FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Goodbye/Bon Voyage to Air Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1955119-goodbye-bon-voyage-air-canada.html)

see2xu Feb 7, 2019 11:56 am

Goodbye/Bon Voyage to Air Canada

I am on the last Air Canada trip, of my life. Having migrated Stateside some 23 years ago, my interactions with the onetime “Peoples’ Airline” have been few and far between lately, the last coming over 4 years ago.

Normally, I transit between my home airport (RSW, Southwest Florida International) and Vancouver, 2 or 3 times a year, using DL, and connecting at MSP. However, DL had gotten so greedy since my last trek, in November, that they were almost 50% higher than AC, when I sought to book passage, early in December. Swallowing hard, I accepted that connections at Pearson were in my near future.

Sunday, I boarded a 767-300, and felt myself transported back to the ‘80s, when I was based in Ottawa, and then Toronto, covering Canada and frequently visiting the U.S. The Gimli Glider-era aircraft was unchanged from that long-ago part of my life, other than a garish Rouge paint job, and sloppily-fitted fabric seat covers, replacing the mauve “Executive Class” ones that dwelt in the dark recesses of my memory.

Including the overhead luggage compartments, conceived long before wheeled rollaboard suitcases became the inseparable companion of every business traveler. My 4-wheeled Tumi 22” bag would not fit in the space available, despite my having boarded with the rest of my fellow Business Class travelers. Unable to spare room in the forward (crew) closet, the FAs insisted on airside checking it. I specified that I would retrieve it at YYZ, fearing the added risk of a connection, with a handwritten tag stuck on in haste. And, the notoriously slow YVR handling process awaiting me at my ultimate destination.

They lost it.

It failed to appear on the carousel in Toronto. A report to a disinterested “baggage service” agent in the immigration hall instilled little confidence, and all I got was a piece of paper that let me escape past the crack Canadian border agents into the insecure area at T1, forced to re-enter with the thronging hordes because I thought I was going to get my bag back.

On the connecting flight, I got a text message from my wife in Florida. She reported that someone with AC in Toronto had called her (her contact info was attached to the bag, as was a Delta SkyMiles tag bearing my name), and she informed them that I was going to Vancouver. The agent assured her that he would put it on the next flight to YVR, which would have left either 1 1/2 or 3 hours after mine.

I contacted Nordstrom, and had clothes to my specifications delivered to my hotel, as I had a business meeting to attend the next morning, and felt that the chances of the bag showing up in time was pretty slender.

I filed a report with “baggage services” on arrival in Vancouver, with tag #, description, and the location I needed the suitcase sent to, expecting to find it in my room after the meetings ended, the next day.

But, no. Further inquiries, by myself, and the executive assistant at the firm where I was engaged in meetings, resulted in no useful information being produced.

After all the meetings concluded, I returned, myself, to the YVR domestic baggage service counter, fairly confident that it was gathering dust in an unattended corner of their storage area, and that the immediacy of having a deeply unsatisfied customer physically present might prompt some initiative on the part of the good UniFor members. Astonishingly, the agent informed me that the bag was due to arrive in about twenty minutes....on a flight from Whitehorse!

Bear in mind, this is a carryon bag that I expected to roll all the way to my Vancouver destination, and back!

Irate, I sought to rebook on another carrier for my return journey, but there were no palatable alternatives. So, I find myself on AC 104, winging my way for what I expect will be my last visit to the airport where I used to watch Constellations, Viscounts and North Stars take off and land, with my father, when we lived in a new subdivision a few kilometers to the east of the airfield.

To those who believe, as I do, that private enterprise offers a far more effective alternative to provide products and services people need, than public sector stewardship, Air Canada stands as a glaring contradication to that dogma. My experience shows that they have made no progress since the “We Aren’t Happy Until You’re Not Happy!” days as pork-barrel Crown Corporation, staffed with ruling party flunkies and entitled bargaining unit members.

And, so, Air Canada, farewell. Pasting stickers on every fuselage quoting a magazine nobody’s heard of naming you the Best North American Airline doesn’t make it so.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d792cb142.jpeg
I’ve never been to Whitehorse, but my carryon has!

Stranger Feb 7, 2019 12:05 pm

Just one detail: a 24 in four wheeled luggage is not supposed to be carry on. Even in J. Even 22 is a bit of a stretch, but it will fit.

rankourabu Feb 7, 2019 12:08 pm

If everyone quit flying Air Canada after experiencing your issues, there would be noone flying this airline a long time ago.

Bohemian1 Feb 7, 2019 12:13 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Stuff like that is always really frustrating.

Teasing apart your post, it sounds like you had issues with AC for a while, so I guess your 'separation' was inevitable.

I sincerely hope your future travel experiences (of any form) meet or exceed your expectations.

see2xu Feb 7, 2019 12:22 pm

Comfortably ensconced 1m above me, on AC 104, a modern Airbus, wheels-in, at this moment.

CZAMFlyer Feb 7, 2019 12:25 pm

One wonders how many dollars saved incites a person to make such a departure from routine, and opt for a less-savoury route.

I believe an airline should never lose any checked bag in these days of bar code wizardry and available technology perfected by large package delivery companies. Perhaps this situation was exacerbated by an airside check coupled with the request to claim the bag at the connecting airport? I'm assuming your bag lacked any sort of bar code until it arrived at Whitehorse, which your photo seems to support. I'm not sure what the aversion is to the "notoriously slow YVR handling", but the likelihood of the bag arriving with you in Vancouver would have been greater had you simply checked it at your origin.

I can't dispute your desire to move your business and your bags elsewhere. Fortunately, there exist alternatives.

Hello United? American? WestJet?

see2xu Feb 7, 2019 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30750881)
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Stuff like that is always really frustrating.

Teasing apart your post, it sounds like you had issues with AC for a while, so I guess your 'separation' was inevitable.

I sincerely hope your future travel experiences (of any form) meet or exceed your expectations.

Certainly, I chose CP Air, Wardair, and latterly, Canadian Airlines, far more often during my frequent flyer days in Canada, having had my fill of Air Canada back then. I have been told that they’ve “pulled up their socks” lately, by those who still use them regularly, but the culture doesn’t seem to have changed much, at least in this one experience.

5mm Feb 7, 2019 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by see2xu (Post 30750814)
I am on the last Air Canada trip, of my life. Having migrated Stateside some 23 years ago, my interactions with the onetime “Peoples’ Airline” have been few and far between lately, the last coming over 4 years ago.

Normally, I transit between my home airport (RSW, Southwest Florida International) and Vancouver, 2 or 3 times a year, using DL, and connecting at MSP. However, DL had gotten so greedy since my last trek, in November, that they were almost 50% higher than AC, when I sought to book passage, early in December. Swallowing hard, I accepted that connections at Pearson were in my near future.

Sunday, I boarded a 767-300, and felt myself transported back to the ‘80s, when I was based in Ottawa, and then Toronto, covering Canada and frequently visiting the U.S. The Gimli Glider-era aircraft was unchanged from that long-ago part of my life, other than a garish Rouge paint job, and sloppily-fitted fabric seat covers, replacing the mauve “Executive Class” ones that dwelt in the dark recesses of my memory.

Including the overhead luggage compartments, conceived long before wheeled rollaboard suitcases became the inseparable companion of every business traveler. My 4-wheeled Tumi 24” bag would not fit in the space available, despite my having boarded with the rest of my fellow Business Class travelers. Unable to spare room in the forward (crew) closet, the FAs insisted on airside checking it. I specified that I would retrieve it at YYZ, fearing the added risk of a connection, with a handwritten tag stuck on in haste. And, the notoriously slow YVR handling process awaiting me at my ultimate destination.

They lost it.

It failed to appear on the carousel in Toronto. A report to a disinterested “baggage service” agent in the immigration hall instilled little confidence, and all I got was a piece of paper that let me escape past the crack Canadian border agents into the insecure area at T1, forced to re-enter with the thronging hordes because I thought I was going to get my bag back.

