Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CRJ-900 (CR9) seating and carry-on baggage information (2019 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC has four distinct batches of CR9s which have significant differences in overhead bins and other amenities:
  • FINs 701-716
    • Originally built as CRJ-705s (CRJ-900s that were limited to 75 seats to comply with AC's scope clause) in the mid-2000s
    • Bins: they do fit a regulation-sized roll-aboard, but are very tight and crappy; 2 closets in J, 1 in Y
    • WiFi: yes
    • IFE: yes (very old XM system)
    • Outlets: 3 pronged outlets in J, one per pair of Y seats to row 16
  • FINs 717-721
    • New build "Next Gen" aircraft delivered 2017
    • Bins: slightly better than the old bins, but not great; smaller closet in J
    • WiFi: yes
    • IFE: yes (very old XM system)
    • Outlets: 3 pronged outlets in J, one per pair of Y seats to row 16
  • FINs 722-730
    • New build aircraft with Atmosphere cabin delivered 2020-21
    • Overhead bins: larger overhead bins, including wheels first in J, very small closet In J
    • WiFi: no
    • IFE: no
    • Outlets: 3 pronged outlets + USB every J seat and 1 per pair in Y
  • FINs 780-784
    • Original CRJ-900s delivered to SkyWest (for Delta) in mid-2000s
    • Bins: they do fit a regulation-sized roll-aboard, but are very tight and crappy; next to no closet space in J
    • WiFi: maybe - previously was available, recent reports suggest it may be disabled on most or all
    • IFE: no
    • Outlets: 3 pronged outlets + USB every J seat and 1 per pair in Y
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly

Hi all,
I have an upcoming flight in the AC CRJ-900 and since this is part of a long haul premium economy leg, i am able to select the bulkhead seats for free. One question I have (and seatguru does not seem to have a conclusive answer here) is that are the bulkhead seats 12 D/F restricted in leg room due to the partition/divider? Usually on CRJ-900 of other airlines, the divider is not all the way to the ground (its usually either a curtain or a partial divider that has an opening at the bottom so you can put your bag and stretch your legs but seatguru seems to indicate there is restricted leg room, however there are no confirmed pics or reviews.

Can anyone who has been on one of these CRJ9's provide some insight.

thanks in advance

Moderator note: posts up to mid-2022 carved out from long-running thread on the reconfiguration of the old CRJ-705 fleet; a couple of other short threads with seating and baggage information were also combined with this one - Adam Smith, AC Forum Moderator​​​​​​

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 31, 2022 at 3:14 pm Reason: Add moderator note
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by arshi007
Hi all,
I have an upcoming flight in the AC CRJ-900 and since this is part of a long haul premium economy leg, i am able to select the bulkhead seats for free. One question I have (and seatguru does not seem to have a conclusive answer here) is that are the bulkhead seats 12 D/F restricted in leg room due to the partition/divider? Usually on CRJ-900 of other airlines, the divider is not all the way to the ground (its usually either a curtain or a partial divider that has an opening at the bottom so you can put your bag and stretch your legs but seatguru seems to indicate there is restricted leg room, however there are no confirmed pics or reviews.

Can anyone who has been on one of these CRJ9's provide some insight.

thanks in advance
@arshi007

12D has ample legroom, from experience, but I'm not tall.

Also, others feel the same with respect to legroom:
CR9 Seating chart, JAZZ

Also, the master wiki thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-progress.html
arshi007 likes this.

Last edited by yyznomad; Jan 7, 2019 at 11:22 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Thumbs up Answered

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@arshi007

12D has ample legroom, from experience, but I'm not tall.

Also, others feel the same with respect to legroom:
CR9 Seating chart, JAZZ

Also, the master wiki thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-progress.html
@yyznomad, thanks a lot for the reply and the links to the threads. I searched for CRJ-900 and CRJ9 but not for cr9. That pretty much answers my question.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by arshi007
@yyznomad, thanks a lot for the reply and the links to the threads. I searched for CRJ-900 and CRJ9 but not for cr9. That pretty much answers my question.
No problem. And yes, I figured that was your train of thought.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM

In the 12-seat CRA J cabin, does anyone remember what seats have the AVOD box intruding into the foot space? Is it the aisle-side seats? Want maximum space for the support boa constrictor.
Thanks.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 31, 2022 at 3:14 pm Reason: Move moderator note upthread after merge
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I will be flying YVR to ORD in J. Will there be room for my rollaboard?

