Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Automatic Upgrades on certain M class fares to certain locations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Upgrades on certain M class fares to certain locations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:31 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

[This message has been edited by Empress (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:34 pm

On the bright side - if PreferBulkhead is flying between Apr 1 and May 31, he'll get double miles (not Q).
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:35 pm

Oops... nevermind. I just found the catch. Only AC operated flights are eligible.
Code:
FLT APPLIC  - MUST NOT BE VIA AC FLT 4000-5999

[This message has been edited by Ken hAAmer (edited 03-12-2003).]
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:36 pm

Knew there was a reason why UA doesn't have an equivalent fare.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:40 pm

Smart a$$.

Yeah, yeah. I know.

"Empress is always right."
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:43 pm

Strangely enough AA offers First class fares on YYZ-SAN for less than the AC CMA3UP business class fare.
Old Jun 7, 2003, 9:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I will be going to two meetings to USA in the next 2 weeks; one to LA, and a second to Miami.

One flight is booked on UA to Miami (codeshared on AC from Ottawa to Dulles), and return on AC to Ottawa (ie 2 one-way etickets). I suspect that the AC is full-fare economy (US travel agent booked it, for US $777). If this fare is a Y or M class fare, it may not automatically be upgraded to the business class cabin? If this is the case, could I change to fare basis of my ticket, without penalty, by going directly to the airline.

In the second case, I am in the process of booking a fare to LAX - leaving Ottawa in 9 days, and coming back 1 or 2 days later. I presume that the travel agent will want to book the cheapest fare - would it be the upgradeable M fare (automatically)?
Old Jun 7, 2003, 12:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:
If this fare is a Y or M class fare, it may not automatically be upgraded to the business class cabin? If this is the case, could I change to fare basis of my ticket, without penalty, by going directly to the airline.</font>
No. Since the ticket was booked via a TA, it has to be done by them.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">In the second case, I am in the process of booking a fare to LAX - leaving Ottawa in 9 days, and coming back 1 or 2 days later. I presume that the travel agent will want to book the cheapest fare - would it be the upgradeable M fare (automatically)?</font>
if I am not mistaken, there are some cheap fares that do not require Sat stay and are booked in Q. Your TA can give you a better answer since they know your exact dates.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I have spoken to AC agent, on the reservations toll-free number, earlier today.

1. For the flight from Ottawa to Miami, booked one way as a UA ticket (from Ottawa to Miami, via Dulles, with UA codeshared on the AC flight), and an AC ticket, on the return ticket, back to Ottawa.

The return ticket was booked on a CMA3UP fare basis, and a M booking code, by the American travel agent (I always get the terms "fare basis" and " booking code" always mixed up). I am booked right now to occupy an economy cabin seat (on both the Miami to Toronto, as well as the Toronto to Ottawa, flights). There are a large number of C seats, available on both flights.

The AC ticket agent had never heard of a CMA3UP fare basis, with a M fare code. She reviewed the rules, and went over it with a supervisor, and came to the conclusion that a C... fare, and a M fare code were inconsistent and contradictory, and that my seats must have been booked on a unique corporate booking code/ fare basis (by the meeting sponsor's travel agency).

However, it does seem, from Empress' comments, that I should be able to go to an AC reservations agent, and be able to confirm the automatic upgrade. What should I do next - quote the appropriate AC regulation (CIC#?)?

2. For the flight from Ottawa to LAX - departure 7 days from now, and return 8 days from now, the tickets were booked and purchased today, by the sponsor's travel agent. It was "B" fare code, with a total fare under $2500; a CMA3UP fare would cost about $500 more. I wonder, under what circumstances, for an AC return ticket on a transborder route, without a Sat night stay, is the maximal time before flight departure, that the cheapest ticket that one can purchase is a M class ticket (or CMA3UP).
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:19 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:
However, it does seem, from Empress' comments, that I should be able to go to an AC reservations agent, and be able to confirm the automatic upgrade. What should I do next - quote the appropriate AC regulation (CIC#?)?</font>
You cannot. This fare was booked via a travel agent and can only be changed via your travel agent. I (and AC) can never give you a certain answer since we don't know how your TA booked the ticket. It could be a special one way fare (fare basis not matching booking class is very common on tickets booked from TAs), it could be that you can only be booked in Economy class for this conference? Bottom line - talk to your TA, not AC!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I wonder, under what circumstances, for an AC return ticket on a transborder route, without a Sat night stay, is the maximal time before flight departure, that the cheapest ticket that one can purchase is a M class ticket (or CMA3UP).</font>
"MA3", the 3 denotes 3 days advance purchase. It's hard to provide you with a general answer because the fare structure is not identical for all transborder city pairs.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:29 am

Empress:

I am further confused by this response, and your earlier responses, with this thread. Let me explain my interpretation of what is the situation, and ask you, if I am correct?

An automatic upgrade requires a booking code "C", and a fare basis "CMA3UP" (irrespective of whether the ticket is booked by a travel agent, or by AC directly?)? In this case, a ticket with this booking code and fare basis would often (but not always) cost about the same as another ticket with a booking code M, and a fare basis M_____ - this latter ticket is not automatically upgradeable?

A booking code of "M", and a fare basis of "CMA3UP" (actually, the fare basis is "CMA3UPS"), is one that is often booked by a travel agent (as in my case), where the booking code, and the first code of the fare basis are different. The type of upgrade, is determined by the letter of the booking code, not by the first letter of the fare basis? In this case, the booking code is "M", and so my seat would not be automatically upgradeable?

You are asking to see what rates would the travel agent get, if she booked a ticket a booking code M/fare basis CMA3UP, vs a booking code C/fare basis CMA3UP - it may or may not be the situation that the second possibility is more expensive than the first, or it is also possible that there may be no difference in charges between the 2 possible tickets. It is her job to purchase, on behalf of the meeting sponsor, the cheapest ticket that she can get.

Thsnks.

FlyerGoldII
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA, AC
I've purchased these "xxxUP" fares several times (AC and AA). According to my understanding, your question about these being "upgradeable" is not applicable because these are business class fares. If you purchase a ticket with MA3UP fare basis, for example, you have a seat in the J cabin -- end of story. This, of course, requires availability of C-class inventory. I'm not sure if they will sell you the MA3UP if the inventory is unavailable.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 2:47 pm

On these 2 flights, there are plenty of C class seats available.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, AC
CMA3UPS gives you a seat in J. It's a business class fare with very few restrictions other than ticket 3 days before departure.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 3:30 pm

If only this were true, I would not have been forced to endure my first AC economy flight of the year last Sunday. Since running out of SWUs (flying YYZ-EWR/LGA) I've been regularly flying on CMA3UPS fares when available. These DO require C inventory in order to confirm a seat up front.

As C inventory is often zeroed out to/from LGA, I'm usually waitlisted for my C seat (though the flight always seems to be showing at least J6). My upgrades tend to come through... but not always. In terms of upgrade priority these are on par with regular M fares, putting me behind those SEs with full Y bookings.

-Zombie-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.