Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Asked A Woman To Breastfeed In An Airplane Bathroom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Asked A Woman To Breastfeed In An Airplane Bathroom

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
This makes the most sense. She probably asked/demanded a private place, and was advised that the lav would be the only option is she wanted privacy. As a millennial, and even worse a doctor, she probably believed that AC should give her a J pod and erect a curtain for her.
What’s with the referencing of her demographic like it has some bearing?

You’re making a huge assumption about what her “demands” were and then attributing said demand to the fact she’s a millennial.

Take a look around you. There are an awful lot of high functioning millenials contributing to the society you live in.
skybluesea, ffsim, pewpew and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My attitude on these cases has changed a lot in the past 9 months or so.

I am much more willing to attribute the stupidity to AC, and not to her.
arf04, nexusCFX and codfather like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:23 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by skybluesea
Folks, please read these two posts together - says a lot, and NOT about this traveler and the circumstances, but those who fail to understand the "sticky floor" that woman still face everyday...

Nothing to do with being a "millennial" - just a trope that diminishes women and in this case a mom, which contrasts that AC appears to have dealt with this in a reasonable way.

Hopefully, AC and this mom find mutually agreeable remedy, should any serious issues really exist.
I think I'm pretty offended by this post. My point has nothing to do with the fact the passenger was a woman or a parent. It's the culture of entitlement and faux outrage that so many people seem to have. And in this case, I think I'm proven even more right, as it has been confirmed that this all happened over the phone. So why not talk to a supervisor, who would surely apologize profusely, and state AC's policy, which is that breastfeeding onboard is permitted and encouraged, and the agent would have been re-educated, and the issue would have been addressed.

But no, far better to make it public and create a firestorm.
yvrcritic likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I don't think it's AC's fault (other than to hire people who should not be in a customer facing position). Unfortunately they would get their behinds handed to them by the court if they blamed the person who was at fault (the flight attendant)... there are many of the flight attendants who are truly great (or trying to be). But I'm sure that we've all encountered the grumpy condescending FA who thought they'd join an airline so they could see the world, yet found out it's not that easy so they're taking it out on the passenger under the guise of AC rules so they aren't directly blamed for it <breath> To our detriment, there are far more of the grumpy kind, and not the superstar ones.

There are those people who should not be facing the customer... unfortunately AC attracts a lot of these and they don't know where to put them...
My apologies, I should have been more specific! This is a common marketing issue for companies because far too many people blame the company for bad service from an individual. This often occurs with Air Canada!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I am rarely sympathetic to AC's explanations of various customer service failures, but the implication of "an Air Canada employee asked me to breastfeed in the bathroom" is much different if it occurred on a plane (or lounge or airport or any other place that AC has control over) versus in a bizarre, incomprehensible phone interaction (why would a person on the other end of a telephone have any bearing on someone breastfeeding or not?).

To be clear: asking someone who is breastfeeding or seems as though they might breastfeed later to do so privately is NOT acceptable.

But that didn't happen.

A mother initiating an interaction with a corporate employee and asking them an unknown question that is answered by "you can breastfeed in the lavatory", then immediately publicizing that interaction in an ambiguous way shows little except the customer's self-importance.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I think I'm pretty offended by this post.
You made a good series of points about the circumstances of the complaint, and the reasons it seemed a little 'off'. But you also lost a lot of sympathy when you attached an unnecessary and inaccurate stereotype to the complainant that itself would offend many:
she chose to do so in the clearly millennial fashion of drawing as much attention to herself as she could
and
As a millennial, and even worse a doctor...
I'm still unsure why being a doctor would be "even worse", but perhaps you've had some upsetting clinical visits in your past.

Anyway, feel free to comment upon the complaint, and provide your opinion on the subject. No need to drag an entire generation down in the process.
arf04 and skybluesea like this.

