FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Air Canada Asked A Woman To Breastfeed In An Airplane Bathroom (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1959770-air-canada-asked-woman-breastfeed-airplane-bathroom.html)

canadiancow Mar 7, 2019 10:25 am

Air Canada Asked A Woman To Breastfeed In An Airplane Bathroom

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/canada/...s-are-outraged

WaytoomuchEurope Mar 7, 2019 10:32 am

If an FA ever made that suggestion to my wife I would burst out laughing and then hand them one of the 38 million AC issued eye shades I have.

"Here. Wear this. Now your delicate sensibilities need not be offended."

yyckerr Mar 7, 2019 10:34 am

Oops

’Just kidding everyone. We’re totally cool with breastfeeding obviously. Psst hey Stephanie can we just chat over here quick? I just dropped my folder full of discount codes can you help me pick them up?’

VoodooYYC Mar 7, 2019 10:46 am

Clearly, AC hates families, babies, and really children of any sort, and despite their best protests, the FA followed what can only be official airline policies in this case.

In protest, I would encourage all parents of all children to fly WestJet, now and forever more...:cool:

Can anyone tell me, why is this news? OK, the FA clearly f'ed up, badly, and the customer is right to escalate to the airline. Although, she chose to do so in the clearly millennial fashion of drawing as much attention to herself as she could in doing so.

WaytoomuchEurope Mar 7, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC (Post 30858958)

...she chose to do so in the clearly millennial fashion of drawing as much attention to herself as she could in doing so.

Try to look at it a different way. Millennials were raised with an understanding that this is the most expedient way to cause another party some public embarrassment and force them to acknowledge wrongdoing.

The woman may or may not want some attention for herself - we don't know. It's equally likely that she's just using the method that she understands to be most effective.

This method gets used thousands of times a day all over the world because it works. No need to besmirch this woman's character because she's chosen to employ said method.

RatherBeInYOW Mar 7, 2019 10:55 am

Can anyone tell me, why is this news? OK, the FA clearly f'ed up, badly, and the customer is right to escalate to the airline. Although, she chose to do so in the clearly millennial fashion of drawing as much attention to herself as she could in doing so.

Twitter is one of the best ways to get a response from Air Canada, especially for a no-status PAX. What is she going to do, call and wait on hold for 2 hours, email in and get a generic reply 5% base fare discount code? And Air Canada is not wide open for Twitter DMs, so she can't do that either. If this was me, and I wasn't SE, this is exactly how I would have handled it too; tweet @ Air Canada. And lo and behold she got a response!

Obviously AC screwed up here. You'd think in 2019 this would not happen, but AC has thousands of flight crew and mistakes happen. Hopefully this is a teaching moment for someone, and AC apologize and compensate the affected woman to her satisfaction.

ffsim Mar 7, 2019 10:56 am

Can anyone tell me, why is this news?

Silly guy, mtlblog is not a source of news ;)

VoodooYYC Mar 7, 2019 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ffsim (Post 30858988)

Silly guy, mtlblog is not a source of news ;)

You dont think CBC will pick this up in the next 12 hours, and then reach out to that idiot Gabor for comment? Please...

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW (Post 30858986)

Obviously AC screwed up here. You'd think in 2019 this would not happen, but AC has thousands of flight crew and mistakes happen. Hopefully this is a teaching moment for someone, and AC apologize and compensate the affected woman to her satisfaction.

Why does she deserve compensation outside of an acknowledgement and apology? At least anything beyond the usual 5 or 15% discount code I get when I complain that I could build new suitcases out of gum wrappers faster than my current ones are ever delivered in YOW.

MQS007 Mar 7, 2019 11:38 am

Her rights under the Canadian Human Rights Code may have been violated for which the party that has breached those rights can be found to owe damages at large.

That is why she is entitled to compensation.

Stranger Mar 7, 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC (Post 30859012)
You dont think CBC will pick this up in the next 12 hours, and then reach out to that idiot Gabor for comment? Please...

The CBC should pick this up. But I would hope that they stop catering to the idiot's overinflated ego.

BRAISKI Mar 7, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by MQS007 (Post 30859155)
Her rights under the Canadian Human Rights Code may have been violated for which the party that has breached those rights can be found to owe damages at large.

That is why she is entitled to compensation.

I think some people don't understand the Canadian Human Rights Code that's why some people take it for granted and just "sweep it under the rug" type of deal, they think its just another person complaining.

van90 Mar 7, 2019 12:32 pm

Oh wow if anyone told me I couldn't breastfeed on the plane...I can't even imagine what I would say. Luckily I've only had good experiences in the last year. I've flown with my baby 4 times and not once has anyone said anything or even given me a look while breastfeeding.
I remember reading a story a year or so ago where a flight attendant handed a woman's husband a blanket and said 'Give this to her to cover up'. How that happens these days is beyond me.

codfather Mar 7, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 30859202)
The CBC should pick this up. But I would hope that they stop catering to the idiot's overinflated ego.

I think we have all heard enough out of Gabor Lukacs...

This was a big mistake on the part of AC, it will be very bad PR for them when it reaches CBC! Foolish of the flight attendant to thing that no backlash would arise from this, it is beyond me!

YEG USER Mar 7, 2019 12:51 pm

Years ago when travelling with my wife and infant, during the safety briefing the FA actually recommended breastfeeding once we were wheels up to help with ear pressure during ascent.

Im curious if the pax asked to talk to the SD. In my experience supervisors are typically able to correct such errors quickly, not that things should get to that point.

tracon Mar 7, 2019 1:37 pm

In protest, I would encourage all parents of all children to fly WestJet, now and forever more...:cool:

WS is no better. At least they weren't last decade.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...sment-1.697186