Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just did curb to gate at YYZ TB (emphasis on TB) in 9 minutes. 11 minutes curb to seat. New record.

I was really hoping to switch to a flight one hour later, but it was delayed 70 minutes, and I couldn't arrive 130 minutes later. So I had to bail on my cousin's wedding (I had been misled as to its expected conclusion time). Stepping out of the Uber at 1500 for a 1530 departure is... a little scary.

I'm flying in a suit for the first time ever. Original plan was to shower and change in the MLL. Now I have to get from LGA to Manhattan in this attire.

Also I've never been to NYC before (excluding connections, airport hotels, and an EYW shuttle ride from EWR to LGA, which I don't count).
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by 24left
Yes, a few of us were discussing it last week. I know 2 of us mentioned interest in signing up.
Oh. Maybe a mini do after the run? :P

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I really really want to, but cannot find a feasible way unless I drive from Clearwater to YVR after work, catch a redeye, do the run, then fly back and drive up to 100 Mile House (the 2 job sites are maybe 90 min apart ... if I do the YYZ thing my drive time increases to ~12-13 hours.)

I will keep searching obscure flights, if I see a reasonable option, I'm in.

I have heard of the Sunday work travels but Saturday work travels - big oof. Hopefully you will find a route and reach! It's been awhile since I was in YVR!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

What Saturday night in August would work for people for a YVR do?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Land at YVR around 8 PM on the 17th...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I have heard of the Sunday work travels but Saturday work travels - big oof. Hopefully you will find a route and reach! It's been awhile since I was in YVR!
Well basically the plan was not to bother going home between the two jobs to avoid the 12h drive.

August 10th is the one Saturday I'm in town.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I'd love to do the runway run but will be in EU at a conference. (Mr. FQ was planning to volunteer and I could enjoy it vicariously from his report.)
Old Aug 4, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Well basically the plan was not to bother going home between the two jobs to avoid the 12h drive.

August 10th is the one Saturday I'm in town.
Bleh. Are you somewhere that 15k Aeroplan miles could bring you into town?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:02 pm

Bleh. Are you somewhere that 15k Aeroplan miles could bring you into town?
Distance-wise yes, but not really, as I'm working each of them too. :/ Even more annoying, I wasn't working one of them but swapped it for day I now no longer need off.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Friends ! Long time no see... been so crazy at work that I haven’t had a chance to be back on the site. Missed you all!

Just a heads up that I’ve left Aerospace and joined the hospitality industry to take an executive role with AccorHotels , specifically for the Fairmont brand in Western Canada! I have an amazing friends and family discount for 4800+ properties in 100+ countries across 33 brands with Accor so shoot me a DM if you need a place to stay for cheap! Sofitel, Banyan Tree, SLS, Raffles, all part of the family glad to be back!
Congrats. I miss the days when I was Fairmont Plat - the Fairmont YVR was our corp hotel in YVR. Very kind of you to offer.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:22 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by vernonc
Congrats. I miss the days when I was Fairmont Plat - the Fairmont YVR was our corp hotel in YVR.
+1

The Fairmont Pac Rim is possibly my favourite (at any cost) hotel in Vancouver. I've been fortunate to snag the odd deal there for an occasional stay downtown but, like you, I miss those days when I was Fairmont Platinum.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Friends ! Long time no see... been so crazy at work that I haven’t had a chance to be back on the site. Missed you all!

Just a heads up that I’ve left Aerospace and joined the hospitality industry to take an executive role with AccorHotels , specifically for the Fairmont brand in Western Canada! I have an amazing friends and family discount for 4800+ properties in 100+ countries across 33 brands with Accor so shoot me a DM if you need a place to stay for cheap! Sofitel, Banyan Tree, SLS, Raffles, all part of the family glad to be back!
Congratulations on the new position. Fairmont properties are outstanding to stay at and have by far the most consistently excellent service.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Pro Parenting Tips from WTME - 8th Installment

Sorry for this week being a downer, but...

Yesterday afternoon a 14 (!!!!!) year old boy OD'd and died at a skate park mere blocks from our home.

Today I will walk my 13 year old daughter over to the site where there are candles etc and tell her about my experiences with drugs as a teenager and tell her that the dangers of drugs are not merely a rumor spread by parents and teachers.

The tip? Be vulnerable and honest with your kids, and find those moments where you can really teach them something with some impact.

To the parents, siblings, family, friends of the young boy; peace, love, and hope. Devastating.
vernonc, ffsim, pewpew and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 2:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope

Yesterday afternoon a 14 (!!!!!) year old boy OD'd and died at a skate park mere blocks from our home.

Today I will walk my 13 year old daughter over to the site where there are candles etc and tell her about my experiences with drugs as a teenager and tell her that the dangers of drugs are not merely a rumor spread by parents and teachers.

The tip? Be vulnerable and honest with your kids, and find those moments where you can really teach them something with some impact.

To the parents, siblings, family, friends of the young boy; peace, love, and hope. Devastating.
Also having a naloxone kit (free at the pharmacy depending on your province) and knowing how to use it can be the key to saving a life. I carry one around with me everywhere unless I'm out of the country
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by pewpew
Also having a naloxone kit (free at the pharmacy depending on your province) and knowing how to use it can be the key to saving a life. I carry one around with me everywhere unless I'm out of the country
Here in BC they're free and very accessible (and anonymous should that be a concern). Most large chains have them and a lot of the smaller stores too. I just wish the nasal spray was covered here, I think maybe Ontario covers it?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I keep hearing how I need to cherish the moments with single-digit aged kids because things only get more difficult as they grow.

Thank you for the powerful reminder and advice. Sincerely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.