Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Multi-stop trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Multi-stop trip

I am a long time Aeroplan point collector and very infrequent redeemer!

I am interested in using my points for a trip to Africa from Canada. Someting like: Toronto-Nairobi-Kilimanjaro-Dar Es Salaam- Toronto. Would this be considered one trip (i.e 100k point requirement) or should I be thinking of using my points for the long-haul legs and then buying the short-haul flights separately?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Aeroplan rewards allow 2 stopovers plus your point of return OR one stopover and one open jaw. There are some other restrictions based on maximum permitted mileage.

Only you can book a reward with ONE stopover. To get 2 you need to call. There also need to be Star Alliance airlines operating those routes with space available.

If there are *A airlines with connections then 100,000 in economy or 150,000 in business (WAY better value in my opinion). The trick here is probably finding airlines that have low YQ.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Amit Bhagat
I am a long time Aeroplan point collector and very infrequent redeemer!

I am interested in using my points for a trip to Africa from Canada. Someting like: Toronto-Nairobi-Kilimanjaro-Dar Es Salaam- Toronto. Would this be considered one trip (i.e 100k point requirement) or should I be thinking of using my points for the long-haul legs and then buying the short-haul flights separately?
You can have 2 stops in addition to a destination or "point of turnaround" (so 3 stops) in a roundtrip itinerary. One of the stop can be an open-jaw at departure or destination, each side being in the same "region". However, it will be difficult to book this particular itinerary as the intra-Africa legs would have to be on South African Airways (via JNB) or Ethiopian (via ADD).

I would consider a open-jaw + 1 segment that you book yourself
Canada-Stop A
Stop A-Stop B (destination)
Paid segment between B and C
Stop C- Canada

You will have to call to book (and pay booking fees)

Please see Mini RTW threads for more info
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks. That’s all very helpful.

Just so I understand correctly... all the stops need to be in the same “region” as defined by Aeroplan?

So if my destination is in Africa... then any stops also need to be in Africa?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:40 pm

No, you stop can be at any permitted connection point, depending on your routing. Between Canada and Africa you could have stops in Canada (ie if starting in yvr, then yyz could be a stop), USA, Europe, or Africa.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by YEG USER
No, you stop can be at any permitted connection point, depending on your routing. Between Canada and Africa you could have stops in Canada (ie if starting in yvr, then yyz could be a stop), USA, Europe, or Africa.
And Asia on the return.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AC
*A connections between NBO, JRO and DAR will involve long detours to JNB, ADD, CAI or IST. You're better off just booking the local flights separately between them, and save your Aeroplan redemption for YYZ-NBO, DAR-YYZ (and throw in a stop over in Europe at the same time).
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Amit, with the OP being your first, welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.