On the connecting flight, I got a text message from my wife in Florida. She reported that someone with AC in Toronto had called her (her contact info was attached to the bag, as was a Delta SkyMiles tag bearing my name), and she informed them that I was going to Vancouver. The agent assured her that he would put it on the next flight to YVR, which would have left either 1 1/2 or 3 hours after mine.

I contacted Nordstrom, and had clothes to my specifications delivered to my hotel, as I had a business meeting to attend the next morning, and felt that the chances of the bag showing up in time was pretty slender.

I filed a report with “baggage services” on arrival in Vancouver, with tag #, description, and the location I needed the suitcase sent to, expecting to find it in my room after the meetings ended, the next day.

But, no. Further inquiries, by myself, and the executive assistant at the firm where I was engaged in meetings, resulted in no useful information being produced.

After all the meetings concluded, I returned, myself, to the YVR domestic baggage service counter, fairly confident that it was gathering dust in an unattended corner of their storage area, and that the immediacy of having an deeply unsatisfied customer physically present might prompt some initiative on the part of the good UniFor members. Astonishingly, the agent informed me that the bag was due to arrive in about twenty minutes....on a flight from Whitehorse!

Bear in mind, this is a carryon bag that I expected to roll all the way to my Vancouver destination, and back!

Irate, I sought to rebook on another carrier for my return journey, but there were no palatable alternatives. So, I find myself on AC 104, winging my way for what I expect will be my last visit to the airport where I used to watch Constellations, Viscounts and North Stars take off and land, with my father, when we lived in a new subdivision a few kilometers to the east of the airfield.

To those who believe, as I do, that private enterprise offers a far more effective alternative to provide products and services people need, than public sector stewardship, Air Canada stands as a glaring contradication to that dogma. My experience shows that they have made no progress since the “We Aren’t Happy Until You’re Not Happy!” days as pork-barrel Crown Corporation, staffed with ruling party flunkies and entitled bargaining unit members.

And, so, Air Canada, farewell. Pasting stickers on every fuselage quoting a magazine nobody’s heard of naming you the Best North American Airline doesn’t make it so.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d792cb142.jpeg
I’ve never been to Whitehorse, but my carryon has!

Since your bag was not carry on size, maybe checking it would have been better idea?. I'm sorry about your troubles, but I'm happy AC would not allow your oversize bag onto the flight. There is way to much Sh?t being taking on board flights these days. To many people think they can take anything on board as long as they call it "Carry On". May last flight to YYC was delayed 10 min, with paxs with oversized bags not fitting anywhere.

Bohemian1 Feb 7, 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by see2xu (Post 30750952)
Certainly, I chose CP Air, Wardair, and latterly, Canadian Airlines, far more often during my frequent flyer days in Canada, having had my fill of Air Canada back then. I have been told that they’ve “pulled up their socks” lately, by those who still use them regularly, but the culture doesn’t seem to have changed much, at least in this one experience.

Tempting the FT Gods, the one thing a lot of us can agree on is that the AC service experience is very variable. Unacceptably so for many.

Which leads to a healthy, and sometimes tedious, discussion of do they care enough about their customers to make it more consistent.

see2xu Feb 7, 2019 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 30750949)
One wonders how many dollars saved incites a person to make such a departure from routine, and opt for a less-savoury route.

I believe an airline should never lose any checked bag in these days of bar code wizardry and available technology perfected by large package delivery companies. Perhaps this situation was exacerbated by an airside check coupled with the request to claim the bag at the connecting airport? I'm assuming your bag lacked any sort of bar code until it arrived at Whitehorse, which your photo seems to support. I'm not sure what the aversion is to the "notoriously slow YVR handling", but the likelihood of the bag arriving with you in Vancouver would have been greater had you simply checked it at your origin.

I can't dispute your desire to move your business and your bags elsewhere. Fortunately, there exist alternatives.

Hello United? American? WestJet?

