Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Excessive number of cancellations for AC Jazz flights within Ontario

Excessive number of cancellations for AC Jazz flights within Ontario

Old Aug 20, 19, 9:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 263
Excessive number of cancellations for AC Jazz flights within Ontario

I was supposed to fly YYZ-YZR tonight, but my flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues with the DH1. It seems that a lot of the short flights around Ontario get cancelled very frequently! Tonight alone, the flights to Kingston, Windsor, and Sarnia were all cancelled. Reliability on these flights seems absurdly low given the frequency of cancellations!

Does anybody have a clue as to why this occurs so frequently? Could it be problems with the ageing DH1s and DH3s?

Thankfully in my case, I ended up getting on a flight to YXU instead, so no overnighting at Pearson!
codfather is online now  
Old Aug 20, 19, 10:55 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
I was supposed to fly YYZ-YZR tonight, but my flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues with the DH1. It seems that a lot of the short flights around Ontario get cancelled very frequently! Tonight alone, the flights to Kingston, Windsor, and Sarnia were all cancelled. Reliability on these flights seems absurdly low given the frequency of cancellations!

Does anybody have a clue as to why this occurs so frequently? Could it be problems with the ageing DH1s and DH3s?

Thankfully in my case, I ended up getting on a flight to YXU instead, so no overnighting at Pearson!
I have been told they are old, planned for going out of service, lots of mechanical issues and when a mechanical those airports with alternate transportation available are lowest on the list when there is rescheduling. YGK just revamped their airport and runway at great cost though why escapes me given cancellations most days and so moving probably 120 passengers a day. Given the number travelling (with Queens and RM. etc) seems likely virtually everyone goes to YUL, YOW or SYR , drives to YYZ.

It may not be true.
lallied is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 7:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Posts: 506
After my last experience flying in/out of YGK, I vowed to always take the train/ fly into YUL/YOW instead. This seemed to be the attitude of most locals and Queens students.

I'm confused as to how the intra Ontario commuter flights have historically been so unreliable whereas flying AC Express within BC is relatively dependable, unless you're flying into YCG "Cancelgar"!!
codfather likes this.
marke190 is online now  
Old Aug 21, 19, 8:17 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 263
Of course, the flight to Sarnia this morning was delayed also! I am just hoping that my flight on the way back is not delayed or my segment run will be at risk! Just need to get to YYZ...
codfather is online now  
Old Aug 21, 19, 10:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: YHZ<->YKF
Programs: AC E35K (*S), WS Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 585
While I haven't noticed an excessive number of cancelled flights myself, If you were trying to fly within Southern Ontario last night, major thunderstorms were an issue depending on the time. That would most likely explain cancellations for Windsor and Sarnia, and London. The storm moved through those areas around 10-11pm last night.
YHZ_Flyer is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 10:38 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer View Post
While I haven't noticed an excessive number of cancelled flights myself, If you were trying to fly within Southern Ontario last night, major thunderstorms were an issue depending on the time. That would most likely explain cancellations for Windsor and Sarnia, and London. The storm moved through those areas around 10-11pm last night.
@ygk_flights for eg on Twitter tracks the YGK cancellations. Some weather but lots of mechs and scheds. Usually every 2-3 days which is a lot for an airport with limited service
lallied is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:10 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 29,886
Originally Posted by marke190 View Post
After my last experience flying in/out of YGK, I vowed to always take the train/ fly into YUL/YOW instead. This seemed to be the attitude of most locals and Queens students.

I'm confused as to how the intra Ontario commuter flights have historically been so unreliable whereas flying AC Express within BC is relatively dependable, unless you're flying into YCG "Cancelgar"!!
I've only had one issue with YGK, and it was due to YYZ runway construction (or something). I haven't done it in a while, but coming from SFO, making a train connection is not even remotely as easy as flying.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:28 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I've only had one issue with YGK, and it was due to YYZ runway construction (or something). I haven't done it in a while, but coming from SFO, making a train connection is not even remotely as easy as flying.
Flying is the best for sure if the plane isnít hours delayed or cancelled. With YGK current on time rate, frequent cancellations and terrible schedule ( some days out is 5.45 or 14.30) most folk have given up at least on outbound and take a more reliable form of transport (unless it doesnít matter / lots of alternatives if misconnect) as far as I can tell. Inbound - well, havenít had less than an hour delay or cancellation all year but I personally still take the plane if it actually goes.
lallied is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 1:02 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: AC SE*100K
Posts: 1,186
This is the same reason I connect in YYZ 90% of the time and YUL 10% ... too many YOW-YUL flights are on DH1/3/4s and you've got a) mechanical issues with the ageing DH1/3s and b) small planes being the first ones to be cut when there are slot restrictions due to IRROPS (well, and c) better frequency YOW-YYZ, which is not really relevant to this discussion). As a percentage of flights, YOW-YUL is cancelled way more often than YOW-YYZ, which is all E190/A320/767.

