Change in class

Old Jul 31, 19, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Change in class

I received a notice of change on Air Canada flight from Thunder Bay to Rome for September. There was an equipment change which means I’ve been changed from business class to economy on the flight from yqt to yyz. They’ve said they are going to refund some preferred seat charges I had made but nothing yet. Does anyone know how long this usually takes? Should I try to get a refund for the difference in class change instead? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 31, 19, 8:18 am

they probably had you booked on a a319 prior and switched the aircraft to a crj900 and kicked your seat back to economy. try calling them and asking to seat you back in business as i doubt the business class seats are full. is this a paid fare or on points?
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThePopes View Post
they probably had you booked on a a319 prior and switched the aircraft to a crj900 and kicked your seat back to economy. try calling them and asking to seat you back in business as i doubt the business class seats are full. is this a paid fare or on points?
They changed to a 321 on rouge. There isn’t business or premium class on this plane. It is a paid fare.
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you change your flights in order to get you a schedule that has business class on every segment?
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:22 am

Programs: Altitude E35K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Can you change your flights in order to get you a schedule that has business class on every segment?
This is what I would do - however the OP may have limited options out of YQT.
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dr_torch View Post
This is what I would do - however the OP may have limited options out of YQT.
<div style="text-align:left;">Unfortunately that is the only flight that has one connection to Rome </div>
Old Jul 31, 19, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
There's literally another thread somewhere about this exact issue. Figure out what an economy fare would have cost, then after travel, you can ask for a pro-rated refund of the difference based on distance.

I don't know if it will work, but it's what I would do.

Also make sure they stick you in preferred seats at no cost on that flight.
Old Jul 31, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
OP likely got rebooked in Y and could self serve into a PREF via the website. Avoid the 30m wait time...
Old Aug 1, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Jeanette Horvath View Post
There was an equipment change which means I’ve been changed from business class to economy on the flight from yqt to yyz. They’ve said they are going to refund some preferred seat charges I had made but nothing yet.
If you were originally in business class all the way, how and why were there " preferred seat charges" to start with?
that does not make any sense.
Old Aug 1, 19, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
If you were originally in business class all the way, how and why were there " preferred seat charges" to start with?
that does not make any sense.
P fares tend to book into M for all-Y cabins, which does not give you a free preferred seat.
Old Aug 1, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
P fares tend to book into M for all-Y cabins, which does not give you a free preferred seat.
I read it as the seat charges being applied on the original ( all-business) itinerary.
Old Aug 1, 19, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
I read it as the seat charges being applied on the original ( all-business) itinerary.
So did I, but that makes no sense

Search this Thread