I rarely fly AC and I have found DL CRJ 900 to accommodate my bag but UA CRJ 700s and 900s do not, thus requiring a gate check.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:52 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I will be flying YVR to ORD in J. Will there be room for my rollaboard?

I rarely fly AC and I have found DL CRJ 900 to accommodate my bag but UA CRJ 700s and 900s do not, thus requiring a gate check.
When AC re-configured the CRAs and made them CR9s, they added a second large closet up front to store bags. I don't ever remember being required to check my roll-aboard in J before that, and certainly it's not required now. Although many FAs don't seem to understand how to load it properly and sometimes a bit of Tetris is required to get things to fit.

Also note that AC does gate check slightly differently than US airlines. On UA and DL's CRx planes (although I don't believe UA has CR9s, only CR7s and CRJs), it's standard to check bags on the jetbridge and return them on the jetbridge at arrival. AC refers to this as "sky check" and typically only offers it on short flights on smaller planes, e.g. DH3 YCD-YVR, DH4 YTZ-YUL, etc. It's rarely, if ever, offered on a CR9. When AC refers to "gate check", they are talking about checking your bag to its final destination, to be picked up at the baggage carousel with regular checked luggage.

That won't be an issue for you flying J on the CR9, but for reference just in case it's applicable on another flight
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
When AC re-configured the CRAs and made them CR9s, they added a second large closet up front to store bags. I don't ever remember being required to check my roll-aboard in J before that, and certainly it's not required now. Although many FAs don't seem to understand how to load it properly and sometimes a bit of Tetris is required to get things to fit.

Also note that AC does gate check slightly differently than US airlines. On UA and DL's CRx planes (although I don't believe UA has CR9s, only CR7s and CRJs), it's standard to check bags on the jetbridge and return them on the jetbridge at arrival. AC refers to this as "sky check" and typically only offers it on short flights on smaller planes, e.g. DH3 YCD-YVR, DH4 YTZ-YUL, etc. It's rarely, if ever, offered on a CR9. When AC refers to "gate check", they are talking about checking your bag to its final destination, to be picked up at the baggage carousel with regular checked luggage.

That won't be an issue for you flying J on the CR9, but for reference just in case it's applicable on another flight
Thank you, this is very helpful info!
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Sitting on FIN 781 right now. No wifi and no IFE. I had no idea they had any jets in the fleet without IFE.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by YVR72
Sitting on FIN 781 right now. No wifi and no IFE. I had no idea they had any jets in the fleet without IFE.
Fin 781 and Fin 782 which is just entering service are ex Skywest birds and still have the Skywest seats. No wifi or IFE as well.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer

Fin 781 and Fin 782 which is just entering service are ex Skywest birds and still have the Skywest seats. No wifi or IFE as well.
Will they eventually be retrofitted with wifi and the regular seats with IFE?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by marke190
Will they eventually be retrofitted with wifi and the regular seats with IFE?
I would assume after the 7M8 is back in service.

They just can't afford to take any other planes out of service right now.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer

Other complaints... tiny cupboard upfront - holds like two rollaboards.

The small port-side overheads are locked - on other CR9s, they are perfect for my mini laptop carrying case.

There is no curtain between J and Y so lots of traffic to the lav.

Cabin crew service was great though the menu distributed was not what was served. (Ordered ravioli, was served lasagna).
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:01 pm

CRJ 900 overhead bin questions

My family member will travel on CRJ 900 from SFO to YVR soon. He just found out that it's on a CRJ 900. He has a ton of medical equipment that cannot be gate-checked. He will travel on Biz class. I know that the OHBs over the A rows are useless, but what about those over the DF rows? Will they fit a standard carry-on roller? I have done online searches: some said yes, and some said no.

I guess he can also ask the FAs to use their closet, but there's no guarantee.

He is in a panic mode because he cannot afford to damage his medical stuff--he will be on a month-long vacation overseas and therefore is carrying all he will need on board.

Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Put a call into the medical desk. Generally, they are obligated to deal with medical hardware, not that they would not at the gate, but your friend might get early boarding or something to secure bin/closet space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.