Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Tight YYZ international connection time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tight YYZ international connection time

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Tight YYZ international connection time

My wife might be flying AC in economy SFO-YYZ-AMS next June. One option has a tight connection time of one hour and six minutes. (The minimum on the AC site is one hour.) She'll just have carry-on bags. She has US Global Entry, but not the Canadian equivalent. (Sorry I forgot the name of the program.)

Also, both her flights would be 789s, so I'm wondering if by some chance this is the same plane that continues all the way on that route.

In any event, any thoughts and/or advice on her chances of making the connection?

Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I wouldn't chance it. I did a similar US-Domestic connection last week. The problem is once you clear Canadian immigration, even with Nexus, you get kicked out to groundside and have to re-clear security and get to your gate.

Might be doable under ideal conditions, but a lot can go wrong to cause delays.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K
A US-INTL connection is not comparable to a US-Canada connection.

If you’re transiting to an international connection, you don’t need to collect bags or reclear security, and the customs check is a basic check at the transit point.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sopwith
I wouldn't chance it. I did a similar US-Domestic connection last week. The problem is once you clear Canadian immigration, even with Nexus, you get kicked out to groundside and have to re-clear security and get to your gate.

OP's wife would not need to do any of those things. Just minimal checks on passport/BP IIRC. I still wouldn't chance it because SFO-YYZ is delayed for me more often than not.

OP, is there no way to book one of the earlier flights out of SFO? UA will be flying that route and AC has flights at 7:35am and 9:55am which gives a nicer buffer than 12:00pm.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:27 pm

I'd book this flight. If something happens it'll be up to the airline to reroute. IIRC there is just a quick passport check on the way to the int'l pier which doesn't take too long.

Originally Posted by Sopwith

I wouldn't equate the procedure for USA-YYZ-Domestic to USA-YYZ-International (AMS). FWIW I've done plenty of USA-domestic connections at YYZ where my inbound was late and I made the connection with less than 30 minutes on several occasions. In those cases I wouldn't use Nexus, but use the OSS bus instead.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks a lot for the quick and much appreciated replies, folks.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX

OP, is there no way to book one of the earlier flights out of SFO? UA will be flying that route and AC has flights at 7:35am and 9:55am which gives a nicer buffer than 12:00pm.
The noon flight out of SFO would be better for her in terms of work, which is why I asked. But the others might be possible and certainly do provide that buffer. Thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Okay, I stand corrected.

But if it was me, I still wouldn't chance it, mainly because any delay on the inbound leaves you exposed to a misconnect.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I'd book this flight. If something happens it'll be up to the airline to reroute. IIRC there is just a quick passport check on the way to the int'l pier which doesn't take too long.

I wouldn't equate the procedure for USA-YYZ-Domestic to USA-YYZ-International (AMS). FWIW I've done plenty of USA-domestic connections at YYZ where my inbound was late and I made the connection with less than 30 minutes on several occasions. In those cases I wouldn't use Nexus, but use the OSS bus instead.
Where did you see the Nexus stand for connecting pax?? I Did USA-YYZ-domestic last Friday, they don't accept Nexus at the Connecting Customs agent. It's a small 3-4 agents stand. Then took the bus from the 250 something gates to Domestic terminal. Overall landed at 10:42 pm and my 2nd leg departed the runway at 11:10pm (no joke, on a Friday, did everything in 28 minutes - was the last one to board, I did not really run at YYZ even thought it was my first time).
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by royal757
Where did you see the Nexus stand for connecting pax?? I Did USA-YYZ-domestic last Friday, they don't accept Nexus at the Connecting Customs agent. It's a small 3-4 agents stand. Then took the bus from the 250 something gates to Domestic terminal. Overall landed at 10:42 pm and my 2nd leg departed the runway at 11:10pm (no joke, on a Friday, did everything in 28 minutes - was the last one to board, I did not really run at YYZ even thought it was my first time).
Previous poster precisely said he did not use Nexus because he used the OSS thing. Which indeed does not take nexus.My experience has been the opposite though, often a long line at OSS so not worth it if you have nexus, better go through the normal exit using nexus, and go through security again on the domestic side. But I guess it all depends upon the time of the day and how busy OSS is.Anyway, none of this is related to the OP's issue. But yes, I would go for the quick connection. Why give up without trying, when once you are in, it is the responsibility of the airline to bring you to destination, and rebook if needed?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stranger
Previous poster precisely said he did not use Nexus because he used the OSS thing. Which indeed does not take nexus.My experience has been the opposite though, often a long line at OSS so not worth it if you have nexus, better go through the normal exit using nexus, and go through security again on the domestic side. But I guess it all depends upon the time of the day and how busy OSS is.Anyway, none of this is related to the OP's issue. But yes, I would go for the quick connection. Why give up without trying, when once you are in, it is the responsibility of the airline to bring you to destination, and rebook if needed?
Different views I suppose. I would probably pad my connection rather than risk being rebooked on the same flight the next day since it's a 9pm flight. Does AC provide a hotel for that kind of rebooking if you're in Y?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Different views I suppose. I would probably pad my connection rather than risk being rebooked on the same flight the next day since it's a 9pm flight. Does AC provide a hotel for that kind of rebooking if you're in Y?
Good question. Most credit card insurances do however. (In that situation, I don't ask the airline, just book on my own and let the insurance go after the airline for whatever they pay.)
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER

The connection process for INTL-INTL (and on the inbound, US is equivalent to INTL) at YYZ is trivially easy. The 789 will park down by the hammerhead. You'll walk slightly past where the MLL is, scan your passport in a machine, and then walk out the other side right by the MLL.

I did SFO-YYZ-AMS with the same flights, and I think I had a good 45 minutes in the lounge.
vernonc likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:36 pm

When going USA to International via Canada, there is no customs or immigration to clear since technically you are not intending to stay (or leave items) behind in the country. Hence, the checks are very minor with luggage behind forwarded to final destination. That and MLLs are one of the few redeeming qualities of doing a Canadian connection. An hour is pushing it albeit as others have noted if you mis-connect it's on the airline to figure it out!

Certainly wouldn't want to spend more than 45 minutes in YYZ without MLL access, in which case it become a field day!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Above 2 posters are correct. It’s INTL-INTL. You go to the international connections area after you get off your plane. You scan your passport in the machine and it spits out a confirmation that you are connecting INTL. Passangers from the US do not even need to redo security (bags/xrays/etc) - they are allowed through the door inbetween the machines and security right through to “airside”. I have done PTY-YYZ-AMS a couple of times this year with a 1 hour connection. Had no issues even with having to do security after the machines
pilot007 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by royal757
He is saying that he would not use the NEXUS machines downstairs (and go landside, re-clear security), but to talk to a human like a savage and take the bus.

I take the bus whenever I can myself. I make a game of it, seeing how illegible I can make my declaration card without having to redo it. So far, no do overs, and my natural handwriting is nigh impossible to read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.