Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Dumb question about credit card reward on an aeroplan booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Dumb question about credit card reward on an aeroplan booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Dumb question about credit card reward on an aeroplan booking

hi everyone,
I just booked an aeroplan flight reward but I used a basic credit card to pay the taxes/fees. The flight reward does not include free baggage.

My “premium” credit card allows one free checked bag and a few other perks that I’d like to take advantage of on my trip. Did I have to actually use the “premium” credit card to pay for the taxes? My thinking is maybe not because technically I could have used points to pay for the taxes.

the booklet states “as the primary cardholder you will receive the following benefits when you travel on flights operated by Air Canada” it doesn’t say when you pay for your flight or expenses associated with it using your credit card. But maybe that’s supposed to be obvious and they didn’t think it was necessary to explicitly say that.

I would call visa but I dont like talking on the phone with their reps because they’ve given me the wrong info on more than one occasion and I trust you guys more. Plus I miss the online interaction with you all.

thanks for any advice
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Not sure which care you have but my TD AP Visa gives me the same benefit and I've paid for the taxes with my AMEX and still got my one free checked bag before.
koriana likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I think a lot of these rewards are interpreted by people at the check-in desk, not encoded into the ticket. If you are OK with paying the fees if you have too, just try and play dumb.
koriana and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
As stated above, playing dum is understated, as playing dumb or just play simple does go a long way!

When you check in the agent has a screen with the actual pictures of all of the valid credit cards they accept for the free bag and priority check in. Your boarding pass (BP) will have CC on it to show credit card priority boarding. Same goes for the Maple Leaf Lounges (MLL) the agents have actual pictures on their screens as to avoid confusion and delays. They do have the discretion to let you in depending on how busy they may be at the time if you have the wrong card. Others will disagree but just roll with it.

You already made the transaction, can't go back, so focus on moving forward with the knowledge you will gain from now to the time of departure

Good luck and have a fun flight
koriana and Dolphin2 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I don’t think I have to play dumb if I can’t even remember to use the correct credit card.

I think they are able to enforce the rule that only the primary cardholder can get the free bag it would mean that the agent must have more information.

Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by koriana
hi everyone,
I just booked an aeroplan flight reward but I used a basic credit card to pay the taxes/fees. The flight reward does not include free baggage.

My “premium” credit card allows one free checked bag and a few other perks that I’d like to take advantage of on my trip. Did I have to actually use the “premium” credit card to pay for the taxes? My thinking is maybe not because technically I could have used points to pay for the taxes.

the booklet states “as the primary cardholder you will receive the following benefits when you travel on flights operated by Air Canada” it doesn’t say when you pay for your flight or expenses associated with it using your credit card. But maybe that’s supposed to be obvious and they didn’t think it was necessary to explicitly say that.

I would call visa but I dont like talking on the phone with their reps because they’ve given me the wrong info on more than one occasion and I trust you guys more. Plus I miss the online interaction with you all.

thanks for any advice
OP Which credit card do you have? I know that for the TD Aeroplan Infinite Cards, you will get those Aeroplan flight benefits so long as you are a card holder. Since the card is linked to your Aeroplan number (eg. when you purchase something, the points will automatically credit to your account), the benefits associated to the card will automatically be linked to your Aeroplan number. Make sure that you include your Aeroplan number on your reservation though! :P
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Wait... what Aeroplan tickets don't include luggage??
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by The YVR Guy
OP Which credit card do you have? I know that for the TD Aeroplan Infinite Cards, you will get those Aeroplan flight benefits so long as you are a card holder. Since the card is linked to your Aeroplan number (eg. when you purchase something, the points will automatically credit to your account), the benefits associated to the card will automatically be linked to your Aeroplan number. Make sure that you include your Aeroplan number on your reservation though! :P
Same with the CIBC cards. You get the benefits by being a cardholder, there is no requirement to use the card to pay for the taxes/fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.