Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Amazing new benefits for Basic AP members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

1. Get to use same security line as SEs, Es, and business class passengers.

2. Not allowed to use either SE line or other "priority" lines.

3. No opportunity to use MLL toilets.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
1. Get to use same security line as SEs, Es, and business class passengers.

Since when did basic AP members get to use Fasttrack?
Old Jul 17, 2003, 5:17 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

In case you haven't noticed. no more fast track at YVR except for domestic during 'regular business hours'.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:53 am
Original Poster

I was told last week by several people that there is no more domestic Fastrack, at all.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 1:00 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Nooo! I haven't made a trip since early June.

[This message has been edited by Braindrain (edited 07-18-2003).]
Old Jul 18, 2003, 1:04 am

Domestic fasttrack still around at YVR.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 2:51 am

Another step towards rev based UPG's...

Ahhh...another enhanced SE benefit
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:07 am
Original Poster

And further additional benefits for Basic and lower tier members:

4. No preboarding so you can avoid scorching hot airplanes.

5. Same level of baggage handling priority as SEs.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
5. Same level of baggage handling priority as SEs.</font>
...and being environmentally-friendly by not having to use those orange flags. Either way, they get lost and aren't handled as there are no more baggage handlers left.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:35 am
Original Poster

In case you hadn't figured it out, I took a flight on AC yesterday. I presume it's the first flight I've taken where the full effects of the elimination of excess staff* were evident.

No YVR Fastrack domestic line, but it was Saturday morning. Nevertheless, the line up was ~30 minutes. It stretched aways down the consourse. (And wasn't helped by the "silly season" of wide-eyed tourists who really slowed the line down.)

The usual inordinate wait for trans-border connecting luggage at YYZ, but INSPASS was working (sort of) so no problems with the equally inordinate lines for INS.

Lightning quick baggage delivery at MKE.

Lightning quick same-day standby check-in at MKE. But because of customs and immigration issues, I would have to check-in for stand-by on the YYZ-YVR flight as well.

SE line at YYZ domestic open. Open, but not manned. After standing in line for a few minutes I motioned to the single agent working the area to ask about whether someone would be coming to the SE counter. Apparently not. She was the only one working the priority section that Thursday afternoon.

I joined the regular priority line, now as #14 (#15, if you count the person she was currently assisting) since several people had joined that line while I was furtively waiting in the SE line.

The line grew and grew, at one time being over 20 people long, including at least 5 SEs. During my 34 minute wait in that line (on top of the 10 or so minute myself and another SE wasted in the SE line) pretty much everyone in the line was expressing their disgust in different ways. Several left for the non-status lines, to take their chances with the masses. One guy, apparently in a hurry, headed for T3, to see if there was anyone there (WS?) who could get him on his way. The rest of us just shook our heads.

After the 34 minute wait, another agent showed up to man the SE counter. (The original agent had phoned for assistance while I was still in the SE line the first time.) 'Course in the meantime, 3 more SE's had come to the SE line. The chose to ignore, perhaps wisely, the admonishments of myself and and the other SE behind be, and remained in the SE line. Nevertheless, they were good enough to let the two of us go to the front of the line. Total time to check in (at the "SE" counter): just over one hour. Had I not been doing the standby thing, I would most likely have gone to either a kiosk (which I'm not sure would have worked given the difficulty every agent along the way had in finding my rez) or to the regular lines. I don't imagine they could have been any worse.

After the long check-in (and dealing with the ultra-slo-mo and equally dense "security" screeners) I had but a few minutes in the lounge. I was at the boarding gate at 36 minutes prior to scheduled departure, but of course boarding still didn't start until less than 30 minutes prior.

Joining the pre-board crowd, I entered a scorching hot cabin. Seems all of my recent trips have started this way. Are they "saving money" by delaying the startup of APUs and Air Con?

Arriving at YVR, we, all of us, waited forever for bags to show up. It would appear that in the time we were waiting for the baggage carousel to start, a WestJet plane landed, deboarded, off loaded all the baggage, and had all their passengers on their way.

I don't think there are that many WS planes landing at 7:45pm on a Thursday night. I saw one coming up to a gate as I was just getting off the plane. After dropping into the lounge to use the toilet, make some phone calls, down an can of apple juice, and discover that the internet was "down, I proceeded to the baggage area just in time to start hearing WS announcements. While waiting for our luggage, the WS luggage arrived, was quickly claimed, and in what seemed like no time, the WS carousel was vacated.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we're still waiting. Eventually the bags start arriving, but as usual, there's no order to them in terms of priority tags. As well, they come in "chunks" -- a load of bags, then another wait. Another load of bags, then another wait, and so on. My bag was at the head of the third load, priority tag and all. It seemed every load had several priority tags randomly scattered throughout the load.

For my scheduled 7:15pm landing (7:47pm actual) I was at the rental car counter at about 8:40pm, which runs the baggage wait out to approaching 1 hour.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Flights were fine.

Ground staff was fine as well, but to a person, the looked shell shocked and worn. Some had the sunken eyes of extreme tiredness, others seemed just plain weary.

I'm pretty certain the ultra-slow service, as well of the worn looks, are a result of the staff cutbacks. The employees are doing what they can, but they are still just human.

For example, the check-in agent at the "priority" counter was working as quickly as possible. But when only one agent is taking care of lots of demanding customers who require special handling (i.e. my stand-by check-in) you can't help but have long line ups. And those long lines generated a degree of mass disgust that I haven't seen around and AC counter in quite some time. Not since before the "135 day commitment" in fact.

Likewise around the baggage carousel, though there was no easy way to tell SE from non-SE. Everyone comiserated, and everyone looked around bewilderedly, wondering if we really were at the right carousel.

So if this is the future with optimized staffing levels, then it would seem that AC will be burning bridge after bridge, particularly with their premium customers, until the new reduced staff levels are appropriate for the new reduced passenger levels.

*excess staff -- any non-management AC employee.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 11:44 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">...and being environmentally-friendly by not having to use those orange flags.</font>
Oh no, you still get the orange flag. They just don't mean anything anymore.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
...and being environmentally-friendly by not having to use those orange flags.</font>
Oh no, you still get the orange flag. They just don't mean anything anymore.
I meant for the non-status members...
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:35 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
6. Same staff answering the phones as for SE and E members, only as a bonus you get more time to listen to the elevator music and announcements.

[This message has been edited by CanuckFlyer (edited 07-18-2003).]
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:36 pm

No YVR Fastrack domestic line, but it was Saturday morning.</font>
There you go; Fast track only on Mon-Fri during business hours.

CanuckFlyer - SEs still get their own desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.