 120 passengers a day. Given the number travelling (with Queens and RM. etc) seems likely virtually everyone goes to YUL, YOW or SYR , drives to YYZ.

It may not be true.
My elderly parents live in Kingston, and fly 2-3 times a year to destinations in the US. For them, flying out of YGK is by far the preferred option, due to convenience. Driving (or taking a bus) to YYZ is cumbersome but doable. They have also taken the train to Toronto and flown out of YTZ. Driving to YOW or SYR are preferable to YYZ; for some reason they are unwilling to drive to YUL. Now that UA flies out of OGS, that might become the next-best option to YGK going forward.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lallied
I have been told they are old, planned for going out of service, lots of mechanical issues and when a mechanical those airports with alternate transportation available are lowest on the list when there is rescheduling. YGK just revamped their airport and runway at great cost though why escapes me given cancellations most days and so moving probably 120 passengers a day. Given the number travelling (with Queens and RM. etc) seems likely virtually everyone goes to YUL, YOW or SYR , drives to YYZ.

It may not be true.
I lived in YGK for a number of years until moving away to attend university in the early 2000s. To add context to this, during my time there not once did I ever know anyone who actually flew out of YGK. Driving to YYZ was the norm.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
I thought it must have been the weather, but the delay reason was listed as mechanical on the AC app.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
This is the same reason I connect in YYZ 90% of the time and YUL 10% ... too many YOW-YUL flights are on DH1/3/4s and you've got a) mechanical issues with the ageing DH1/3s and b) small planes being the first ones to be cut when there are slot restrictions due to IRROPS (well, and c) better frequency YOW-YYZ, which is not really relevant to this discussion). As a percentage of flights, YOW-YUL is cancelled way more often than YOW-YYZ, which is all E190/A320/767.

I'm typing this on the train from YUL to YOW, FWIW ;-)
I am flying YUL-YOW on the 26th. I'm thankfully on an A320 (but they have seen better days also lol).
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jcamp028
I lived in YGK for a number of years until moving away to attend university in the early 2000s. To add context to this, during my time there not once did I ever know anyone who actually flew out of YGK. Driving to YYZ was the norm.
Given fares I've seen on YGK compared to YYZ, I can appreciate that. I've only ever flown on flight passes and Aeroplan.

Cheapest SFO-YYZ base fares are 326 / 731 / 855 CAD, one way, for Y/PY/J.
Cheapest SFO-YGK base fares are 472 / N/A / 1324 (no PY fares at all).

So in Y, it's debatable whether a flight, UPX, and VIA are worth it, given the hassle. But maybe. For J, you could probably take a limo for that difference.

And this fare difference is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than I expected, given what it was last time I looked it up (I seem to recall them not even having a published fare for SFO-YGK at one point, meaning you'd have to combine).
codfather, marke190 and lallied like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Given fares I've seen on YGK compared to YYZ, I can appreciate that. I've only ever flown on flight passes and Aeroplan.

Cheapest SFO-YYZ base fares are 326 / 731 / 855 CAD, one way, for Y/PY/J.
Cheapest SFO-YGK base fares are 472 / N/A / 1324 (no PY fares at all).

So in Y, it's debatable whether a flight, UPX, and VIA are worth it, given the hassle. But maybe. For J, you could probably take a limo for that difference.

And this fare difference is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than I expected, given what it was last time I looked it up (I seem to recall them not even having a published fare for SFO-YGK at one point, meaning you'd have to combine).
Some of my high school friends and their families did just that back then for their winter vacations down south. Took a limo to YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.