Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye/Bon Voyage to Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
I don't understand why people are blaming the OP for only checking the bag to YYZ. Assuming that the gate-checked baggage tag is written by hand, that seems like a very sensible thing to do, as it would take more human intervention (which is usually a bad thing at AC) to facilitate the bag being transferred to YVR upon arrival at YYZ as it would lack a bar code. If the baggage handlers couldn't take the bag off the plane and put it on the right carousel at YYZ, I'm really sceptical that they would have handled the connection to YVR properly. That bag was effectively lost as soon as it left the OP's hand in RSW, regardless of what was written on that baggage tag; they could have handwritten "Valhalla" as the destination and it still probably would have ended up in YXY.

Unlike many here, it seems, I totally respect the OP for their choice to vote with their feet. I did something similar last year when I bailed from BA to AC (I would have no status on BA at all this year if they didn't have a soft-landing system for status). Cost cutting taken to an extreme has made BA, once an excellent airline to fly with, a poor value proposition flying YYZ-LHR given the fact that pricing on AC & BA tend to be identical on this route. Choosing to take our business elsewhere is really the only recourse we have against poor treatment by large airlines; unfortunately in Canada the lack of significant competition makes it much more difficult to do. I'm lucky that most of my travel is TATL where there is competition from foreign airlines who also fly non-stop on several routes.
karachi and see2xu like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Well, again, applying your personal and obsolete workarounds and messing with the system is hardly ACs fault. Getting a lost bag in less than a week is pretty good, industry wide.

You made a calculated choice to not be normal. And you lost.
Not sure that i agree, I believe this bag would fit sideways in the bins on the sides of the planes, obviously not in the middle on a 767. The main reason is that there was no space, not that it did not fit.
Transpacificflyer and see2xu like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by vernonc
I believe Delta has retired the 767-300 and is retrofitting the 767-400 with suites in J so looks like a big retrofit starting 2019
They might be planning to retire their 763's (over the next decade) but they currently have 79 in the fleet:
https://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/...ir%20Lines.htm
They don't even have enough widebody frames on order to replace the 79.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:32 pm

Slightly OT. I find this thread interesting. Not because AC did something wrong (I totally agree that the baggage issue was mis-handled, no pun intended), but because this is an example of something I've noticed in my years reading/posting here; about how people's pre-conceptions/biases can affect their reinforce their overall perception of the situation.

Take, for example, the state of the aircraft.

Originally Posted by see2xu
Comfortably ensconced 1m above me, on AC 104, a modern Airbus, wheels-in, at this moment.
Today's flight AC104 is operated by FIN 453 (C-GIUB). This aircraft is 17.3 years old according to https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a321-1623.htm. The aircraft's interior would have been installed sometime 2006-2008 when the AC mainline aircraft received the "XM" make-overs.

... But, I haven’t flown a museum-quality, unrestored 767-300 in quite a while.
Originally Posted by The Lev
The original 763 design does have somewhat small bins in the middle section of the aircraft but a slightly oversized bag should have fit in the bins along the side of the aircraft. I'm assuming you arrived later in the boarding process and those were filled. These were standard-issue bins for the 763 up until they did a cabin design refresh. I suspect you'd have exactly the same issue on one of DL's 763's. They average almost exactly the same age - 21.6 years for ACr and 21.4 years for DL.
AC has been transferring 763's from the mainline fleet to rouge. IIRC they are transferring the "younger" aircraft and retiring the older aircraft. I don't know what aircraft you were on, but many of the 763's are younger than the Airbus the OP flew on AC 104. Based on the bin description, it is likely that the 763 airframe is older than the 321 airframe, however based on an average age of 21.6 years, the 763 airplane likely wasn't "significantly" older than the airbus. In addition, rouge launched July 1, 2013. All aircraft that transferred to rouge got brand new (IIRC slimline) seats, so the oldest seats in the rouge fleet would be just over 5 years old. Of course, the rouge seats don't have AVOD like mainline.

I totally understand OP's frustration; delayed baggage in such a circumstance is unacceptable. I just find it interesting how the perception is different for the different aircraft, when both aircraft likely aren't significantly different in age. The aircraft with the newer seats is referred to as "museum-quality unrestored" and the aircraft with the older interior is referred to as "modern."

Of course, YMMV.
RZR and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Not sure that i agree, I believe this bag would fit sideways in the bins on the sides of the planes, obviously not in the middle on a 767. The main reason is that there was no space, not that it did not fit.
My rollerbag is a victim of the ACr 767's ratcheting bins. I know the pain.