I'm typing this on the train from YUL to YOW, FWIW ;-)
canadiancow, lallied and codfather like this.
RatherBeInYOW is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 1:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ORD/MSP
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by lallied View Post
YGK just revamped their airport and runway at great cost though why escapes me given cancellations most days and so moving probably 120 passengers a day. Given the number travelling (with Queens and RM. etc) seems likely virtually everyone goes to YUL, YOW or SYR , drives to YYZ.

It may not be true.
My elderly parents live in Kingston, and fly 2-3 times a year to destinations in the US. For them, flying out of YGK is by far the preferred option, due to convenience. Driving (or taking a bus) to YYZ is cumbersome but doable. They have also taken the train to Toronto and flown out of YTZ. Driving to YOW or SYR are preferable to YYZ; for some reason they are unwilling to drive to YUL. Now that UA flies out of OGS, that might become the next-best option to YGK going forward.
rowenb is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 3:44 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YOW
Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Posts: 699
Originally Posted by lallied View Post
I have been told they are old, planned for going out of service, lots of mechanical issues and when a mechanical those airports with alternate transportation available are lowest on the list when there is rescheduling. YGK just revamped their airport and runway at great cost though why escapes me given cancellations most days and so moving probably 120 passengers a day. Given the number travelling (with Queens and RM. etc) seems likely virtually everyone goes to YUL, YOW or SYR , drives to YYZ.

It may not be true.
I lived in YGK for a number of years until moving away to attend university in the early 2000s. To add context to this, during my time there not once did I ever know anyone who actually flew out of YGK. Driving to YYZ was the norm.
jcamp028 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 3:56 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer View Post
While I haven't noticed an excessive number of cancelled flights myself, If you were trying to fly within Southern Ontario last night, major thunderstorms were an issue depending on the time. That would most likely explain cancellations for Windsor and Sarnia, and London. The storm moved through those areas around 10-11pm last night.
I thought it must have been the weather, but the delay reason was listed as mechanical on the AC app.
codfather is online now  
Old Aug 21, 19, 3:58 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: St. John's (YYT)
Programs: AC P25K, Priority Pass, AMEX MR, UA Mileage Plus
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW View Post
This is the same reason I connect in YYZ 90% of the time and YUL 10% ... too many YOW-YUL flights are on DH1/3/4s and you've got a) mechanical issues with the ageing DH1/3s and b) small planes being the first ones to be cut when there are slot restrictions due to IRROPS (well, and c) better frequency YOW-YYZ, which is not really relevant to this discussion). As a percentage of flights, YOW-YUL is cancelled way more often than YOW-YYZ, which is all E190/A320/767.

I'm typing this on the train from YUL to YOW, FWIW ;-)
I am flying YUL-YOW on the 26th. I'm thankfully on an A320 (but they have seen better days also lol).
codfather is online now  
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:00 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 29,886
Originally Posted by jcamp028 View Post
I lived in YGK for a number of years until moving away to attend university in the early 2000s. To add context to this, during my time there not once did I ever know anyone who actually flew out of YGK. Driving to YYZ was the norm.
Given fares I've seen on YGK compared to YYZ, I can appreciate that. I've only ever flown on flight passes and Aeroplan.

Cheapest SFO-YYZ base fares are 326 / 731 / 855 CAD, one way, for Y/PY/J.
Cheapest SFO-YGK base fares are 472 / N/A / 1324 (no PY fares at all).

So in Y, it's debatable whether a flight, UPX, and VIA are worth it, given the hassle. But maybe. For J, you could probably take a limo for that difference.

And this fare difference is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than I expected, given what it was last time I looked it up (I seem to recall them not even having a published fare for SFO-YGK at one point, meaning you'd have to combine).
codfather, marke190 and lallied like this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 4:19 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YOW
Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Posts: 699
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Given fares I've seen on YGK compared to YYZ, I can appreciate that. I've only ever flown on flight passes and Aeroplan.

Cheapest SFO-YYZ base fares are 326 / 731 / 855 CAD, one way, for Y/PY/J.
Cheapest SFO-YGK base fares are 472 / N/A / 1324 (no PY fares at all).

So in Y, it's debatable whether a flight, UPX, and VIA are worth it, given the hassle. But maybe. For J, you could probably take a limo for that difference.

And this fare difference is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than I expected, given what it was last time I looked it up (I seem to recall them not even having a published fare for SFO-YGK at one point, meaning you'd have to combine).
Some of my high school friends and their families did just that back then for their winter vacations down south. Took a limo to YYZ.
jcamp028 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread