Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada launches YVR-AKL route

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by heinzr
AFAIK? This flight is not a *A partner - it's AC flights AC51 and AC52?
Sorry. You are correct. Got sidetracked by the conversation immediately above the availability question which was specific to Air New Zealand.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Was looking at flights for March 2020 spring break.
AC has some a few business class seats available for ~$5,500 return.
Some outbound business class fares are $2,090, $1,650 in Economy Plus for the return. Not a bad combo if looking for a comfy ride to NZ, and a chance of an upgrade on the way back if SE.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
ETA for flights to New Zealand - NZeTA

August 13 2019

Now on the main page of AC's website

Link to page

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...w-zealand.html

Electronic Travel Authorization for flights to New Zealand

August 13, 2019

The Government of New Zealand has introduced a new entry requirement, known as the New Zealand Electronic Travel Authorization (NZeTA), that applies to visa-exempt foreign nationals* travelling to or transiting New Zealand by air, including Australian Permanent Residents.

Effective October 1, 2019, visa-exempt foreign nationals must have a NZeTA before they can board a flight to New Zealand.

Among those exempted from this new requirement are Australian citizens and travellers with a valid paper visa.

To complete your application for a NZeTA, you will need your valid passport, a credit or debit card and an email address. A NZeTA costs NZD $9 if you apply through the Mobile app or NZD $12 if you use the online formOpens in New WindowExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., and is valid for up to two years.

If you are entering New Zealand, you must also pay the International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). You pay the IVL at the same time as you request your NZeTA. The IVL costs NZD $35.

The Government of New Zealand recommends visitors and transit passengers request their NZeTA well in advance of travel and allow at least 72 hours for processing time.

To check if you need a NZeTA or to apply for one, visit the Government of New Zealand’s Electronic Travel AuthorizationOpens in New WindowExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. website.

* A visa-exempt foreign national is a person who is not a citizen of New Zealand and is not required to obtain a paper visa for the purpose of travel based on their country of nationality.

I'll assume that AC will have the same excellent GAs checking pax as they've had for my various flights to Australia.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 24left
August 13 2019
I'll assume that AC will have the same excellent GAs checking pax as they've had for my various flights to Australia.
On my most recent trip to SYD, there was no longer any GA check at the gate in YVR. I was surprised, but evidently they have "automated" the process.
24left likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by fin 645
On my most recent trip to SYD, there was no longer any GA check at the gate in YVR. I was surprised, but evidently they have "automated" the process.
What do you mean by GA check? How have this been "automated"?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by lsquare
What do you mean by GA check? How have this been "automated"?
For as long as I can remember, there was a separate desk at the YVR dep gate, where every passenger had to have their documents checked, even if already seen at another departure point (eg YYZ). I have also seen such a check set up at arrival gates with lots of cnx pax to Aust.

But last month, this check was not performed, and the GA just said (when I asked where to do it), that they now do it a "different way". In reality, I have no idea how, but have to assume it's still checked to ensure they don't carry anyone ineligible to enter Aust. But not surprised they found another system, with up to 3 departures every night to Aust, and now AKL in the offing, it was a very labour intensive activity.

Not sure how AKL departures will be handled.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If it's an Electronic Travel Authorization, shouldn't the Authorization be verified Electronically, blocking check-in?

That's how they do it for Canadian ETAs, and that's been my experience on NH and SQ for Australia.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If it's an Electronic Travel Authorization, shouldn't the Authorization be verified Electronically, blocking check-in?
One would think...

The Amadeus migration should hopefully help things like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by canadiancow

That's how they do it for Canadian ETAs, and that's been my experience on NH and SQ for Australia.
Yes. That is how it works. If there is no valid ETA, the PAX cannot complete the check-in, either on-line, at a kiosk or at a desk. An ETA is verified via iAPI (interactive Advance Passenger Information - a receiving-government system which exists in Canada, US, Australia, not sure about NZ). Eligibility to travel is verified during check-in.
--
13F
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:22 am

Just a small bump on this thread.

What are the chances the "regulatory approval" for this route doesn't get approved? It is currently the cheapest flight (but still exorbitant) around Xmas time and I want to get home but don't want to get stuck in YVR.

I have no experience in this so appreciate everyone's advice!

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by jobe8

What are the chances the "regulatory approval" for this route doesn't get approved? It is currently the cheapest flight (but still exorbitant) around Xmas time and I want to get home but don't want to get stuck in YVR.

Thanks
Just book it if you like the price. If there is some sort of regulatory bump in the road, AC will rebook you on NZ or some other carrier.
24left likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jobe8

Thanks
Based on the launch of similar routes etc., I'd be surprised if there were any issues with the launch of this route. But in the unlikely event that the flight didn't operate as planned, AC would rebook you onto the NZ flight or on AC via SYD/MEL/BNE.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
After doing an exhaustive search, this is the only thread I could find on YVR-AKL route. I am looking for 2 seats in Business (basic) using Aeroplan miles on this route. Is there an easy way to find available inventory besides going thru each date individually.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by tullupump
After doing an exhaustive search, this is the only thread I could find on YVR-AKL route. I am looking for 2 seats in Business (basic) using Aeroplan miles on this route. Is there an easy way to find available inventory besides going thru each date individually.

Any help would be appreciated.
@tullupump
Welcome to AC FT

A couple of things:
1. You did not mention your planned travel dates. Nor did you specify if you were looking at flying on previously existing routes AC YVR-AKL or NZ YVR-AKL.

2. It almost doesn't matter at this point as New Zealand is closed to visitors. I'm not a fan of CNN but they did have this recent article. Of course the most accurate source might always be the NZ government itself.

Travel to New Zealand during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/n...-19/index.html

3. Air Canada's own website does not currently show any flights to AU or NZ as these countries are closed.

Where we fly Plan your next trip with our current and upcoming routes schedule.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html

4. While you may find some routings on Aeroplan with other airlines, you still have the issue of entry. Until NZ decides they want visitors, it's up to you if you still want to book with Aeroplan using any of their *A partners

Good luck.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
Originally Posted by 24left
@tullupump
Welcome to AC FT

A couple of things:
1. You did not mention your planned travel dates. Nor did you specify if you were looking at flying on previously existing routes AC YVR-AKL or NZ YVR-AKL.

2. It almost doesn't matter at this point as New Zealand is closed to visitors. I'm not a fan of CNN but they did have this recent article. Of course the most accurate source might always be the NZ government itself.

Travel to New Zealand during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/n...-19/index.html

3. Air Canada's own website does not currently show any flights to AU or NZ as these countries are closed.

Where we fly Plan your next trip with our current and upcoming routes schedule.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html

4. While you may find some routings on Aeroplan with other airlines, you still have the issue of entry. Until NZ decides they want visitors, it's up to you if you still want to book with Aeroplan using any of their *A partners

Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. I realize NZ is closed right now but am hoping that by next year they will open up travel for US citizens. Right now I am just doing some planning to see which airline may have availability. The AC YVR-AKL flight looked like a good possibility in the March -April 2022 timeframe and it was available last month. I guess they have suspended it.

Thanks for the info. Will keep looking to see if they open it up again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.