Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Is this Itinerary Possible with Aeorplan?

Question: Is this Itinerary Possible with Aeorplan?

Old Apr 5, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Is this Itinerary Possible with Aeorplan?

YYZ - OGG
HNL-SFO
LAX-YYZ

Also does anyone know how far out Star Alliance flights get loaded into the calendar?
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC E35K
No it's not possible. You have 2 open jaws. You're allowed 1 open jaw or one stopover plus your point of turnaround (HNL/OGG in your case).

28.1. Travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico): One stopover permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of the one stopover.

Every airlines is different releasing award inventory. It generally ranges from 330-360 days ahead.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 View Post
No it's not possible. You have 2 open jaws. You're allowed 1 open jaw or one stopover plus your point of turnaround (HNL/OGG in your case).

28.1. Travel within Canada or between Canada and the Continental USA (not including Hawaii/Puerto Rico): One stopover permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of the one stopover.

Every airlines is different releasing award inventory. It generally ranges from 330-360 days ahead.
Ok so I could do it if I changed OGG to HNL?
Or book three one way flights?
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jonmar View Post
Ok so I could do it if I changed OGG to HNL?
Or book three one way flights?
If you changed OGG-HNL is should be fine. You could do 3 one way flights too, but that seems like a waste of points.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
If you changed OGG-HNL is should be fine. You could do 3 one way flights too, but that seems like a waste of points.
Better off to change to OGG to HNL and just buy a HNL-OGG segment.

A while back I bought SFO-HNL because it was way cheaper than SFO-KOA, and then spent very little money on a round-trip HNL-KOA. I think it saved me around $400 at the end of the day, and gave me a fun night in HNL (no such thing as a fun night in KOA ).
Old Apr 5, 19, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
... buy a HNL-OGG segment.
For those who aren't aware, SW flies this route now. Always good to support airlines that include baggage in the ticket price.
Old Apr 5, 19, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by tracon View Post
For those who aren't aware, SW flies this route now. Always good to support airlines that include baggage in the ticket price.
I don't think "always good to support" is appropriate but it certainly merits looking at WN fares esp if you'll have bags and if nothing else should keep the competition honest.
Old Apr 6, 19, 6:47 am

Programs: aeroplan SE, bonvoy peon
Wouldn't YYZ-HNL, HNL-LAX, SFO-YYZ be both a stopover and an open jaw and thus not permitted?
Old Apr 6, 19, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by biglinguist View Post
Wouldn't YYZ-HNL, HNL-LAX, SFO-YYZ be both a stopover and an open jaw and thus not permitted?
HNL is the point of turnaround. LAX/SFO is the open jaw.
Old Apr 6, 19, 6:57 pm

However, 28.1 does not apply to OP. He's travelling between Canada and Hawaii whereas that rule specifically excludes travel to Hawaii and PR. Per the Aeroplan rules the relevant rule is actually 28.2:
28.2. Between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean:

28.2.1. Rule for rewards containing only Air Canada flight: Two stopovers are permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one stopover.

28.2.2. Rule for rewards containing a minimum of one flight on a Star Alliance partner other than Air Canada: One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in addition to the one stopover.
-James
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 6, 19, 7:01 pm

HNL is the point of turnaround. LAX/SFO is the open jaw.
Open jaw not at destination or origin is YMMV.
Old Apr 6, 19, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
However, 28.1 does not apply to OP. He's travelling between Canada and Hawaii whereas that rule specifically excludes travel to Hawaii and PR. Per the Aeroplan rules the relevant rule is actually 28.2:

-James
Youíre right I copied the wrong rule, however given the routing the OP is looking at, itís still POT + stopover or open jaw.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: