Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition and 2018 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by 24left
Thanks to @yyznomad and @SteadyAT for lunch today and for suggesting I post our gastronomic adventure. Recovery will take a while.
I think I can probably tell who ordered what lol.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
A sad (for me) statement from my son just now about Halloween.

"I used to just give all of my KitKats to Dad, but now I trade them with my friends."
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by smallmj

"I used to just give all of my KitKats to Dad, but now I trade them with my friends."
Well, he is growing up.

And is 24left a friend of your son?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:07 am

This may be a long shot, but I will still give it a try, as they are many smart people on FT

We currently have a messaging feature in our app. Users can join different channels to view messages, users can also get push notifications by muting/unmuting a channel. We use a channel_participant table to store these settings, and mark the last read message. One record in the table stores a user's status and settings in a specific channel.

We now want to introduce a thread feature. A user can start a thread on an existing message. An easy solution is to treat every thread as a channel, copy the entries in the channel_participant table, and change the channel_id from the parent channel to the new thread. This works, but now we have one record for each user in each channel and each thread in channel_participant table. My gut is telling me I don't need to create these many records. I can derive the user's subscription to threads based on user's subscription to the parent channel, but it won't work for recording the last read message in a thread, or if a user want to mute a thread but not the whole channel.

So, am I missing something?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by songsc
The unhelpful response: Stop using relational databases except for niche use-cases with tightly defined data models. Using an RDBMS for backing application logic is a bad idea and you are discovering why right now.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
The unhelpful response: Stop using relational databases except for niche use-cases with tightly defined data models. Using an RDBMS for backing application logic is a bad idea and you are discovering why right now.
Yea this is unhelpful to my team but helpful to me so thanks.

I don't recall how many times I wanted to write the entire code base from scratch lol
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:29 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Well, he is growing up.

And is 24left a friend of your son?
I have this image in my head of @24left quickly scanning what's in the trick or treater's bucket or bag and deftly lifting the Kit Kats out and palming them as the new treats are deposited.

Of course I'm mostly evil. Although I was careful last night not to hand out the cups of mulled wine to anyone under 18.
YYC traveler likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I have this image in my head of @24left quickly scanning what's in the trick or treater's bucket or bag and deftly lifting the Kit Kats out and palming them as the new treats are deposited.
All your KitKat are belong to 24left
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
All your KitKat are belong to 24left
Nah. She went trick or treating herself.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by vernonc
Nah. She went trick or treating herself.
@vernonc
Nah, she was busy as per colourful post above

Originally Posted by 24left
Thanks to @yyznomad and @SteadyAT for lunch today and for suggesting I post our gastronomic adventure. Recovery will take a while. ......
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
This may be a long shot, but I will still give it a try, as they are many smart people on FT

We currently have a messaging feature in our app. Users can join different channels to view messages, users can also get push notifications by muting/unmuting a channel. We use a channel_participant table to store these settings, and mark the last read message. One record in the table stores a user's status and settings in a specific channel.

We now want to introduce a thread feature. A user can start a thread on an existing message. An easy solution is to treat every thread as a channel, copy the entries in the channel_participant table, and change the channel_id from the parent channel to the new thread. This works, but now we have one record for each user in each channel and each thread in channel_participant table. My gut is telling me I don't need to create these many records. I can derive the user's subscription to threads based on user's subscription to the parent channel, but it won't work for recording the last read message in a thread, or if a user want to mute a thread but not the whole channel.

I think what you may be missing is the several days work (and years of debugging) in replacing your NIH solution with a wrapper around the likes of ActiveMQ or some other JMS implementation.

Syncing channels (chat channels and threads) between login sessions still needs to be done, but you've either already done that or don't care.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC 50K

Does that mean he is trading them for a different type of candy? Perhaps, he has reached the age where a monetary incentive is required...

On a related note, very happy to show up to work last night and the boss had a giant box of mini kit kats...which were then piled on my desk. Sometimes working Halloween has it's benefits!!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
If you haven't watched Succession you're doing television all wrong.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
If you haven't watched Succession you're doing television all wrong.
Season 2 = gold
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
IMHO, Marchand is even more annoying than Barnaby ever was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.