Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Automatic Upgrades on certain M class fares to certain locations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Upgrades on certain M class fares to certain locations?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2003, 4:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I have found on various web sites, and also by calling AC, and also by communicating with Empress - that the fare basis CMA33UPS - as Empress has indicated - can be obtained with an economy booking code (in my case, M), or with a business class booking code (in that case, C). The fares are identical - why would anyone (passenger, travel agent) want to book the M booking code (except through ignorance - if one did not know that AC has this special transborder promotion - whereby the M booking code requires upgrade certs, if applicable (depending on one's tier status), and the C booking code automatically has you booked in business class).

I have just left a voice mail message with the corporate travel agent (of the pharmaceutical company, which is sponsoring the meeting in MIA) - let us see what the travel agent state.

[This message has been edited by FlyerGoldII (edited 06-16-2003).]
Old Jun 17, 2003, 7:54 am

I just booked my next trip to MIA yesterday, and was told my travel agent that CMA3UP fare is no longer exist on this route. I have been using this fare for many times starting from the beginning of this year. Although the C class is wide open, now I have to use my upgrade coupon to get a J seat.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 9:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Two days ago, I spoke to my travel agent, that the MIA to YOW route, one can purchase (even via the AC web site, as of 24 hrs ago) a M or a C booking code ticket, either of which can be bought at CMA3UPS fare basis - and the same fare! The agent did not believe the computer - so she called AC - they confirmed it.

Therefore, she cancelled the M booking code/CMA3UPS fare basis, and rebooked as a C booking code/CMA3UPS fare basis - no difference in fares - no penalty to switch.

Thank you, Empress - your advice really helped! Although I could have obtained an upgrade (using my Elite NA upgrade certificates) on the M booking class; I did not have to do that as the agent switched directly into C booking class/code.

The problem is that the computer reservations system, AC web sites, other web sites, do not forewarn a TA or a passenger that there are 2 booking codes, for this fare basis, and this fare. Unless one knows that fact, they will not look for this fare (basis) in conjunction with a C booking code. I am sure that many passengers can short-changed this way - esp those without upgrade certificates - they miss their chance to be booked in the business class cabin.

I wonder if there is any way that AC can make it obvious on its web sites, and on the various computer reservations systems - that these 2 booking codes appear with the same fare basis, and the same fare. What is the point of offering this promotional fare, if nobody knows about it.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:28 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BTlover:
I just booked my next trip to MIA yesterday, and was told my travel agent that CMA3UP fare is no longer exist on this route. I have been using this fare for many times starting from the beginning of this year. Although the C class is wide open, now I have to use my upgrade coupon to get a J seat. </font>
Assuming you are starting from YYZ, this fare is still available. Nothing has changed.

FlyerGold, glad you got it sorted out. AC sales department regularly let the TAs know about these fares, so they really should have known about it.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:16 pm

Empress, you are right. I called my travel agent again last Friday, and found out that M class and CMA3UP class have a price difference of $1.64. My first agent helped me to save this $1.64. Anyway, I have the ticket re-issued, and now booked in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.