Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Black Elite member unable to access lounge or use priority boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Black Elite member unable to access lounge or use priority boarding

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I know that most people who are in this forum on a regular basis have a good handle on Aeroplan vs. Altitude.

But this thread reminds me of just how confusing this system is for those flyers who are not looking at this stuff every day...

The complexity even hampers our ability to explain it in simple terms.

Last edited by Plumber; Aug 12, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
It is not that complex. Well, maybe more complex than it needs to be, but still.

You can credit to Aeroplan for flying, spending with a credit card, with purchases from affiliated companies, etc. Your Aeroplan account has a balance, and has status (Silver, Black, Diamond ... or wherever it is) depending on how many miles you earn.

On top of that, miles that you credit to Aeroplan that you earn with with your ... in the seat of a Air Canada or Star Alliance partner flight also get counted towards a second status called Altitude with P25 / E35/50/75 / SE100 levels. When in an airport or on a plane your Aeroplan status is meaningless, Air Canada or Star Alliance partner airlines only care about your Altitude status.

(Technically it is more complex than what I just wrote, but that is irrelevant for most people)

As has been pointed out, the OPs friend is simply looking at the wrong website.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
A little bit of a tangent but since we’re talking Altitude requirements etc., is there still a requirement for a minimum number of miles to be on AC metal (I think it used to be 50%) to achieve status or is this replaced by AQD now?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by colombianbrew
A little bit of a tangent but since we’re talking Altitude requirements etc., is there still a requirement for a minimum number of miles to be on AC metal (I think it used to be 50%) to achieve status or is this replaced by AQD now?
AQD now

If you look on the dashboard

AQM or AQS + AQD = status
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:10 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
popcorn time shortly
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just wait until July 2020 to answer your friend's questions. At that point Aeroplan Distinctive will disappear and there should likely only be one set of Elite tiers.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
When I read the first post, I thought "this should be fun"...and it has been
canadiancow and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:54 pm

Can we just summarize it for OP easily?

-- $$$'s you spend to Aeroplan, on anything other than flights, are meaningless for Air Canada Altitude status
-- miles you fly on Air Canada are meaningful for Air Canada Altitude Status
- Air Canada Altitude status, depending on level, gets you lounges and other stuff.

In essence, you fly, you status-ice. You spend without flying, you don't.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I guess that makes me a Million Miler

As has been stated, "Black" means nothing for Air Canada. You're confusing Aeroplan status with Air Canada (Altitude) status. The latter is all that matters for flying perks.
Twice over every three years!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
I don't have anything to help the OP, but this reminds me of the time last fall when I was waiting to get in at YVR domestic MLL, behind a well-dressed couple in their late 60's or early 70's. The wife was huffing at the attendant that "This is ridiculous! My husband has DIAMOND status with this credit card, and yet you won't let us into the lounge? I'm going to call someone. I want to talk to your supervisor. This is ridiculous. MY HUSBAND IS DIAMOND!"

The attendant firmly but nicely moved them off to the side and processed the rest of us into the lounge. I don't know the outcome, but the couple never did come into the lounge.
Plumber, Dolphin2 and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
OP, to earn E50K (equivalent of *G), your friend needs:

1a) 50K AQM - 50,000 qualifying miles; not necessarily 50K miles flown (50K BIS)
or 1b) 50K AQS - 50 qualifying segments

and

2) 3,000 AQD - qualifying spend of 3K CAD (50% less for non-Canadian residents)

Here is a good oveview with a nice chart: https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/overview
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Again, it is important that these folks understand that those earnings need to be all in one year, and lasts for the following year and then has to be earned again.
I think that is an underlying misunderstanding because people have 50K miles "in the bank" but it's from multiple years of accumulation, not all in the same year.
mapleg and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Again, it is important that these folks understand that those earnings need to be all in one year, and lasts for the following year and then has to be earned again.
I think that is an underlying misunderstanding because people have 50K miles "in the bank" but it's from multiple years of accumulation, not all in the same year.
If they have Aeroplan Black they are hitting the 50K miles per year (likely through CC spend) It's the Aeroplan vs Altitude status that is confusing. The new program will eliminate the two separate statuses, but redeemable/reward miles vs status miles will still cause lots of confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.