Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Holy Costco, China!
Holy China, Costco!
Earlier today, I sent an article to @songsc and looking at the photos from that Costco in Shanghai, I wondered what Chairman Mao would think.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
Earlier today, I sent an article to @songsc and looking at the photos from that Costco in Shanghai, I wondered what Chairman Mao would think.
Reminds me of the first Ikea store opening in India recently. I think they did record sales in one day plus a humongous traffic jam.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Holy Costco, China!
Holy China, Costco!
Ah yes I saw this. And I thought the ones here were bad
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
Relevant:

ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
You would think that one of the places you would most likely trip over @24left would be here:

Sadly, not true.

Maybe exotic Kit Kats are more proximate to YYZ than those in MEL.
flyquiet and 24left like this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I had a dream last night where I was waiting in an airport terminal and a young woman bashed a police officer in the back of the head. I told him to please be understanding because she had just gotten off the phone with an AC CSR. And he was. Dreams are bizarre things.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I am currently in possession of a vehicle.

I figured, why not go refill my CO2 (for Coke Zero) while I have this perk.

The system was down at the store. They couldn't sell anything to anyone who didn't have an account and purchase order. No cash, no credit.

So I wasted an hour driving there and back. And I'm still out of CO2.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Gorgeous shot. 12:05 PM - 30 Aug 2019 The Snowbirds and the Red Arrows

Source tweet

And some cool video over the island airport today

Tweet

Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
They were all parked, along with their support aircraft, on the YYZ de-ice pad last night. Cool sight :-)
Old Aug 30, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100K, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, BW Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I am in GRU star alliance lounge. The place was packed!! Almost no place to sit.

I was planning to take a shower before the flight but they have a water issue so no shower
Old Aug 30, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

The system was down at the store. They couldn't sell anything to anyone who didn't have an account and purchase order. No cash, no credit.

Seen this before. I don’t get it, when I worked in retail albeit 15+ years ago when things crashed we would still take cash and had old style swipe machines to deal with cards. I think any large orders were verified by phone given the lack of automated checking.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94

Seen this before. I don’t get it, when I worked in retail albeit 15+ years ago when things crashed we would still take cash and had old style swipe machines to deal with cards. I think any large orders were verified by phone given the lack of automated checking.
They said they couldn't even open the registers.

Also, 15+ years ago is not today. I also remember the swipe machines during blackouts when I was a kid. But the accounting overhead of manually processing that, combined with increased fraud, might make it not worthwhile.

I didn't have enough cash on me, but I would have gone to an ATM if they'd said I could.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:40 pm

Yeah I get the card stuff could change, and doing all the processing the day after was a massive pain ... but cash is king surely. Seems flawed to me.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

Conspiracy.
canadiancow and theBeachBoy like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

In related news, Renee Smith-Valade was seen boarding a flight at SFO in overalls and a toolbox, looking very pleased with herself.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.