OP decided to short check his non-fitting bag because he remembered trouble connecting a generation ago. Had he not, all would have been good.

Don't mess with the system and complain.
TemboOne likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
Surprising that they could not accommodate the carry-on given the passenger was flying up-front. Not being on that flight, I would hazard a guess that some of the J bin space was crew bags. As was any space in the coat cabin though I am not even sure if a Rouge flight has a coat cabin.
Gate checking a bag on the plane is risky - I have seen FA's scribble seat numbers on paper and stick the offending bag out the front door. If that paper disappears or is incorrect, that bag is heading somewhere else which may be what happened here.
Now aboard the YYZ-RSW leg, another collector’s item aircraft, and have determined that there is no closet for J-Class coats. I diplomatically let the FA know that I was going to be leaving the plane with my bag (and trench coat), whether here, or in RSW, and that the expedience of having me get off here would have consequences, later. They shuffled other people’s stuff around and got everything in.

6 abreast J class seating, with only two of four bins above above each able to accept an IATA-legal carryon, and sideways, at that. I would imagine I am neither the first, nor the last, to be underwhelmed by North America’s Leading Air Carrier(R).

BUT, Kawhi Leonard has standup headroom at seats C, E, F, & H! And AC squeezes a few more bucks out of a long depreciated asset, with minimal capital outlay.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Slightly OT. I find this thread interesting. Not because AC did something wrong (I totally agree that the baggage issue was mis-handled, no pun intended), but because this is an example of something I've noticed in my years reading/posting here; about how people's pre-conceptions/biases can affect their reinforce their overall perception of the situation.

Take, for example, the state of the aircraft.

Today's flight AC104 is operated by FIN 453 (C-GIUB). This aircraft is 17.3 years old according to https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a321-1623.htm. The aircraft's interior would have been installed sometime 2006-2008 when the AC mainline aircraft received the "XM" make-overs.

AC has been transferring 763's from the mainline fleet to rouge. IIRC they are transferring the "younger" aircraft and retiring the older aircraft. I don't know what aircraft you were on, but many of the 763's are younger than the Airbus the OP flew on AC 104. Based on the bin description, it is likely that the 763 airframe is older than the 321 airframe, however based on an average age of 21.6 years, the 763 airplane likely wasn't "significantly" older than the airbus. In addition, rouge launched July 1, 2013. All aircraft that transferred to rouge got brand new (IIRC slimline) seats, so the oldest seats in the rouge fleet would be just over 5 years old. Of course, the rouge seats don't have AVOD like mainline.

I totally understand OP's frustration; delayed baggage in such a circumstance is unacceptable. I just find it interesting how the perception is different for the different aircraft, when both aircraft likely aren't significantly different in age. The aircraft with the newer seats is referred to as "museum-quality unrestored" and the aircraft with the older interior is referred to as "modern."

Of course, YMMV.
These are OLD 763s. The seat hardware is the same stuff that was in these cabins when I lived in Canada, as are the overheads. The first were delivered in the early 80s. One made a dead stick landing at the Gimli airport in ‘84 while my then-neighbour was celebrating his high school homecoming reunion in the old mess hall on the airfield. This aircraft is identical to ones I flew in the late 80s and early 90s, except for seat covers, and the addition of 110V outlets in the armrests. DL & UA had similar configs. Can’t speak for UA, but any DL 767 I’ve flown in recent times has contemporary seats, and modern overhead bins.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Delta: loves to fly and it shows...or is it Delta: loves to fly when it snows...Lol!
Every major airline has it's quirks, I've flown DL and it's no great shakes IMHO!
Sorry to hear about your bad experience...
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperCargo
I don't understand why people are blaming the OP for only checking the bag to YYZ. Assuming that the gate-checked baggage tag is written by hand, that seems like a very sensible thing to do, as it would take more human intervention (which is usually a bad thing at AC) to facilitate the bag being transferred to YVR upon arrival at YYZ as it would lack a bar code. If the baggage handlers couldn't take the bag off the plane and put it on the right carousel at YYZ, I'm really sceptical that they would have handled the connection to YVR properly. That bag was effectively lost as soon as it left the OP's hand in RSW, regardless of what was written on that baggage tag; they could have handwritten "Valhalla" as the destination and it still probably would have ended up in YXY.

