Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A 2nd SYD flight to be added (?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2003, 9:26 am

Programs: LH, BA, KE
Would there ever be a market for a stop in Papaete, Tahiti? Lots of California-Australia/NZ flights used to stop there - QF, AF, UT, NZ.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Airbus330:
Would there ever be a market for a stop in Papaete, Tahiti? Lots of California-Australia/NZ flights used to stop there - QF, AF, UT, NZ.</font>
Well, it'll probably be a vacation destination more suited to a leisure carrier (perfect one for 2T - did they serve PPT?) UT and subsequently AF served it for colonial legacy reasons. I would guess QF and NZ used it partially for fuel stop reasons in the past. QF currently doesn't serve a wide swarth of the S.W. quadrant of the Pacific outside its territory, New Zealand proper and HNL and prefers to codeshare on FJ among others.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 4:44 pm

AC could pick up a lot of YYZ passengers if they flew YVR-SYD nonstop. A connection in YVR is much more convenient than changing planes in LAX and dealing with US customs, and probably faster even though the distance is longer.

But right now, YYZ-LAX-SYD is faster and more convenient than YYZ-YVR-HNL-SYD. And you don't get your sleep interrupted flying through LAX.

What about range? What kind of load restrictions would AC need to fly any of their planes YVR-SYD?
Old Jun 27, 2003, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StuMcIlwain:
But right now, YYZ-LAX-SYD is faster and more convenient than YYZ-YVR-HNL-SYD. And you don't get your sleep interrupted flying through LAX.
</font>
Exactly as I noted earlier. Will be enjoying QF's FC LAX-SYD and MEL-LAX for 14 hours each way next month.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Airbus330:
Would there ever be a market for a stop in Papaete, Tahiti? Lots of California-Australia/NZ flights used to stop there - QF, AF, UT, NZ.</font>
The only one good grace PPT has is although it's a leisure destination, it is a high yield leisure destination. I don't think a YYZ-PPT-SYD would work, however a YUL-PPT-SYD could be worth exploring further for 2 obvious reasons - the Quebecois factor and the "easy to the east" solution. (There is also no non-stop ex Oz to PPT to help that part of the equation). The only question is, how many Easterners would choose to connect through YUL over YVR, if such a proposal ever saw the light of day, even with the frequent Rapidair from YYZ and YOW to YUL? Would there be enough through traffic at YUL and PPT to make it viable? It certainly couldn't be a daily, or at least I wouldn't think it would be able to cope with a daily, but a 3 or 4 x weekly could be a bit of a goer.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Al B:
even with the frequent Rapidair from YYZ and YOW to YUL?</font>
Rapidair is only YUL / YOW and YYZ. Service between YUL and YOW is quite limited -- and rightfully so as it's only used for CNX (no one in their right mind would fly YOW-YUL when it's slightly over an hour and a half by car).
Old Jul 6, 2003, 8:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Would Qantas ever consider re-initiating its service between Vancouver and Australia?
Old Jul 6, 2003, 8:36 pm

The talk in SYD is an extra flight 4 times a week,
Old Jul 6, 2003, 8:48 pm

Programs: several
The second time around, when QF came back to YVR in late 1999, loads were not bad - 767-300 over HNL, but QF dropped Canada & China together in early 2001, when their finances were tight, so I guess it depends on anticipated loads & how the 'bottom line' is.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
A stop in Samoa would be cool though! Apia?

</font>
Any stop that doesn't involve HNL U.S. immigration and customs bureaucracy would be more than welcome in the present security climate.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 2:59 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Al B - From this side of the world, I've been told that those 4 extra flights are confirmed as a go (using 763s). Any word from your side? Over to you...

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 07-08-2003).]
Old Jul 8, 2003, 7:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan E
Empress,
Any planned start date for this service and any schedules for them?
Old Jul 8, 2003, 2:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jral:
The second time around, when QF came back to YVR in late 1999, loads were not bad - 767-300 over HNL, but QF dropped Canada & China together in early 2001, when their finances were tight, so I guess it depends on anticipated loads & how the 'bottom line' is.</font>
QF codeshares with AS. YVR-LAX-SYD

Old Jul 8, 2003, 11:01 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AC_flyer:
Empress,
Any planned start date for this service and any schedules for them?
</font>
Start date should be Oct 26. As I posted above on June 26, it will go thru NAN (Fuji). Operated with 763. I don't have the schedules here. Hopefully AC will decide to make this public soon.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 11:42 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
So, to clarify, the flights will be YVR-NAN-SYD and vice versa? Will the YVR-NAN and NAN-SYD be able to be booked separately? These could also provide an alternative route for flying NZ to Canada: AKL-(NZ)-NAN-(AC)-YVR instead of AKL-(NZ)-HNL-(AC)-YVR - would avoid the hassle of US Customs & Immigration!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.