Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A Creative New Way to Miss a Connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

302 from YVR de-planes at gate 58. We go up the escalator and the doors to terminal are locked. Firstly we are terribly crammed at the top of the escalator as people keep funneling in and there’s no way out.

AC agents are all phoning people with confusion as we wait and wait. Eventually we are told we are at the wrong gate and must get back on the aircraft.

Presently listening to captain explain that we will have to get off out the port-side rear door. That’s all I know right now and will update the story as it unfolds.

Lots of very anxious people who have/had tight connections.

Will AC post this as an on time arrival?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
302 from YVR de-planes at gate 58. We go up the escalator and the doors to terminal are locked. Firstly we are terribly crammed at the top of the escalator as people keep funneling in and there’s no way out.

AC agents are all phoning people with confusion as we wait and wait. Eventually we are told we are at the wrong gate and must get back on the aircraft.

Presently listening to captain explain that we will have to get off out the port-side rear door. That’s all I know right now and will update the story as it unfolds.

Lots of very anxious people who have/had tight connections.

Will AC post this as an on time arrival?
Have a fun COBUS IAD-like-mobile-lounge ride to the domestic side.

And yes, it's showing as "10 minutes early"
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

I missed the cut and now have to wait for the third trip (as do all J pax). Some seriously unhappy people. Like me. Lost my chance to go outside and have a few cigarettes.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I missed the cut and now have to wait for the third trip (as do all J pax). Some seriously unhappy people. Like me. Lost my chance to go outside and have a few cigarettes.

Aren't they using those large white lounge mobiles similar to the ones at IAD? I've used them deplaning from the rear at YUL before. Are they forcing everyone onto dinky COBUS 3000s and only bringing one or two in at a time?

Added: I guess the concierge put you up at the YUL Marriott (assuming you were supposed to be on AC870)?

Last edited by yyznomad; Jun 1, 2019 at 7:11 pm
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Ouch. J being deplaned last.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Wow. I've certainly had a locked door on arrival a few times (YVR and SFO come to mind), but I've never been forced back on the plane. That must really suck.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Ouch. J being deplaned last.
Reminds me of an AC33 a few years ago when they opened the wrong door at YVR. The entire J cabin walked off the plane and into the international side of the terminal... then they realized their mistake and let the Y cabin out into the domestic side.

We ended up with an AC Concierge and supervisors from CBSA and airport security huddling for about 10 minutes before saying "you guys all came from Toronto right? ok you're free to go".

By the time we got to the luggage carousel the only bags left were the ones with priority tags.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Aren't they using those large white lounge mobiles similar to the ones at IAD? I've used them deplaning from the rear at YUL before. Are they forcing everyone onto dinky COBUS 3000s and only bringing one or two in at a time?

Added: I guess the concierge put you up at the YUL Marriott (assuming you were supposed to be on AC870)?
870 left an hour late with me happily on it. I admit the thread title is misleading, though I know some connections were missed.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

870 left an hour late with me happily on it. I admit the thread title is misleading, though I know some connections were missed.
@WaytoomuchEurope

How dare you!

Question: Did you deplane onto the tarmac and board a COBUS, or did you deplane directly onto a mobile lounge (similar to the white ones that have been used at IAD since forever)?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada 35K
May 24 I arrived at YVR from MEL. The doors weren't opened correctly so we had to wait on the plane for about 10min. I had a tight connection and I'm glad I made it. I was sweating though. It was a Friday afternoon and I just wanted to get back home after coming off a 15hr flight.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by cperciva
Reminds me of an AC33 a few years ago when they opened the wrong door at YVR. The entire J cabin walked off the plane and into the international side of the terminal... then they realized their mistake and let the Y cabin out into the domestic side.

We ended up with an AC Concierge and supervisors from CBSA and airport security huddling for about 10 minutes before saying "you guys all came from Toronto right? ok you're free to go".

By the time we got to the luggage carousel the only bags left were the ones with priority tags.
Still not as bad as AC133 from YYC-YYZ in 2012 when they opened the wrong doors and funneled us back through international.... CBSA was pissed off big time. Half our flight didn't have passports and they were livid. AC didn't even realize their mistake and we still had to go through customs, and then come back in to the domestic luggage. By the time most of us got to our bags it was 90 mins after deplaning. (Already arriving at midnight).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Still not as bad as AC133 from YYC-YYZ in 2012 when they opened the wrong doors and funneled us back through international.... CBSA was pissed off big time. Half our flight didn't have passports and they were livid. AC didn't even realize their mistake and we still had to go through customs, and then come back in to the domestic luggage. By the time most of us got to our bags it was 90 mins after deplaning. (Already arriving at midnight).
Did you notice? AFAIK, all international arrivals at YYZ require going up an escalator fairly soon after getting off the plane, and I don't think that's the case for any domestic arrivals (other than the small gates).

Though I'm not sure they'd let you back if you had a chance to mingle with other international arrivals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.