Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada SOC - Systems Operations Control

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

From the Air Canada Media Features page

At Air Canada, Systems Operations Control is always watching out for you

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...xJm0Qgg-RyM6ZE

I can tell you that this centre is impressive and Kevin O'Connor is awesome. We don't often think about the operation of an airline or how the team at AC SOC manages all that they do. Regardless of the complaints we voice here on FT, this is an impressive place and some of the best people are there.

AC7E7, Bohemian1 and eracerblue like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Very cool- thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: FOTSG
Working in Jazz's SOCC was one of the coolest things I have ever had the privilege of doing! It was such a unique experience to be "behind the curtain" and learn how an airline actually operates. I so wish every member of the travelling public could have the opportunity to sit in the SOCC at a major airline to see just how many decisions need to be made on a daily basis to keep an airline and its passengers flowing (as best as possible).

I had a ton of fun working there! Sometimes I wish I still was!
24left and eracerblue like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Seems like yesterday that AC opened this facility as noted here. How time flies...
24left and arf04 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
......I so wish every member of the travelling public could have the opportunity to sit in the SOCC at a major airline to see just how many decisions need to be made on a daily basis to keep an airline and its passengers flowing (as best as possible)........
Absolutely. Your comment and the article reminded me of a tweet I read and saved:

Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Regardless of the complaints we voice here on FT, this is an impressive place and some of the best people are there.
Most of the credible complaints aren't about the fact there is a delay; it's about the frontline communication and ability to initiate empowered solutions.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
Working in Jazz's SOCC was one of the coolest things I have ever had the privilege of doing! It was such a unique experience to be "behind the curtain" and learn how an airline actually operates. I so wish every member of the travelling public could have the opportunity to sit in the SOCC at a major airline to see just how many decisions need to be made on a daily basis to keep an airline and its passengers flowing (as best as possible).

I had a ton of fun working there! Sometimes I wish I still was!
Agree completely. Whether it is called an OCC, NOCC, or SOCC - the functionality is the same with many moving parts: flight planning, weight-and-balance, crew scheduling, day-of-operations programming, IRROPs programs, meteorology Dept, etc. Each of these pieces has to work and if not, then your operation grinds to a halt.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
One of my old transport professors began his course by observing that there are three things that many people think they can run better than the professionals:

1. A restaurant
2. A major league sports franchise.
3. A transportation provider - e.g., air/rail/bus carrier

Then he went on to teach us how wrong that conventional wisdom was, at least on point 3.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Tour of AC Systems Operations Control

Look forward to seeing the story about this in the weeks ahead:
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:05 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
What?

They didn't invite us?

Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Livyer
Look forward to seeing the story about this in the weeks ahead: https://twitter.com/EddieSheerr/stat...85925845377026
For those who can't see the tweet link in the original post.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Most of the credible complaints aren't about the fact there is a delay; it's about the frontline communication and ability to initiate empowered solutions.
Indeed. Folks in the SOC may be doing whatever they're doing, but it doesn't alleviate my frustration when I'm sitting on a plane at the gate that doesn't have a crew and 45 minutes later, nobody has been told what's happening. Or when a pilot says "we are going to leave in about 10 minutes" when he's fully aware that maintenance has just been called for an issue that will take a minimum of an hour to address. It's this stuff and infamous "rolling delays" that make passengers think AC is incompetent.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Indeed. Folks in the SOC may be doing whatever they're doing, but it doesn't alleviate my frustration when I'm sitting on a plane at the gate that doesn't have a crew and 45 minutes later, nobody has been told what's happening. Or when a pilot says "we are going to leave in about 10 minutes" when he's fully aware that maintenance has just been called for an issue that will take a minimum of an hour to address. It's this stuff and infamous "rolling delays" that make passengers think AC is incompetent.
Or the gate agent insisting that "the flight will depart on time" 10 minutes before the scheduled departure time with no aircraft at the gate.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Behind the scenes with Air Canada - ntv.ca

Air travel seems pretty simple. Pack your bags, go to the airport, get on the plane and go. However there is a side of it we don’t see. A side where an army of people work hard behind the scenes to make our flying experience almost seamless.

“SOC or Systems Operation Control is a centralized location made up of multiple departments that oversees Air Canada’s daily operations,” says Kevin O’Conner, Air Canada’s Vice President of Systems Operation Control.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
eigenvector likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 5:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.