I rely on reports by my fellow YVR travelers to gauge the time it takes YVR to deliver checked baggage, can’t recall the last time (other than this recent travesty) that I’ve had anything to pick up there. The upcharge to Delta was roughly $1200USD at the time, about 50% above the AC fare. However, considering the $600CAD I spent to be at least minimally respectably attired, in clean clothes, at the meetings, the cab fares down and back to YVR from the city centre, and the non-monetary value of sleeping well and being free of anxiety while awake, make the “bargain” less attractive. Rest assured, I won’t succumb to the siren lure again. And, I’m reimbursed for the fare anyway, I was just trying to be responsible with their shareholders’ money.

see2xu Feb 7, 2019 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm (Post 30750980)
Since your bag was not carry on size, maybe checking it would have been better idea?. I'm sorry about your troubles, but I'm happy AC would not allow your oversize bag onto the flight. There is way to such Sh?t being taking on board flights these days. To many people think they can take anything on board as long as they call it "Carry On". May last flight to YYC was delayed 10 min, with paxs with oversized bags not fitting anywhere.

It’s a legal bag, and is sitting 1m above me right now, wheels-in, on AC’s A320. I may have the size wrong. It’s a Tumi TegraLight IATA-legal rollaboard, bought a couple of years ago. It fits up top on everything I’ve flown recently, aside from the commuters with airside check/retrieval. But, I haven’t flown a museum-quality, unrestored 767-300 in quite a while.

Often1 Feb 7, 2019 12:41 pm

The error was that OP did not properly check it in as AC's rules require. The maximum longest dimension is 21.5" (x9x15.5). Whether the bag fits in a particular bin is wholly irrelevant. Perhaps had the bag carried an automated rather than manual tag resulting from the FA having to enforce the rules, it would not have been delayed.

OP will have to look far and wide for a US carrier which permits a 24" bag.

5mm Feb 7, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 30750949)

I believe an airline should never lose any checked bag in these days of bar code wizardry and available technology perfected by large package delivery companies. Perhaps this situation was exacerbated by an airside check coupled with the request to claim the bag at the connecting airport? I'm assuming your bag lacked any sort of bar code until it arrived at Whitehorse, which your photo seems to support. I'm not sure what the aversion is to the "notoriously slow YVR handling", but the likelihood of the bag arriving with you in Vancouver would have been greater had you simply checked it at your ori

I agree that bags should never get lossed with bar code tags and should be always trackable. The problem is that lost bags are usually caused by airport baggage systems not scanning properly than airlines actual making the mistake. YVR baggage system is general bad.

CZAMFlyer Feb 7, 2019 12:45 pm

Losing a bag as you arrive for meetings must suck. Not sure that YVR has any issues with regular bag delivery once the AC staff drop it off at the inbound bag pier, but I only claim checked bags there once or twice per year, following longer trips. If you need to get from the city centre to the airport in a hurry next time, try the Canada Line. It'll cost $11.50 or less for a round trip that is often faster than a taxi, and at worst 5 minutes slower in each direction. Depends on which hotel you use, I suppose.

Hope your next trip contains less stress. I used UA (and before that, US Airways) when I used to fly between YVR and RSW. Never any dramas.

CZAMFlyer Feb 7, 2019 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm (Post 30751019)
I agree that bags should never get lossed with bar code tags and should be always trackable. The problem is that lost bags are usually caused by airport baggage systems not scanning properly than airlines actual making the mistake. YVR baggage system is general bad.

It doesn't appear so in this case. Do you have any data to back up the claim of "general bad", or any particular function that disappoints? Is it originating bags, connecting bags or delivery to carousel that you view as poor?

The baggage system is undergoing major overhaul, which will improve the speed that bags transit the labyrinth under the terminal. Of course, the airport itself doesn't assume any responsibility for the bags until the ground handlers have offloaded them from the airplane and driven to the appropriate airside belt. After that happens, the delivery stats which I have seen suggest that the rate of misplaced bags in Vancouver is really quite low and compares very favourably to other Canadian airports.