Last edited by CZAMFlyer; Mar 8, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by eigenvector

...shows little except the customer's self-importance.
This is a character trait inherent in all millenials. We must find a way to stop these leeches. They are ruining our otherwise highly functional society.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
This is a character trait inherent in all millenials. We must find a way to stop these leeches. They are ruining our otherwise highly functional society.
But but but...they make such good beer. And bread. And coffee. Can we just contain them to light-industrial zoned land until they enter their thirties?
Twickenham likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Anyway, feel free to comment upon the complaint, and provide your opinion on the subject. No need to drag an entire generation down in the process.
Your view has merit, and I do apologize for using a rash over-generalization.

I work in a position where I have been dealing with a lot of people from that generation looking to enter specific industries that require regulation, and honestly, I find many of the people I talk with to be ill-prepared and informed, and just want me to give them answers, as opposed to doing their own research. I don’t know if it’s generational, or just a bad run of luck, but man it is frustrating. Do a google search people!

In any case, apologies to well researched, hard working millennials everywhere. Avocado toast, flat whites and kettle sour ales for everyone!
CZAMFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 11:22 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:45 pm

Your view has merit, and I do apologize for using a rash over-generalization.

I work in a position where I have been dealing with a lot of people from that generation looking to enter specific industries that require regulation, and honestly, I find many of the people I talk with to be ill-prepared and informed, and just want me to give them answers, as opposed to doing their own research. I don’t know if it’s generational, or just a bad run of luck, but man it is frustrating. Do a google search people!

In any case, apologies to well researched, hard working millennials everywhere. Avocado toast, flat whites and kettle sour ales for everyone!
Oh man I was right there with you, until the kettle sour ales. Horrible bloody excuse for a beer.

No worries my friend, and hope you encounter some impressive and competent youngsters soon. They're out there, in droves. Just look past their skinny jeans and smooth skin and vacant stares behind thick-rimmed glasses.

The scary thing is that millennials are now piloting the planes on which we breastfeed.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
For the love of God, its 2019, its a natural thing to do!

I remember as a young child, on a subway in Europe right in front of my virgin eyes a mom, pulled out one of her breast and hooked her child to it. I was a young child, i saw a boob!!! but in Europe where many attitudes seems to be much more progressive then ours in North America, its normal.

It's also normal here! No special privileges, needed, no perv peeking required, its a natural activity.

Get over it! should not be an issue.

As a man, i feel for women who have to endure these gender specific issues! Stupid is what stupid does!
arf04 and skybluesea like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Another character trait is the cheap-and-easy blaming of millenials by generations preceeding millenials. (I'm on the tail-end of the baby-boomer generation, FWIW).

Every generation thinks the ones following are deficient in some manner of character.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Much ado about what was most likely a miscommunication, which has been blown out of proportion. Again, AC's PR department failed to control the situation and allowed the complainant to set the agenda. The event required a quick factual response that set out the airline's position and which either refuted the claims of the complainant. or admitted an error. The poor response has facilitated the mob hysteria.

The reporting of the event is downright silly.
- Of course it's a woman. Who else is going to breast feed an infant? The repeated emphasis upon a woman being involved is just overkill and indicative of an underlying agenda.
- Infants need to take in nourishment every few hours and it is an accepted good health practice to promote breast feeding when possible. No one argues against that.
- The issue that arises is when a person asks for a "private" place in which to undertake the activity. On a narrow body aircraft, there are no facilities available to do this, aside from a lavatory. If someone is insistent, there may be a medical reason and yes, it is a responsible practice to refer the matter to a person who is better trained to respond.
- There is an assumption that breast feeding is a quiet, clean affair. Well, yes for some kids it is. For others, it includes belching, crying, and vomiting, including the spraying of liquids. Anyone who claims that their little angel isn't capable of launching a projectile spray is telling porkies. There is a reason why prudent mothers deploy a towel. Having sat next to a child who shared his meal with me, it isn't nice, even if the spray is less than 20 ml. It is high fat and difficult to clean using airplane paper towels and kleenex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.