Unlike many here, it seems, I totally respect the OP for their choice to vote with their feet. I did something similar last year when I bailed from BA to AC (I would have no status on BA at all this year if they didn't have a soft-landing system for status). Cost cutting taken to an extreme has made BA, once an excellent airline to fly with, a poor value proposition flying YYZ-LHR given the fact that pricing on AC & BA tend to be identical on this route. Choosing to take our business elsewhere is really the only recourse we have against poor treatment by large airlines; unfortunately in Canada the lack of significant competition makes it much more difficult to do. I'm lucky that most of my travel is TATL where there is competition from foreign airlines who also fly non-stop on several routes.
There was a bar code on the tiny receipt I got from the FA, presumably corresponding to the mangled, marked over tag in the picture. I don’t know if they have them pre-printed, then handwrite the destination, or if someone in the jetway has a printer, and issues them there.

Regardless, it wasn’t attached to my FRL, until I closed the loop in YVR on arrival and presented the receipt. The YYZ agent MAY have manually entered it, but I don’t recall him asking for my BP, let alone scanning it
film_girl likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james dean
Delta: loves to fly and it shows...or is it Delta: loves to fly when it snows...Lol!
Every major airline has it's quirks, I've flown DL and it's no great shakes IMHO!
Sorry to hear about your bad experience...
I’m not shilling DAL, and they aren’t a viable alternative for most Canadian PAX, anyway. I have experienced in-transit issues with them, though, and they have been more communicative, responsive, and empathetic, than AC was, in this instance.

And those instances were weather-, mechanical-, or infrastructure-caused. I view my problem this week as purely of AC’s making, and have yet to see any thoughtful view that would cause to to change my mind, in this thread.
24left likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
These are OLD 763s. The seat hardware is the same stuff that was in these cabins when I lived in Canada, as are the overheads. The first were delivered in the early 80s. One made a dead stick landing at the Gimli airport in ‘84 while my then-neighbour was celebrating his high school homecoming reunion in the old mess hall on the airfield. This aircraft is identical to ones I flew in the late 80s and early 90s, except for seat covers, and the addition of 110V outlets in the armrests. DL & UA had similar configs. Can’t speak for UA, but any DL 767 I’ve flown in recent times has contemporary seats, and modern overhead bins.
The Gimli Glider was a 767-200 and that incident took place in 1983.

Rouge operates 767-300's. The oldest 767-300 in Rouge's fleet dates from 1990, so it wasn't around at the time of that incident. Here is a list of all the 767's in Rouge's fleet. you need to click on each one to get their delivery date: https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...ctive-b767.htm

You are right that they have the original bins (not unusual) but the seats are not from when the aircraft were delivered. At the time both AC and CP had "barcalounger" J seating that was far more comfortable than what is currently in Rouge. I'm not sure where they got the seats from, but do agree that even though they are probably only 5 years old they feel old and shabby with the grey upholstery.
cedric likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
The good news is AC has lots of 767's, and no plans so far to replace them.Oh no widebody's on order. Oh wait AC did buy 4 used A330s planes from the budget airline TAP, perhaps a few less 767s will be here in another year.

The good news is some A220 (Cseries) are coming in 2021 and AC will have some newer planes eventually.
Send you bills to AC, they do pay for clothes, and of enough people send them bills they might start to do something about lost luggage.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
4 takeaways from this fabulous thread:
  1. OP is very well spoken. Nice to read a rant with some substance and panache.
  2. I have no problem with OP trying to carry on that bag - I just ordered one the same dimensions. Good to know that if I am going to board a 767 I'll need to check it and that I should do that properly so it doesn't go to Whitehorse.
  3. I am reasonably impressed with the rapid recovery on AC's part.
  4. I've done something terribly wrong with my life because I would never consider a $600 outfit "minimally respectable".
OP I'm sorry for your experience. Unfortunately, as you're well aware, it is not a unique experience for someone who travels often, regardless of what airline is handling the bag.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:53 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It doesn't appear so in this case. Do you have any data to back up the claim of "general bad", or any particular function that disappoints? Is it originating bags, connecting bags or delivery to carousel that you view as poor?

The baggage system is undergoing major overhaul, which will improve the speed that bags transit the labyrinth under the terminal. Of course, the airport itself doesn't assume any responsibility for the bags until the ground handlers have offloaded them from the airplane and driven to the appropriate airside belt. After that happens, the delivery stats which I have seen suggest that the rate of misplaced bags in Vancouver is really quite low and compares very favourably to other Canadian airports.
You may not have had any YVR baggage problems, but over the last few years, all my baggage problems have been with YVR well flying different airlines. My data point is a conversation with a airline executive at a FF club meeting.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who subscribe to the “blame the victim” credo, this is the offending piece of luggage:

https://ca.tumi.com/p/tegra-lite-max...y-on-028720TG/

That bag should fit lengthwise in the 763 bin. Easily. Sideways it is 1 cm too tall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.